DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
PORSCHE 911 GT3R STREET

The Porsche 911 GT3R Street car by Autoart is my next (& my 3rd) subject of my ongoing collection of 1:18 car reviews. No new photos for this cos my cam's still konk-ed out...so i hope these photos will be ok.... It's an Autoart, so expectations are high here. Let's hope its a good car. First off.....

PAINT

Paint. Let;s see here... basically the whole car here is white. with the occasional decal here and there, thin stripes of black along the sides of the roof and yellow for the wing mirrors. The paint application here is typical of most Autoarts and that means that the paintwork is very well applied, with nice even coating of paint and has a nice smooth finish to it. All is well. Autoart cars have a nice consistency in their paintwork and this car is further proof of that. Good job!

7/8

EXTERIOR

Exterior... Again, good work on the car, i have not seen the 1:1 before but i'm pretty sure this car is the correct scale, being an Autoart and all , i will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Starting off with the exterior details, one can see those wonderfully replicated light clusters up front. Beautifully done with some nice attention to detail there. the plastic used is very nice and not too thick, It gives a nice transparency to it for us to see inside to spot the headlamp unit, with the rest of the inner portion surrounding the headlamp in a nice black finish. No flaws there as well.

The front part of the car has proper mesh grilles which are perforated, along with the red tow-hook up front which is rather well done and is in a nice ring shape, not a flat piece of metal like the older UT GT2 Street EVO car. The front bonnet has locking pins replicated nicely, not as nice as minichamps though. They look like they are the same metal piece as the bonnet itself and not seperate pieces like in the minichamps cars i have. they are grey in color and not in metallic chrome paint , so it kinda looks flat. But it's not too bad to ick up a fuss about. The Porsche insignia is a decal , which i think on the 1:1 is correct as well. (I'm just guessing here, cos the GT3RS has a decal(sticker) too instead on a normal badge-to save weight) There is a cutout in the bonnet which is correct, and through that we can see the inside of the bonnet. The cutout also allows easy opening of the bonnet. (And the bonnet stays up very well!) Hurray! Without that cutout, opening the front would be much harder. I'm not sure if the race car has side repeaters but i doubt so, the 1:18 has no side repeaters in front of the front wheels. the front mesh in front of the front wheels are present though and are properly perforated as well.

There is a little hook thingy at the foot of the windscreen along with the decals for some kind of emergency thingy. I see this is all race cars and this one is no exception. Well made too. The GT3R type on the windscreen is probably a decal, but it is very nicely placed. The windscreen itself has blacked out parts from the inside. Good move there, keeps the finish of the windscreen very nice and smooth. The single wiper is nicely placed and well made as well.

Wing mirrors are well placed and are colored yellow. The single antennae on the roof sits nice and straight. So far so good. Door handles are replicated with just an average amount of detailing. The handles are just mouldings into the metal door , and there's no hollow space under the handle itself, so we can't use little fingernails to pry open the doors. They do have a nice small n thigt shutline gap though. Makes the car look really clean from the side. Side windows have a black border around them and look good, Again, the plastics used are not too thick.

Nothing much else from the sides of he car cos this car itself has a rather simple and clean design. Nothing bad about that. Keeps the air flowing nicely around it.

The rear wing is BIG! B-I-G ! But it is well made as well and lifting it up will reveal the engine. It stays up too so that's always a good thing (especially from Autoarts!)
The GT3R insignia is present on the rear, and so are the locking pins for the engine cover. There is a nice little red tow-hook at the back as well and that is also very well made. Exhaust pipes are of average quality though, they are not hollow and we CAN see that.

I do have a problem on one of my rear light clusters not sitting in flush with the bodywork. It seems to be not very well placed. I'm not sure if mine is a one-off but for an Autoart, this kind of error is well.... not very nice to see....

Overall for the exterior is not too bad... Great Effort on Autoart's part. Just wished that quality control was a tad better... The exterior of the car itself is a rather plain Jane. Not an exotic shape but most likely a design where form follows function.

