DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A place to discuss the rules of Photo of the Month

My question. Currently, members can only nominate one photo for PotM. Is this a good rule? Should members be allowed to nominate several photos they enjoyed?

My answer is yes. The easy reasoning is sometimes I would like to nominate one of my photos, and add another photo I think is the best. Another reason, I like to get as many members involved as possible. So, I will go through the previous months threads and find a few really cool photos from members that do not get as much attention as the usual suspects. They totally deserve to have their photo shown off. And I don't think anyone else will nominate their photos. This happens every month. This month I did not nominate any photos. And as a result, a couple cool photos I thought were really cool and should have had a chance to go for the win is now on the sidelines. And none of my photos were nominated. I care less about my photo than others.

Why does this rule even exist? Get rid of it and let members nominate multiple photos.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
To me it's a useful rule that every member must not have more than one of his pictures in the contest.

But w.r.t. nominations I do not see why a member should not be allowed to nominate several photos from several persons?
I agree with your line of arguments, Jon.

This month I was in a similar situation like you:
I had nominated Eric's pictures and therefore the rules did not allow me to give one of my own photos into the competition.
Of course I knew in advance and I can live with that.

Frankly, I can't see what the benefit of this rule ?

But maybe there is a deeper reason and someone can enlighten me…

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to more than one nomination per member.

From a member's point of view, I think it would be nice to have that choice. There aren't usually many members willing to participate by nominating either their own work or somebody else's, so for the few who want take part and pick more than one, that should be allowed I think.

But what happens if one member nominates all of the pictures in a given month, and leaves nothing behind for other members? Would that be a case of allowing multiple members nominating the same photos? How would that work?

That takes me to the organizer's point of view: I think sorting through multiple pictures would make processing the whole thing a living nightmare.

Fantasy moment: the ideal solution, in my opinion, should be a forum software that would allow users to "flag" multiple photos they like, whenever they like, which would work as nominations with no need for a thread for that. Then the top 10 most "flagged" should automatically enter the contest the following month. But that only exists in my mind, unfortunately (though I could put something like that together).

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I see your point - but this can be solved easily:
Just let a couple of nominations be allowed per member (e.g. 3) - like each member has several votes in the poll.

Like your vision with flagging pictures but this would need some kind of technical support (sort of like button attached to each newpicture for example).
Have no idea whether something like this is feasible...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Like your vision with flagging pictures but this would need some kind of technical support (sort of like button attached to each newpicture for example).
Have no idea whether something like this is feasible...
I was a software developer for 22 years, so I know it's perfectly doable for someone with PHP/MySql (or any database system) skills.

Or as the saying goes: where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having multiple nominations for a single member can be annoying. But, that could happen now, regardless of how many nominations we get. I was about to nominate a different photo from Dave, but changed it.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
What if everyone could nominate 2 pics in every month: 1 own and 1 from other members. With the rule that every picture could only be nominated only once for sure, and every member could only be nominated with the maximum of 2 pics each month?

·
Premium Member
13,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What if everyone could nominate 2 pics in every month: 1 own and 1 from other members. With the rule that every picture could only be nominated only once for sure, and every member could only be nominated with the maximum of 2 pics each month?
I like everything except 2 pics per member. There is a max limit of 18 choices when creating a poll. So, that would limit the amount of members that can be nominated. But, I like the idea of being able to nom 1 own and 1 other photo.

·
Super Moderator
5,798 Posts
It's nice to nominate other people's photos but I actually prefer to nominate my own, because sometimes I take dozens to even hundreds of photos in one month, and there's one in particular that I'm very proud of.
Maybe other people here feel that way, and maybe some people don't feel like entering the contest altogether.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.