DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been on my list for years.
Announced a very long time ago with many false release dates. it finally was released last year.
Was it worth the wait?

I guess it depends what you were looking for.
The car is a step up from the UH GT40's and 917 but I was somehow hoping for more of a leap than they made.
I would be quite dissapointed in the car if I purchased it at the announced retail of over $50 but seeing these on ebay now for as low as $18 casts a completely different (and dimmer) light on it.

Sealed cabin (ala GMP Lolas) and a plasticky undercarraige are the lows.
Great looking body shape and nice wide tires with a nice tire to wheel opening clearance are a couple of the highs.
The body is oainted different colors but they used decals for the breaks in color and all other markings.
The paint is very nicely applied, btw.

The engine cover lifts up to show a surpricing amount of detail for the price point.
This is not up to AUTOart levels but it is not meant to be.

I would say if you are a fan of the 962 that keeping in mind the price, you will not be unhappy with this car. I have it displayed with my AUTOart 917K's and it does not look out of place at all.

I do not know much about the racing history of this car.

G

·
Nice Job here Jeff :nicejob .

Ive put this car off so many times, but i am starting to regret it now, maybe when i next see one.

This car is based on the 1988 Le-mans entrany that cam second only 1-lap down on the winning Jag XJR-12, if it never suffered from its empty fuel tank drama where it ran out of fuel near the pits it may have won.

I do hear though (I forget where :confused ) there should be more liveries in the pipe-line.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Mr V :cheers

I had heard that there would be other liverys as well.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Non Functioning rear (and front) springs :cheers

G

·
Thanks for the photos and comments. I already had one being shipped from an ebay vendor. I decided to take a chance since it may be one of those deals where the container comes in and there is a glut of cheap cars... and then they just disappear. I'm already thinking about detail paint and maybe some race weathering. It does look nice for the price point.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Very nice Jeff! I think that for the price it's pretty good. In fact, the engine is way better then I expected.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Wow, that looks quite nice. Even with the sealed interior It doesn't look like a bad deal for $30 or less :happy
I think I may have to pick up one soon :giggle

G

·
Congrats on the new addition, Jeff. And thank you very much for the quick run down on this car. :cheers

I saw one online for $29, but I didn't pull the trigger because of the sealed doors. $18 is an excellent price, I'd grab one too if I can find one that low.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Nice model, Jeff - and a great deal for the price!

G

·
I got mine from the e-bay vendoer "diecastmart" for only #20.99....

They still have them for that price

Still waiting for it to arrive...

Thanks for the photos and short review.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
BTW can anyone post a better shot of the engine? From what little I can see in the 3rd pic it looks great :cheers
Anyway I will probably be ordering this one in a few days.

G

·
I paid $14.99 from vendor haibell (spelling might be off) and couldn't be happier. At that price, I didn't care if it sucked, but the model is actually very decent and I'm one step closer to collecting every Porsche!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
To my knowledge and opinion, this may be the best model so far to come from UH.
Although the interior is sealed, at this price I think they did a very good job. The engine is well detailed as is what I can see of the interior. The pant is well done, the model feels solid and the engine cover is well hinged and fits well with the body. However. there are no exhaust ports on either side.

The 962 was a stretched version of the 956 in response to rule changes that required the driver's feet to be behind the centerline of the front wheels. 956s won Le Mans from 1982 through 1985 and the 962s won in '86 and '87, so 6 consecutive victories for this type of Porsche. However, the model produced was the 2nd place finisher in 1988.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Much improved pictures Jeff. I have to say it only looks an average model but if the rumoured other liveries ever materialise and happen to include the winning car I would be tempted at the right price. Has anyone heard any more about other liveries. I assume this is still the only one out at the moment?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts