DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switching to bigger scales of course meant buying a Pocher 993 Porsche. Closer inspection led to the conclusion that has been made a dozen times before: The Pocher 993 is a rather simple model. Many parts don't really fit and are out of proportion. As those Pochers come relatively cheap as second-hand models they are a great basis to start from. I decided to build the 993 GT2 Proton Competition, as I did in 1:18 scale already:

I started about a year ago an made quick progresses at the beginning. I ordered BBS wheels from m-tec and studied a lot of builds in the internet. Due to the fact that 993 GT2 transkits are rare (there was a "scaleautoworks"- kit on the market years ago for several thousand Euros), almost everything characteristic to a GT2 had to be home made. The back wing is based on a Tamiya 1:10 part. Front wing is basically a mix of geometrical parts glued together and filled up with putty. I am planning to let these main parts be 3D-printed, as I am not keen on building these parts again:

The central part of the rollcage is aluminium and the rest is from styrene. The real cockpit is basically a stripped-out standard 993-monocoque, so the build was pretty straight forward. I only have pictures from the outside of the Proton GT2 and therefore kept it simple. The seat is from an Altaya Renault Maxi Turbo 1:8. Not perfect, but it was cheap and easy to install. Fire extinguishers are RC NOS bottles:

The engine was a challenging build with all the warped pipes and tubings. I decided to look at it as a "prototype-build". Some things I would do differently now. Especially the turbos are way to big, but after getting a set of resin-parts I just went along with them. Altogether it came out ok, even if its freely interpreted in many areas... . The exhaust pipes are made from a styrene pipe filled with an aluminium rod and then bent into form:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "rolling chassis" is finished:

Ignition key on the left of course...

A shot of the real car for camparison:

You noticed the radio cable ? It's a litz wire, some rubber hose and an earring plug:

The air-jack system is made from small screw nuts glued together, a styrene rod and then painted blue

The body parts are being painted and drying.

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
Looking good!

See if you can put a coloured band round the top of the steering wheel and maybe flock it ? (so it's fuzzy) it'll look sweet then!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your positive comments !

@Craig: You are right, it looks a bit plain. I never did that flocking stuff before - but I will try it !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally I got around to post some pictures showing the current progress of the Pocher GT2:
  • I modified the steering wheel with micro balloons to give it a more textured look. The outcome is good, but I think it could be a bit more alcantara-ish looking. It probably takes more practice I guess.
  • The body parts got their paint, decals and clear coat. Again, the overall looks are good, some parts have a slight orange peel though. I guess every hobbyist has its limits. Mine definitely lie in the application of a graduated/complex paint job (primer, color, decals, clear coat). But I keep practising...
  • The assembly of the model didn't cause any major problems as I test fitted all the parts a felt dozen times before. It paid out in the end and prevented parts rubbing against each other and causing paint chips.
  • Fully rebuilt, the size of the model is striking. It is a joy to look at all the details you built yourself - sometimes I even forgot that I built them due to the time gone by. But having one more Pocher 993 in stock with all the necessary parts for a rebuild (1998 FIA GT Roock version), I guess that the latter will be my last 1:8 build. I will probably stick to 1:12 and 1:10 (RC RTR) cars. I can barely store the Pocher model properly, let alone dispatch the model in case I sell it one day.

I show some more pictures as soon as it is completely finished.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased a GT 2 Transkit and wondering how you bond the body panels to the existing car.
Did you buy the one from Austria ("iripro" on ebay) or the rare one from "scaleautoworks" ? Anyway, if the pieces are made of plastic or resin, you can warm them with a hairdryer and slowly adjust them to the body. If there are small gaps left, you can still fill them up later with putty. Hope this helps !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts