DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help in buying pin vises because of the range of the sizes of small drill bits that they hold.
Some have a range of 0 to 80. Others are in between these two marks. Others go from 60 and up. Is there a particular pin vise that one would use pretty much all the time for 1:18 scale? Also for 1:24 scale?

My next question is: what gauge wire does one use for spark plug wires for 1:18 and also for 1:24?

What size tubing and hoses are used for plumbing in 1:18 and 1:24 models?

Determining these sizes would then dictate what size drill bits one would need; this in turn determines what particular pin vises to own. Also, are there any "chuckable" pin vises made?

I am sure that many of you know the correct sizes in scale for wiring and hoses etc.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I will straight up admit I am pretty lazy when it comes to this stuff. I have two pin vises, one with a very fine bit in it, and another one with a larger bit in it. If the holes aren't big enough, I have a set of precision flat blade screw drivers that I have filed down to a sharp edge that I use to make the holes bigger so I don't have to be constantly changing bits in the pin vise. For spark plug wire for the 1:18th's I use whatever wire I can find, usually wire from an old non-working mouse. They have four wires in them that are different colors and approx. the right size. For heater hose, etc., I use wire from old boom boxes and stuff.

G

·
I wish it were that easy to give one or two clear-cut sizes. The problem is that depending on the authenticity or amount of detail your doing will determine the size of the bit and wire to use. For example, fuel lines, brake lines, and spark plug wires are all different diameters. Likewise the diameter for a braided fuel line from the fuel cell or a radiator hose are different from the ones previously mentioned. Now add the variation of die-cast car scale into the mix and it is easy to come up with numerous different pin vise bits and different wiring or hose mediums to use.

One of the many alternatives to consider would be a variable speed Dremel Moto-Tool. It normally comes with a small and separate large chuck for the various size bits. Dremel also makes a drill press set-up for clamping in a Dremel Moto-Tool to do detailed work. I also have a couple different pin vise hand tools.

Depending on the medium you are drilling you need to be careful with the Dremel as it can possibly melt plastic instead of boring through it.

There are also many different materials to source for wiring a die-cast. Depending on the scale, items such as solder, electrical wire, fishing line, model after-market companies scale braided line, hardware store stuff, discarded electrical garage junk, old or unused household wiring, etc. can be used.

Clear as mud,.... right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.