DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
First off, sorry I can't post pics for this one, my camera just does not do close-up work well, no macro function.
For a few years now, I have wondered how to make or reproduce pleated hose for such things as air induction systems, or brake cooling hoses. Playing around the past couple of days, I think I have figured out how. I made one up today but don't have anything to use it on right now. It requires a package of the small straws with the pleated section so you can bend them. Cut this pleated section out, even with where the pleats end on one end, and about 1/8th of an inch past where they end on the other end. On the end where you left a little portion of the straight part of the straw on, cut a very small "V' in the side, so that it can be compressed a bit and the next portion you cut out the exact same way can be super glued over it. Just do this over and over as long as you need it and you have a piece of pleated hose that can still be bent, and no mold lines!! Then paint it the desired color. . .

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Not a :badidea !

If you could find orange straws, that would be similar to the hi-temp hose we used to buy for the race cars. Black hose was usually just stuff we could pick up at a hardware store, white stuff was light weight clothes dryer hose that couldn't handle the stress of racing applications. The orange stuff we had to special order from the race car parts places. I think you could also find a light/powder blue in the hi-temp stuff eventually.

We had some pieces that had hose, then a straight section of aluminum tubing or pipe, and then some more hose. Depending on your application, don't cut off the straight part of the straw too quickly, you might just be in need of a silver Sharpie.

:nicejob

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Cool idea Eddie! I think those are referred to as "elbow straws". :nicejob :nicejob

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I agree with Darrick, Eddie - you've got a real talent for making parts out of every day items.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.