6/8

INTERIOR

oops! no interior shots

Again, Autoart has done a good job on a cars interior. When u manage to pry open the door (which is NOT hinged properly i might add, it used them old DOGLEG hinges) , you are greeted by a rather spartan racing interior. The seat is labeled SPARCO along the side of the headrest and it is made of a nice felt texture. Seatbelts are made of a rubbery-cloth like material and they stretch back towards the roll cage which is nicely made as well. Some parts of the roll cage have the felt like meterial covering them and that is a nice touch. Good attention to detail here. The dash and transmission is plain and simple, no creature comforts for this racer. Interior of the car is mainly in white as well and i like that. there are some cables running along the insides but those are moulded out of the same interior piece and not seperate elements. If they were seperated and made of runner , that would have been superb.

Nice detailing in this car's interior, nothing really wrong with it but nothing to WOW me. And the WOW factor is the difference between a really good interior and an amazing one.
Again, Good effort, let down by some minute details.

Those dog-leg hinges are a definite No-No... I'll put the hinges under the interior section cos well, we only see em when we open up the doors right?

5/8

WHEELS & BRAKES

Wheels & Brakes, A-HA! something this car can be proud of!
The rubber used for the tyres feel great and the rims look sharp~!
Calipers? YEAP!
Calipers in a nice yellowish-goldish color with Porsche labels on em? YEAP!
Brake discs? YEAP!
Slotted Brake discs? YEAP!
Slotted Brake discs which spin with the wheel? YEAP! YEAP! YEAP!

No Problems here... let's move on!

6/6

ENGINE & UNDERCARRIAGE DETAIL

Engine, well.... to get to the engine, we just lift the engine cover , right? Doing so does let us see something.... But it's not much of something there at all, this is true in the case of 1:1 Porsches. We open up the back and we are greeted by a little lump of an engine... I guess to really SEE the engine we havto check out the Undercarriage. BUT before that, i'll open up the front first, There's no engine there but it's related, so i'll write about that too.

The front opens up nicely and stays up too. Revealing most likely the fuel cell area. Everything here is plastic and no seperate materials were used in the making of this part of the car. But all is not lost here, everything that should be here is most likely here and everything here is painted very very well. And the black border which is probably the rubber seal on a 1:1, is very nicely done, even though it is plastic, i had to use my finger to touch it before concluding that it is indeed , Not made of rubber.
So, well done on Autoart's part here. Good job! The front cover even takes a small amount of effort to get it closed from the"open" position, nice!

Lets now check out the undercarriage. Made of Plastic so it doesn't give the car a nice heavy feel which i so prefer. The undercarriage is mainly black with silver/grey for the engine and exhaust parts. The engine under the car is made of grey plastic with silver chromish plastic for the exhaust system. The black undercarriage has details moulded into it and not seperate pieces put together. Rather simple here, nothing to write home about.

Engine? well, still can;t see much from below i guess... lots of plastic i see. Metal would have been a great option but that would have pushed the price up which is always bad.

5/8

COMPETITION

No other manufacterer does the GT3R Street car as far as i know.
UT made the 993 verson years ago and that one , although not as detailed commands a much higher price... Blame Ebay!

6/6

DESIRABILITY

Ahh.... the desirability question...

Is it a nice car? Yes it is.

Is it a well made 1:18 diecast? Yes is sure is!

Is it worthy of the Autoart name? I don't see any reasons why not! in fact, Autoart should continue making cars of this quality.

Is it a value for $$$ car? Yes Yes Yes! (Esp. for me cos i got it at 50% off... cos someone tagged this car wrong....lucky me)

Is it a desirable car? Well, that one's sketchy, Get this car on your list if you like Porsches, if you like race cars and if u like street versions of race cars. It is a Great model. One of the better cars out there, but somehow, to me, it is not as desirable as say a Lamborghini GTR... Maybe that's just my personal feelings. I like the car a lot, i just don't lust for it.

If your after a quality diecast with a proper finish and some nice detailing, you can;t go wrong with this car. Autoart has done a fine job here, so again, pick one right up. (After your done wif the more sexy cars on your list of course.. :nutkick )

4/6

OVERALL

Overall? like i said above I like the car a lot, it is very well made and is one of the better quality AUTOart cars outside the millenium range. So, a great buy overall.

