DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just got these two models through the post. I bought them from forum members Markus and Ws6_22. I thought I would try and buy from proper enthusiasts who treat their models well and sure enough both are in great condition and with original boxes for a very reasonable price. I think we have to accept that with Royal Mails rough handling a couple of bits will fall off in transit but nothing that a swift dab of glue did not sort out. I just don't think there is a way of sending a delicate model by post and not having some wear and tear;)

Once again I put some photo links more for the sake of reference as you read the post but they are pretty terrible and yes I know the numbers are backwards. I only use my macbook for pics and I advise checking Ws6_22 and others excellent pictures of the cars. I really post to give my opinion of models everyone can easily find photos of:

http://photobucket.com/chap2E_Porsche

First of all the Porsche. I was very excited about getting this as I have no other models by Truescale Miniatures and though they had quite a limited range, but I had heard good things about the 935s and thought the range of livery was very cool. The Exotos go for silly money and a few posters had said they though the Truescale was a better model.

Well I have to say I am blown away, although with a few niggles I will comment on. I went for the Apple computer version which looks brilliant. There is also a pink Le Mans version, a red Daytona, a red Le Mans cokeacola and a orange Jagermeister car. I am now tempted by them all! But the Apple car is very unusual and really stands out on the shelf. The model feel very heavy and solid and it is a naturally exciting car with it dramatic swoops and curves and Truescale capture this very well. The colourful wheel covers are terrific and really make it stand out.

One thing I liked is that all the textures are very well captured. The water tank in the front bonnet, the tiers and textured under carriage, and the fan in the engine are great. the interior is spartan but features great roll cage work with realistic foam covers, the dashboard and seats feel right and all have a different texture. It has nice details like the fire extinguisher with tiny labeling on it. The doors are the tighest fit and most difficult to open I have come across. You need either a very long finger nail or to use the wing mirrors to prize them open. But they do close with a nice snap!

The engine is nice if a bit hidden and maybe a tiny bit plasticy but nice piping and a cool safety bar across it. The underside of the engine is very good however and you can see a lot more detail from there. From the picture I have seen it is much more detailed than the older Exoto version with more piping and texture.

There is some really nice detail of windscreen cleaning nozzles and catches which are similar to the bodywork detail on my Minichamps Porsche 956. However this feels a much more solid and satisfying model than the Minichamps. Considering if you look about it is only about £10 more if you have to make a choice go for the 935!

The niggles are that the front bonnet and massive rear spoiler don't clip on. They just perch on, especially in the case of the spoiler/engine cover, and if you want to look at the underside of the model you really have to take them both off or they will clatter to the floor. Reminds me of the front cover on a Autoart 917 which again just rests on the bonnet.

A lot of people have been saying this is as good as an Exoto, not just their 935 but any Exoto. I have to say that for value for money it really is considering you can get the Truescale for £100 off while I saw a Martini Exoto go for £500 on Ebay! However there are three things that people should be aware of and which still keep Exoto ahead if price is not considered. First of all there is no functioning suspension on the 935, there are springs but no give so be careful and don't squash it down the moment you get it out of the box and break it! Saying that the Chaparral Exoto I will mention has such a hard suspension set up that although it works it barely moves so it is not a major issue. The other thing is the breaks and wheels. On the Exoto 935s you can remove the wheels to get a good look at the breaks and callipers which are very detailed from pictures I have seen. While the back wheels on the Truescale have nice drilled break disks which can just be seen there is not that much detail, at least compared to the engine. The other thing is that the ventilation slats in the front wheel arches are painted on and don't go through the bodywork, a small thing but worth knowing.

Anyway for the price I think this is a 9./10 model. Even compared to my GMP Ferraris which are maybe more detailed this is simply a better built model. Exoto are still a few percent ahead but not by much. I am seriously considering getting the Truescale 936 if it ever arrives even though i was going to wait for the Exoto version.

I have rambled on so much about the 935 I don't want to write a novel so i will just say the Chaparral 2E is a model I have been after for a long time. I have the 2c and 2F and I am glad I now have the full set! Roll on the 2J!

It is a great model and is practicaly perfect. The wheels don't come off, oddly they do on my 2F but not on the 2C but as it is easy to strip down there is lots of detail to see of the suspension and breaks, unlike the Porsche which has much more body work. I can sum up all the Exoto Chaparrals as roller skates with a massive engine plonked in them. You can really see every wire, particularly behind the cockpit dials when the front it removed and when you look up under the car as there is a hole cut away in the floor which you can see a lot of detail through. On the 2C there is a small cover for this opening but not on the other cars for some reason. The rear wing comes off to remove the rear bodywork and is very delicate, it swivels like the original cars adjustable wing but this makes it very flimsy although it is a nice idea. One great details is the finely textured vents on the front wheel arches which you can see through, when you see the details like this the extra £50 or so I paid for this over the 935 makes sense. If the wheels came off it would be a 10/10 model, in fact lets just say 10/10!!

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Great write up Babs - a very informative read!
Thanks for the link to your pics.....the models look fine - especially the 935

·
Administrator
33,860 Posts
Nice review, the Apple Computers car was my first TSM 935 model, I love their stuff, so I got the Coca Cola car too (the one with the rear air ducts) that's a pretty sweet model too. You're right about the removeable parts, I remove them before turning the model upside down.

I got mine for a great price, I think the Apple car was £60 my Coca Cola was £95 delivered. I fancy the new Jagermeister car just waiting for it to be around £100 though before I get it .

With regards to the doors, I always use a door opener tool, much easier than messing around pulling at parts of the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thanks guys. I have never thought of a door opening device and will check it out:) I leave the pictures to other on here who do a great job but I think reviews should point out odd things that are worth being aware of on a model. Loads of reviews on here have helped me before buying a model as you don't want to make a mistake when spending £200;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts