DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts

I finally sat down and completed this review, as promised to Stevie (albeit a tad late :giggle). The model is packaged in a double box, with a white outer box and an inner coloured box. The model is relatively lightweight, which was a surprise. It's definitely heavier than Autoart models, but not as heavy as Exoto or the Minichamps M3 GTR models. Still, it's very nicely built, and doesn't feel like it'll fall apart in my hands. Shutlines and panel lines are small, except for the engine cover. The doors have small non-dogleg hinges, and do not wobble once open. The spring on the doors aren't that strong, so you'll need to push the door almost closed for it to "snap" shut. The engine and front compartment covers are separate pieces and are not hinged to the model. Look at the pic of the back of the engine cover, it's got hoses in there! Wowzers, most people wouldn't even look there, and they put the hoses in. That boggles the mind…

I'll mention it that it's very hard to find pics of this 1:1 racer, if anyone can find pics of it (especially the engine!) please let me know, as the accuracy scores as of now are "benefit of the doubt" :help .

Brakes - accuracy=9 detail=7
The brakes are covered by wheel covers which 99% obscure the brakes. However, looking from the back, we can see that the brakes and calipers are modeled, and the calipers stay stationary while the discs move with the wheel. The brake disc seems to be a simple silver piece (no photo etch here!), but the caliper looks quite detailed, which almost makes up for the bad discs. Note the brake cooling ducts on the front and rear brakes, very nice.

Engine - accuracy= 9 detail=9
This is the masterpiece of the model. As I've noted before, I don't have any pics of the 1:1 to compare to, but looking at the details, I'm going to say it's pretty dang accurate! :giggle The engine is Exoto quality, no doubt about it. I don't have any Exotos myself, but from other DXers' photos of Exoto engines, it is comparable to this Carousel 1's. The engine is fully plumbed, wired, and whatever else companies do to make a realistic engine. The front compartment houses the gas tank, and is complete with a whole bunch of wires, and a silver painted nozzle. The gas tank itself looks kind of transparent too, very cool. Also of note is the brace in the front compartment, it's very nicely done and painted (like the interior rollcage) and one can almost mistake it for metal.

Exterior - accuracy= 7 detail=6
I'll get this off my chest now. Almost all the holes/intakes are NOT perforated :ranting . There I said it. Except for the front middle metal grill, and the two little triangular metal air intake grills on the back of the car, all the other parts are not perforated. And the worst part is, they're not even textured, just a dab of flat black paint. The worst offenders are the side intakes behind the doors. Looking at the few 1:1 pics (thx to Stevie), there are 2 side intakes behind passenger door, and one side intake on driver side. However, all these are painted flat black and look HORRID :ranting . I still think they should've put real perforated holes, at least on these intakes.

Alright, let's start with the front. Bottom lights are nicely done, and very realistic. The light covers are nicely put in place as well. The middle mesh is real metal. Those two little circular holes look like they're hollow, but they stop a little way in, and then the opening is represented by a glob of black paint. Moving on up, the fog lights have small attachment stubs on the bottom. I've been advised by our Porsche expert (Sir Gary, thx!), that the real lights had stubs too, so these are correct. Kudos to C1 for reproducing this small detail. And the "rakes" on the hood are just painted blue :pullhair .The windshield wipers and those little protrusions on the hood are very well done though, and they're all very detailed and do not feel flimsy (but will break if you hit it too hard). The stance and look of the front are correct when compared to the 1:1 pics, more correct than the Exoto version when compared to its respective 1:1 racecar.

The side of the car is next, and as mentioned the behind-the-door vents are not perforated. The door handles are a separate piece, which is nice, and is actually useful for opening the doors, as there are side windows and shutlines are tight. The car's look is dead on from the side, as the rear wheels were "hidden" a bit under the wheelwell, whereas the fronts were not.

Rearwards, first thing you notice is the huge spoiler, and the metal air intakes. The spoiler is attached to the engine cover as one piece, and can be lifted off to reveal the engine. There is a bit of a gap at the bottom edge of the engine cover and the body of the car, around 2mm. This seems to be an isolated case though (I have all the luck, don't I). From here, we also see the rear lights aren't so well made. They don't look 3D, and the painted white back up lights just look really cheap :cry . The exhaust is excavated (not sure if it's hollow) and chromed, looks very nice. I don't know if it's only a problem with mine, but the two exhaust pipes are not parallel on my example. Hmm…..

Interior - accuracy=8 detail=8
The interior is very well made, and made me happier after looking over the bad exterior :giggle . The racing seat is hard plastic, but is nicely painted. The seatbelts are fabric and have photoetched parts, very nice. I really like that little mesh/wire flap on the driver side door, it looks like metal and the edges are fabric. The instruments are represented with multiple stickers each in their little circular cubbyhole, but are convincing. The steering wheel is well made as well, but looks kind of big :confused . The rollcage, gear shifter, and some other stick thingie are all painted silver. The rollcage really looks like metal, well done. The foot pedals are well hidden in the footwell, and are all painted silver as well. The pedals seem to be connected (i.e. one piece). Is this a cost-cutting measure or was the 1:1 like this? :confused From the passenger side, we can see more details in the cockpit. There's a big red button which I'll assume is a starter button, and a silver switch of some sort. And on the edge, we see more of the nice rollcage, and a weird little handle. Also in the passenger side footwell, we can see a big red… thing. I have no clue as to what it is, it's not a fire extinguisher though.

Paint - accuracy=8 detail=7
The blue paint is thick and rich, with no orange peel. All parts are painted, even underneath the engine and front compartment covers. The flat black paint they used to represent the openings seems to be painted over the blue paint, which I'm afraid will be easy to chip off. The blue colour is accurate when compared to the 1:1 photo. The wheel covers are painted in a nice gold colour, which are accurate as well.

Tampo/Decals - accuracy=9 detail=9
From what I can tell, all markings/sponsors are tampoed, no decals here! From the limited 1:1 pics of the racer, it seems most (if not all) of the sponsors are correctly placed as well. Nothing much I can fault here.

Tires/Wheels - accuracy=9 detail=8
Another section where the Carousel 1 does amazingly. Wheels are racing slicks, and are branded Goodyear in white letters on the sidewall. The wheel covers are painted gold, with molded in lines, which looks great. There's even a notch where the tire inflation pin usually goes too! You can't see the brakes behind the wheel covers though, as they obscure anything underneath. The covers do not seem to be removable like the Exotos. Note that the front and rear wheel covers are different as well. The front covers have a section which "stick out" and have multiple small attachment points to the bottom part. The rears don't have a "stick out" part, and are larger in diameter as well.

Undercarriage - accuracy=9 detail=9
Another winner here! The undercarriage is very detailed. I don't know all the parts, so I won't try to describe them. Take a look at the pics and see for yourself. Note the serial # is located here too, on the front of the undercarriage.

OVERALL accuracy=8.5 detail=8

Conclusion
Nice model, with mostly exterior problems. The mostly non-perforated vents are very disappointing, but the details in other areas (engine and undercarriage) make up for it. I got this for a clearance price of 60USD+shipping, which I believe is a steal for this model. For full price, I'd be hesitant though. In addition to this 1981 Daytona winner, there's also the Brumos and the Hawaian Tropic racer. However, note that the other two are a bit different exterior wise to this model.

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 16-SEPT-2005

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
GREAT review Gary! :nicejob :nicejob
It's really nice to read a honest assessment of a model. That' s how I decide to buy or not to buy a model, so I want to know EVERYTHING, the good and the bad.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lu and Eddie! :happy

Lu: ya, I love to know a model's good and bad pts before I decide, and it's really fun to write reviews to help others decide :giggle

Eddie: I think Brumos is still avail. at Replicarz, but the other 2 are outta stock :(

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Thank you Gary! That is one of the most thorough reviews I have ever read! :cheers :nicejob

While reading it, I was comparing your observations to my Carousel Brumos 935 (which for $60 I agree is a steal) and an Exoto. I also agree with your entire review. In fact, I noticed details in both I had not seen before.

However let me add a few additional comments:
1. On the Brumos, the air scoops behind the doors are perforated and lead to a very nice (though hard to see) metal screen.
2. The engine is comparable to the Exoto. While the Exoto looks slightly more detailed from the top, it is also harder to see due to the non-detachable engine cover. When viewed from the bottom, I would actually give the edge to the Brumos, due mainly to the heat discolloring of the exhausts.
3.The Brumos has detailed on-board hydraulic jacks at each wheel. I don't think I have another model, including Exotos, with this detail.
4. behind the wheel covers on the Brumos are almost-impossible-to-see gold collored racing wheels.
5. The brake discs are vented but not cross-drilled.

Again Gary, thank you very much for such an excellent review. :nicejob :nicejob

G

·
Congratulations Gary !!! This is a very good review !!! You point out all the details and you are very clear on your explanations !!
:cheers :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the kind comments! :happy

Eddie and Thomas: ya, i was pretty sure when I saw Eddie's pic that Exoto was gonna make one in that livery, wasn't sure if it was a 935 or 934 though :giggle

mosteller: thanks Mosteller! Wow I didn't realize there are so many hidden gems in the C1! I'll have to take a look carefully tonight. Thanks for pointing it out, this means some of the review areas might have to be revised (for more points! :yahoo )

Thomas: thanks! Now I await your Exoto 934 review, Thomas :giggle

G

·
Not a bad review Gary , however I would like to pick up on the following points you made .

. Looking at the few 1:1 pics (thx to Stevie), there are 2 side intakes behind each door. However, the driver's side only has one intake on mine. I think they forgot to paint a black dab of paint on the bottom "hole". The passenger side is okay.
If you look closely , you will see there is no recess on the drivers side rear wheel arch and therefore only having a cooling duct on the passenger side is correct , as this side is recessed , although I do agree that it should have been mesh at least.

the fog lights have small attachment stubs on the bottom, which ruin the look
The lights are meant to be replicas of Cibie spotlights (Oscars I think) and therefore the mounting stubs too , are correct as this is the adjustable mount on the real lights

There is a bit of a gap at the bottom edge of the engine cover and the body of the car, around 2mm.
This must be problem on your car , as both of the cars I purchased do not have this issue . Engine covers are a perfect fit .

Also in the passenger side footwell, we can see a big red… thing. I have no clue as to what it is, it's not a fire extinguisher though.
Im pretty sure this is the on board fire extinguisher system , and the big red button you mentioned is the emergency activation button

The stance and look of the front are correct, more correct than the Exoto version.
Exoto dont make this version of the 935 , and also the bodywork of the K3 is totally different to the Hawaiin Tropic and Brumos versions , not just slightly different , as you stated.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer , and shows that its not as flawed as you make it out to be :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.