DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always curious about the little Pontiac Fiero since it always get mentioned in the kit car builds but i never thought of getting one in 1/18 until I stumbled across an eBay ad lately. It was made by Yatming and it is at least 20 years old. Compares to the usual Yatming subjects at the time this one is probably one of their smallest 1/18 offerings.

I am attracted by it perhaps the wedge design and being a humble 80s icon. And it greatly reminds me of the nimble Japanese sports cars of the 80s namely the Toyota MR2 mk1 and Nissan Pulsar NX.

Untitled by Jazzy 426, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. Yea the car does looks a bit high off the ground now you mention it. My only other Yatming was a white pre-HE Jag XJS which I sold shortly after I got the Autoart one in white as well. I won't mind getting one again but in BRG colour this time. They made quite a fair bit of classic Americans and i am somewhat tempted by their Buick Riviera offering. Their E Type series 3 and AM DB4 Zagato look pretty nice as well and I would have went with their E Type if I didn't already have the Autoart one.

·
American Expat In Europe
13,100 Posts
Hey Simon! Refreshing post! 👏 That said, I have my silver one here for review for over a year and haven't snapped my pics yet.

To be really honest, the model sits at the correct ride height, but the wheels need detailing, it throws off the look a bit, but Yat Ming nailed this one! I regret not buying red, because I was so used to it being the norm that I wanted something different. Now, I want red more than ever from Yat Ming. Hopefully a re-release is coming :) CHEERS!🥂

·
Registered
469 Posts
Another nice buy @jazzy426! I remember the 'little car that couldn't' due to GMs inability to reconcile engineering and design with finances stranglehold! It was a neat idea for a cheap and fuel efficient commuter car, but was saddled with the unrefined iron duke engine, potential for engine fires, and a host of other issues (including the infamous winking headlights) and conversion kits of course! Too bad as it had potential. I haven't seen one for decades now for obvious reasons.

The diecast looks well done for Yatming down to those hideous hubcaps! I like the inclusion of the sunroof too. And it definitely fits your wedge-shaped theme although the one without the ground effects looks 'wedgier' (?).

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another nice buy @jazzy426! I remember the 'little car that couldn't' due to GMs inability to reconcile engineering and design with finances stranglehold! It was a neat idea for a cheap and fuel efficient commuter car, but was saddled with the unrefined iron duke engine, potential for engine fires, and a host of other issues (including the infamous winking headlights) and conversion kits of course! Too bad as it had potential. I haven't seen one for decades now for obvious reasons.

The diecast looks well done for Yatming down to those hideous hubcaps! I like the inclusion of the sunroof too. And it definitely fits your wedge-shaped theme although the one without the ground effects looks 'wedgier' (?).
Cheers for that! I was drawn to the little Fiero because i find that be a rather charming little sports car plus it is the backbone of most kit cars out there 😁 Also reminds me of the 1st gen Toyota MR2 especially the backside. I quite like the hubcaps actually as it has the very 80s feel and reminds me of those hubcaps designs from Renaults and Isuzu Pazza from the similar era.

·
Registered
469 Posts
rather charming little sports car
Ironically, if memory serves me, and truthfully it hasn't always(😁), GM never promoted it as a 'sports' cars as they wouldn't allow anything to even remotely compete with the Corvette. Again, it's too bad as they were decent lookers and could've been decent cars with enough refinement. I recall 20 years ago seeing an immaculate red one with the V6 in a parking garage. The owner let me check it out and it was quite nice.

I quite like the hubcaps actually as it has the very 80s feel and reminds me of those hubcaps designs from Renaults and Isuzu Pazza from the similar era.
They definitely have that '80s vibe to them and very few could pull it off!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ironically, if memory serves me, and truthfully it hasn't always(😁), GM never promoted it as a 'sports' cars as they wouldn't allow anything to even remotely compete with the Corvette. Again, it's too bad as they were decent lookers and could've been decent cars with enough refinement. I recall 20 years ago seeing an immaculate red one with the V6 in a parking garage. The owner let me check it out and it was quite nice.

They definitely have that '80s vibe to them and very few could pull it off!
The second generation car was shaping up to be something special before GM pulled the plug.
CC Forgotten Future: 1990 Pontiac Fiero Prototype

The funny thing is the Buick Turbo 6 was in at least two cars that would dust the C4, the GNX and the 1989 Turbo Trans Am.

Those wheels are super 80s and showed up all over Pontiac’s lineup. I seem to remember seeing them on the Fiero, 2000/J2000/Sunbird, Grand Am and the Canadian market only Tempest (Corsica in the US). The Firebird / Trans Am had two versions of that wheel, a concave and a convex face model.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The second generation car was shaping up to be something special before GM pulled the plug.
CC Forgotten Future: 1990 Pontiac Fiero Prototype
This I never knew. Totally has a 4th gen Trans Am feel to it. No wonder they canceled it.

The funny thing is the Buick Turbo 6 was in at least two cars that would dust the C4, the GNX and the 1989 Turbo Trans Am.
Yup, that turbo 6 was something else. Funny enough the other turbo 6 in the Syclone/Typhoon embarrassed many other performance cars.

Canadian market only Tempest (Corsica in the US).
We got both here and they were truly POS in whatever flavour they came in.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Model looks good Jazzy! I often drive past a sad looking 1:1 outside a neighbours house, under a sheet and looking a bit worse for wear. They're pretty rare in Australia, but if someone wants a project I know where to find one! One of my other neighbours has a Cadillac Eldorado 1967 coupe in gold, now that is a car that I would love to have.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Sam. You are right about the Fiero being a unicorn in this part of the world. I don't recall seeing one in person around WA yet... while it maybe a mediocre sports car but i do quite like the 80s styling. And most Yatming models do look impressive for the price and they offer some rather interesting subjects over the years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts