DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally posted by JRO, merged with Gary's account of information.

I found this pic at a friends website. I never saw this painting scheme before, and it seems that UT people also never saw it :giggle
Any of you know something about this car? :feedback

Porsche GT2R

The 993 GT was Porsche's customer race car for the 1995 racing season and thereafter. Pitched against the likes of Chrysler's Viper, the Venturi 400 GTR and Callaway's Corvette, this latest 911 successfully went on to compete internationally for more than half a decade. It won the BPR Championship and its FIA-sanctioned replacement several times, class victories at the Le Mans 24 Hours having come on two seperate occasions. For homologation, 25 road-going examples were required, from which the racing variant had to be very closely derived.

Porsche's experience with the 964 Turbo S LM (raced by the factory between 1993 and '94) served as a useful inauguration for the GT. The new car featured a MacPherson front axle and Porsche multi-link rear axle with LSA system, adjustable Bilstein shock absorbers, an adjustable spring system, front and rear axle control arms fitted with Unibal joints and a front strut brace. Ride-height was dropped and three-piece cross-spoke BBS wheels fitted as standard. There was also a fixed-caliper internally vented ABS disc brake system with electro-hydraulic power assistance. Air-jacks were installed along with a 100-litre FT3 fuel tank and quick re-fuelling system, weight having been cut to the 1150kg class minimum. Porsche's twin turbocharged 3.6-litre flat six was equipped with two KKK 24 turbochargers and a pair of 33.8mm air restrictors, output having been 450bhp at an unchanged 5750rpm. There was a supplementary lubrication system with oil pump and oil cooler, reinforced six-speed manual transmission and single disc racing clutch. Outside, the adjustable rear spoiler had an elevated wing section but the racer was otherwise identical to the road car save for the presence of fastening pins on the front lid. Inside, each car was kitted out with an FIA roll cage, single Recaro racing seat with six-point harness, a fire-extinguishing system and a rudimentary dash. Customers could further enhance their cars by having supplementary nose-mounted light pods installed, essential for racing at night.

Thanks to its extra power and reduced weight, top speed rose to 188mph whilst 0-60 took just 3.5 seconds. The first customer examples were completed in early 1995, around 100 going on to be completed over the course of the next three years. During this time, the 993 accounted for the majority of starters in BPR and won the GT3 championship in both 1995 and '96. However, by 1997, Chrysler's Viper had established itself as the entry level car of choice. An improved version was called for and Porsche created the GT Evolution. Deliveries began in late 1997.

A choice of two versions was available, one for the FIA GT Championship and another for the ACO-sanctioned Le Mans 24 Hours. The Evolution differed from its predecessor with modifications to the engine, aerodynamics, chassis, braking system and a reduction in weight. The minimum class weight had by this time been reduced to 1100kg and these latest variants were right on the limit, 50kg lighter than before. Transverse stabilisers were reset on the front and back axles, ABS being eliminated for 1998 as dictated by the regulations (although it was still available by special request). Porsche adapted the brake hydraulics accordingly. The 3.6-litre twin turbocharged flat six engine was equipped with larger KKK 27 turbochargers and a new twin ignition system designed to increase power and reduce fuel consumption. There was also a new pressure-boosting control facility that optimised responsiveness and made it possible to specify the maximum pressure level more precisely. With their 40.4mm air restrictors, FIA GT versions developed 485bhp at 5750rpm. By contrast, anything up to 600bhp was available in unrestricted form, some cars even coming with 3.8-litre engines stroked to 78.1mm. Outside, wider wheels were covered by extended carbon fibre flares, a new lighteight front apron improving air flow to the oil radiators. This facilitated the use of smaller and lighter radiators and there was also a new elevated top section to the rear wing. Top speed rose to 194mph.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
The only reason I said that is because the numbers seem flat. The "3" seems to be the same size as the "2" when it should be fadding to a smaller size.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nope , its not a PS guys .

The actual livery did exist , as it was the livery that was on the GT2R presentation car when it was released .

Obviously its never been done in 1/18 scale , only by Vittesse in 1/43 , but a collector in Germany has done a custom with a UT GT2 and a decal set .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think we will ever see any more 993 GT2's come out by any company?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I don't think we will in the short term. Maxxximus mentioned that AUTOart now have a comprehensive Porsche license but re-releasing older UT 993s was very low on their list of priorities as they had so many other Porsche models they planned to release before re-doing the UT range. But of course to me that means they might eventually re-do them once they have released all the newer Porsche models they plan to do. :cheers :hope

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sir Gary,
Your image is from the transformed UT model :hot :hot
OMG, I want it!!!!

About the real car, thanks for the infos :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I have mixed feelings regarding this .

A top line GT2 / GT2 R would be great of course , and Im sure alot of collectors would welcome such a release , but as someone who has spent alot of money chasing down the HTF UT cars over the last 4 or 5 years , I would be worried that the new versions would de-value the existing cars .

Now I understand that it may not neccessarily be the case , and the rare UTs may always be more sought after , but to me its still a huge concern .

I wouldnt mind so much , providing that no existing colour or race livery were re released .
As AUTOart own the old UT moulds , I would guess that they would be the ones to re-release the car , if anyone .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.