DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
1982 was the first year that saw cars competing to the new Group C regualtions. Porsche brought the brand new 956 and dominated with a 1,2,3 finish - in team number order as well!

The #1 was driven by Jacky Ickx & Derek Bell, the #2 by Jochen Mass & Vern Schuppan and the #3 by Hurley Haywood & Al Holbert.

Minichamps released this set some time ago - most had the "Racing" livery, but those sets for the Japanese market had the full "Rothmans" warpaint and this set is one of them :happy

The 956 is now quite an old casting, but, these look great.

Oh, if anyone is wondering about the misaligned "Rothmans" wording on the righthand side of the #3, the car had the door relplaced during the race & the decals on the replacement did not match up to the original lettering - the roundel surrounding the #3 is also correctly skewed.

:cheers

Steve

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
They look to be very well done...I hate to imagine what you must have paid for them, being a Japanese only edition!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Very impressive new addition. Great to see them all in full rothmans livery and even more so about the fine detail to match the #3 car during the race. Congratulations. :cheers

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Congrats Steve. Those look great, and what a wonderful group they make too. Fantastic looking cars in a famous livery and with that 1-2-3 finish as well!

I'm a bit puzzled by the misaligned lettering though. Surely that would be better suited to a model that was supposed to represent a 'race aged' car with dirt etc.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks John - as for the price, 100 of our English pounds. That was the starting price on the bay - I was the only bidder......Don't know if they were overpriced for the market or not - it seemed reasonable to me @ £33.33 a piece - many Minichamps individual models, fetch more than that!

Steve

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Dave - as for the #3, well all three cars are discoloured just ahead of the rear wheel arches where the exhaust pipes exit, to indicate they had been racing. I know nowadays, the teams tend to clean the cars, just before the end of the race, so they look their best for the cameras when they take the flag - an explanation maybe?

Steve

G

·
Funny, I have the #1 alone, and the front wheel covers are different.

The ones in your model are like in the 1/18 version, and they are true to the pictures I've seen from the real car.
Are Minichamps 1/43 'regular' edition wheel covers incorrect? Or is it that during the race they use to change to different wheel covers as they change tires?

G

·
Steve, you're right about 1983 (notice though that the rear wheels have no covers):

But in 1982 in all the pics I've seen the wheel covers are like this:

So it seems that Minichamps is right in both the 1/43 set and in the 1/18 model, but is wrong in the 1/43 solo #1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.