DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure of the best place for this post but hopefully I'll get an answer here.

I was just hoping someone could explain to me what photo etching is and how it works/is done. I don't ever do any customising of my models, I simply want to improve my knowledge, and every time photo etching gets mentioned somewhere I think to myself I must find out what it actually is.

So :feedback

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
G

·
Does cutting parts by hand result in a clean finished product or would some sort of machine be required.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
One of the problems with working with such thin or small items is that the tools you would normally use could actually destroy the piece you are trying to create. For example, when using tin shears, it bends the cut edge slightly up or down. Using a drill, the bits have a tendency to grab the surounding area and can pull and rip super thin metal in ways or areas that you didn't intend. I've make small cusom parts for plastic kits out of styrene and now after reading the how to - it definately seems like the way to go!!!

It actually sounds easier than cutting, drilling or shaping. All you do is draw your design (which you do anyways) and then dunk it for 10 minutes.

:cheers
Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.