Total Score - 40/50

Hope u all enjoyed that review...
I'll try slotting in the XJ13 when i have the time to write about it :)
kinda busy right now with some work going on....
:cheers :cheers :cheers

disclaimer: the above review is based on the author's own personal opinions and if you feel that he is wrong, pls do voice your opinions. More varied responses help after all right?

review added to the DX Model Review Database on 16-JUN-2004

G

·
Thanks for the review. :cheers

I would have possibly given the interior a point more, possibly two if it had real wiring.

This is one of my favorites. I remember last year the buzz this model caused on the days prior to it release. It was a frenzy here on DX around that time. :lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks for the review, MB. :cheers
I think that you were a bit harsh with the engine & undercarriage detail section though - your rationale of suggesting that using plastic parts instead of metal for complex engine detail is unrealistic would tend to suggest that models that have metal bodywork where the real cars are made out of carbon fibre makes the model unrealistic. I'm sure that most collectors would prefer and engine and undercarriage that was made from plastic but extremely detailed over a piece of metal with vague, crude moulding.
Sorry if I came down harshly, it's just :mine

BTW, your pictures aren't loading.

G

·
Thanks for the great review MB and I can understand why you'd score this model 40/50 but personally, I'd give it at least 45/50 (more for engine, interior, exterior). I really like this model a lot and hope to get many of AUTOart's upcoming racing versions. :cheers

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
thanks for the comments guys.... its always better to have other ppl's opinions... the review is just based on my own personal feelings of the car... :p

made a typo there on the rubber seal thingy, i meant , though the black seal is made of plastic, it look very much like rubber until u went out and touched it with your finger...

As for the undercarriage being made of plastic n not metal, well, my main gripe is that though it is made of plastic, it is just a single moulded piece which kinda detracts from the overall look..... My concern is the undercarriage in plastic, not the engine.... though the grey plastic engine also doesn't really look too good when viewed from below

well...40 out of 50 aint that bad right? :p
that's just my personal opinion...... :p

Now... i'm just wondering what car to write about next... i saw the XJ-13 was written about b4... should i do another one or should i pick another never done b4 car....hmm...... :tempted

G

·
another excellent review :cheers

maybe you should consult Darrick and Darren to become assistant offical DX model reiviewer :lol

Personally, I would rate this car a bit higher but everyone is entitled 2 their own opinion. If I remember correcty, this car was one of the particicpants in 2003 DX MOTY

feel free to review the XJ-13, a second opinion is always useful :cheers

G

·
MockingBird said:
As for the undercarriage being made of plastic n not metal, well, my main gripe is that though it is made of plastic, it is just a single moulded piece which kinda detracts from the overall look.....
I think I understand what your saying as I have always had a problem with the way AUTOart makes the Porsche engines. Its just one molded piece of plastic, no way to distinguish any parts of the engine. I wished they would atleast add some paint to give the engine some definition.

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
:drool :drool :drool Oh man thanks for the pics! I had never really known anything about this model. The exhaust looks incredible. This is now very very high on my wish list!!!!!

G

·
Great review Mockingbird :nicejob :nicejob

always interesting and a pleasure to read.......

:nicejob :nicejob

:cheers

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
I just have one question, might sound kind of stupid, but does that windsheild wiper move? Because if it doesn't that would kind of be a turn off for me because I personally think it looks kind of ugly with the wiper out like that.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
McLaren F1 Guy: hmm....don't really think the wiper moves unless maybe u force it too.... will update you again when i get home from work.....

LUW: Nope..sorry, no close ups till i get a new camera...which might be VERY soon...so here's hoping! The door hinges are icky dogleg hinges...so the doors stick out a bit when u open em..... not those new style hinges which open much nicer

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
MockingBird said:
LUW: Nope..sorry, no close ups till i get a new camera...which might be VERY soon...so here's hoping! The door hinges are icky dogleg hinges...so the doors stick out a bit when u open em..... not those new style hinges which open much nicer
Shoot, that's a real let-down for me. :crying

1 - 20 of 25 Posts