DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It's a pretty basic custom build project, and nowhere near the skills of many of the other talented builders here, but it was a glaring omission in my collection.

I'm working on a Porsche 917 road car build to mimic the only road going 917 road car owned by Count Rossi.The history of the car is quite sketchy, in that a 917 was never built as a road car, and to make the vehicle a road legal car, Count Rossi obtained a Porsche 917 and licensed it in the state of Alabama with the local authorities granting the road license for the vehicle on the express condition that the vehicle never be driven on the roads or actually imported into the state of Alabama. Talk about dodgy.
Period photo's of the car are extremely limited, and most are black and white. The car i'm looking to replicate is this one:

\

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the base for this model is the CMR model of the 1971 Sebring 12 hour winning Porsch 917 driven by Vic Elford and Gerard Larrousse.

Primarily because it is already silver as a base model, and because it's the cheapest 917 I could easily get my hands on.

The base model overall is OK,

but suffers from a few issues.

1: the model sits crooked, and no matter what I do I cant seem to make it sit flat, it will require actual grinding of the stub axles and warping of the plastics to make it level

and it had several paint chips which are too major to ignore :(

but the process stated pretty easily, first i had to disassemble the model:

It required the removal of 8 screws:

once the sealed diecast body was removed, 2 more screws allowed for the body to actually be split in half:

The decals on this model are actually not the usual tamp style decals i am familar with, they are quite thick and almost create a thick layer which in parts could actually be peeled off:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the interest of saving the plastics I also removed the dash and windows to allow for easier removal:

Although the decals are a thicker rubberised type of layer, I still went for the classic Acetone on a q-tip process to remove the decals:
www keyboardtester com tester

It seemed to work pretty well:
laptop keyboard keys

So after significant time of soaking and swabbing, i was able to remove the decals:

It's also apparent that the race car had winglets on the rear, which the road car never had. this was an easy process to remove, as they litterally just levered off. I didnt take a photo, but a little bit of scraping and swabbing removed the orange residual glue on the body:

This resulted in an overall simple plain bodied car ready for basic shelf display:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As per the period photo's the car also had silver wheels.

They were very simple to remove. the fronts are held on by phillips screws, and the rears just twisted off their axle.

Simply placed on a cardboard backing:

I used Tamiya TS-17 Aluminium Gloss for the paint:

and they wheels got several light coats: NB: the rears were quite a challenge, due to their small size and extremely deep dish, i was worried about getting sufficuent coverage, so i did a couple of passes that were a little too thick, but they turned out OK for now.

So for now it's re-assembled and back on a shelf for display until the next stage:

The final stage will be to try and build some mirrors and a rear muffler on my 3d printer, but this will be a first for me, so it may take some time to work out how to properly model them, before printing and actually making them presentable for a model.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool project! I am a big fan of the 917k and have 5 autoart 917k's (one fully customised) and always wanted the street version! That's a great idea!
What is the next step??
Thanks, I'd also like to see your custom.

I'm also a huge fan, the 917 is probably my favorite Porsche of all time.

Next step is to try and model the rear muffler and mirrors in Fusion 360
then i have to see if my FDM printer is refined enough to make useable parts.

·
They look better in real life.
359 Posts
Good work! I was hoping to do this too a couple of years back. Started with the autoart version and got half the decals off before putting it back in the box. Will keep an eye out on your progress!

·
Registered
758 Posts
CMR has been recycling old models from defuct brands and reselling them as theirs, in addition to their resin models. For example, on the Cobra Daytona Coupe they didn't even bother removing the "Shelby Collectibles" logo on the car's undercarriage... This indeed seems to be the same case, recycling the old Universal Hobbies / Eagle's Race. That's a cool project, Never thought of that and it's a really cool one! The pièce de résistance would be adding the licence plates. Regarding the rearview mirrors, those seem to be the same as the 956, you can find them here, for example.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for reminding me about this. I recently got a new resin 3d printer and have been struggling to think of what to print, but now I know. I'll give these a go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts