DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it comes as no major surprise that the diecasts I'm collecting is slowly moving back in the timeline. I used to focus mostly on GT cars from 1995+. With the addition of the Sauber C9 "Michelin", it got shifted back to 1987. Now, with the addition of this Porsche 956, it's rolled back 4 years to 1983. It was driven my the famous Mario Andretti, his son Michael, and Philippe Alliot. They finished the race in 3rd place. This is quite interesting as I find myself in somewhat unfamiliar grounds. The more modern age of the Le Mans has classes like LMP1, LMP2, GTS, GT (or more recently GT1 and GT2). Now I see classes like Group C, Group C Junior, and Group B. Clearly, I have much to learn about racing history. :giggle

(click for 800x530 picture)

This latest car to join my collection is a Minichamps 1:43. I hope in time, I can find its 1:18 equivalent. But as I found this car on sale, I couldn't resist picking it up. In case you're wondering, yes, it is a sealed model as most in 1:43 are. Tampos are used for all the sponsorship logos and markings. For a car that size, its details are pretty good. The windshield wiper is probably the weakest detail on the car as it doesn't quite sit flush on the windshield. Plus, the black plastic it is made of has too much shine to it, taking away from any sense of realism. The biggest surprise is the detail on the rear wheels. The web pattern is very well fabricated! Even the wheelnut looks good.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Awesome model, awesome pics, Felix! You're so predictable...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That is a beautiful model Felix. I thought it was the Minichamps 1:18 which is truly gorgeous. :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks mosteller (Bob is it?) If this were a 1:18, I'd be taking better photos. A smaller car is hard to get fully in focus. That's the one huge challenge I face in photographing cars in 1:43 with my old 3.2Mpix digicam.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Believe me Felix, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your photos or your camera, I really thought it was the same 1:18 which I have (although on 2nd look the windshield wiper would be way too big in 1:18). I also think your black background is superb! :nicejob :nicejob

Bob

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Boy Felix, that car really jumps off the page at you!
Very nice :nicejob

G

·
Very nice model Felix and excellent pics.

That version, even though not a winner, really has a certain charm that captures your attention. It is probably the shade of blue that is used. Minichamps did it really well.

Too bad its a 1/43............ you need its bigger brother

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The engine is pretty much wonderful :tongue

Attachments

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Very nice Felix :nicejob :nicejob I to would love to find the 1:18.

Do you have the racing opps Rothmans 956 Le mans winner in 18? as I feel the both would look super sexy side by side.

:cheers

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Congrats Felix. I hope you find the Rothmans Porsche to keep this company. AUTOart makes the LeMans winning #23 in 1:43 too. That would be nice too.
What is the use of the white disk on the front wheels? Aerodynamics?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Very cool Felix! When I saw the pic I was going to ask you why your model was different, but then I read it's 1:43. Beeing both from Minichamps, I find it interesting to see that the brand doesn't just down (or up) scale their models.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just got the JDavid Fitzpatrick 956L for the same race...in 1/43 scale.
I cannot wait to get the Bellof Hokkenheimring Fast Lap.
I didn't get the Spa Bellof, 'cuz PMA didn't model the xtra front wing that featured on the real car.
PMA really needs to update the 956L mold. It has crude details, and the cockpit is sparse at best. But I luve the 956, and PMA's 1/18 effort is gorgeous.

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
There's more than I expected between the two, obvious one is the light fixture above the numbers on each side of the car.

I actually picked up the 1:18 last week off eBay, good deal from a seller in Sydney :happy

Also as an aside, Minichamps used decals on both the 1:18 and 1:43 :pullhair

Can someone make up a "Decals Are BAD" smilie please? :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for falling behind in my replies here! Thanks for ALL your very kind words of congrats and the pics.

When I find this car's "big brother" in 1:18, it will be joining the rest of my collection. Finding probably won't prove to be so easy though. It should be a good hunt nonetheless.

Bernard : That's an awesome pic of your 1:18. Does the rear engine cowl come off easily?

Mike : The 956 is something thats popped up on my radar. Has it become hard to find nowadays?

Winston : Unfortunately, I'm not sure what purpose the white wheel cover serves. If anyone can shed some light on that, that'd be awesome! :feedback

oscar-alpha : Do you have a photo of your ne Fitzpatrick 956? What number is it?

Eddie : I've actually liked those 935 for a while. I just never mentioned it much I guess. :giggle Too bad they're so expensive!

Dingo : Congrats on bagging your new #21!

G

·
Yes it ain't very difficult to undo, easily compared to an R8.

Dont worry, its no where near AUTOart's Mercedes CLK :scared

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The 956's in 1:18 are not to rare, as there is not many out, & they pop up from time to time, prices very but with the Rothmans 83 winner, the only hard one to find is the full livry Rothmans car as released in Japan, but the racing/rothmans is slowly climbing in price.

There are more coming soon, like the "PORSCHE 956B 1986 LeMans 24hrFollmer/Morton/Miller" the stars n stripe one.

And an aussie release PORSCHE 956, 84 LeMans Peter Brock/ Larry Perkins LE to 4000.

:cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.