DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking to myself yesterday about what 1:18ths we are likely to see in the not too distant future of Le Mans winning cars. Some are somewhat unlikely such as the 1980 winning Rondeau (presumably not enough variations of the car could be made to justify the investment in a 1:18th version), but there are lots out there that could be done relatively easily from exisiting models.

Surprisingly Mattel haven't released any of Ferraris many LeMans winners from the 1950s and 1960s. AUTOart have released the 1953 LM winning C-Type, but strangely haven't given us the 1951 winning version of the same car. Surely it would not be hard to do so, unless they want to "redevelop" the mold into a sealed bodyshell version... Also, they have released a plain D-Type (a long time ago!) so where are the '55, '56 and '57 winners???

The '68 and '69 winning Mirage Ford GT40 amazingly has not been released by Exoto (who seem dead keen on offering us every possible GT40 out there, at a price...) although if and when they do I'd say the price would be eye watering.

Eagles race did the '70 Porsche 917 winner as did AUTOart, but AUTOart never bothered giving us the '71 winner as Eagles Race did (but it's a model I'd like in a more detailed version than the sealed Eagles race one).

No one has plans to do any 1:18th Matras, to my knowledge, which is a shame. The '75 Gulf Mirage winner is also unlikely to be done for the same reasons as the 1980 winner I would think.

But when are Exoto going to release the Porsche 936 winners they have already shown over 2 years ago at the Nurnberg toy show??? They showed the 1976 and 1981 winning 936s and they looked ready to go. But no sign of them on sale yet (not even as pre-orders, which suggests they are a very long way off being on sale). Additionally the 1977 908/936 hybrid version Porsche LM winner could be done too by Exoto.

Once again, I'd suspect we are unlikely to see the '78 winning Renault Alpines as they are too limited a model to be done in 1:18th (not enough versions again I'd say).

The '79 winning 935 is another odd omission too. We seem to have every other version of the 935 available but not this one, possibly the most significant one of all!

Hopefully we will see all the 956/962 winners from the 80s, not just the '83 one already released. I'd say licensing issues with Rothmans are delaying some of these potential versions.

A version of the '90 winning Jaguar would be nice, maybe Exoto Motorbox will do it too in addition to the '88 winner.

The '92 and '93 Peugeots would be super looking 1:18ths, but again possibly not "big" enough of a subject for 1:18th.

The '94 Dauer Porsche would be presumably easy enough to modify from a 9556/962 mold, so it might eventually be done.

The '96 and '97 winning Joest Porsche prototype is possibly also unlikely as it would like some of the above be too limited a subject.

Still, I remain hopefull that one day my 1:18th LeMans winner collection will be complete (or at least up to date!). Before I die perhaps! :lol :cheers

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I would love to see all of the Le Mans winners modeled in 1/18 scale, but personally, I am most interested in the Porsche 956/962 from the 80s. Not only they have won the race, they just simply look fantastic.

The models have to have both the history and the look to end up in my display cases. I'm not saying other winners don't look good, but they don't look as good as the 956/962s!

:giggle

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Ronan, for the reasons you mention I think we will have to keep dreaming for a good while yet. Winners do seem to be released periodically, so I guess it's a theme that will hopefully grow all the time, but there are still some obscure winners that just don't seem to be 1:18 material. At least as a fairly new collector I still have plenty of catching up to do!

G

·
Ronan, you forgot to mention Exoto's Aston Martin DBR-1 of 1959 - which I have on pre-order since one year now! :pullhair :pullhair :pullhair My grand-grandson will probably receive it!

Even in 1/43, where manufacturers are far more prolific, there are still important 'holes' in the album, although IXO is slowly (VERY slowly) filling up some gaps.

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Jumping your guns abit their arn't you.

I can only hope the Audi R10 is made, but with Maisto seeming to have lost interest in the Audi Le-Mans racers, only Spark will most likely do it, but before the 2004/05 R8 winners obviously.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it is likely we will see all up to date winners being released in time (such as the Audis and the Bentley have been) but I agree that the oddities will be a long time in coming. One of these days it might be possible to complete a LM winner collection in 1:18th! :hope :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure they will eventually all be done. There are only 2 basic colour schemes to be made to get all the 956/962 winners, the Rothmans works livery for the '82, '83, '86 and '87 winners, plus the New Man yellow car which won in '84 and '85 :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:iagree It does seem strange they haven't released any of the LM winning Ferraris. As you said even the casual buyer/collector would be attracted to classic red racing Ferraris.

BBR is doing the 1954 LM winning Ferrari 375 Plus which will be an absolute must have for me. At a steep price though I'd say... Still, at least it will be another LM winner to add to the collection! :cheers

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great idea Ronan! Although I'm sure we all had the same idea, but I doubt anyone could word it better then you did!

Do you happen to have a list of all the Le Mans winners in 1:18 since you collect them? I could help you colaborate it if needed.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! I find I can write better when I've got some down time at work! :giggle

The LM winners already done or announced in 1:18th that I know of are:

1952 Mercedes 300SL by CMC

1953 Jaguar C-Type by AUTOart

1954 Ferrari 375 Plus by BBR (not out yet)

AUTOart plan to do the '55-'57 winning D-Types apparently

1959 Aston Martin DBR-1 has been rumoured/announced to be made by Exoto sometime this century

1966 Ford GT40 MkII by Exoto

1967 Ford GT40 MkIV by Exoto

1968/69 winning MkI GT40 (the same car won both years) was done I think by Joeuf/Eagles Race, but it is (in my opinion) a poor model indeed (although it is an old release by 1:18th standards). I would think Exoto may eventually see fit to make it at a huge price for us mere mortals...

1970 Porsche 917K by both AUTOart and Eagles Race

1971 Porsche 917K by Eagles Race

1976 Porsche 936 was shown by Exoto in prototype form a couple of years ago, but no word on it since

1977 Porsche 908/936 again I would think a likely one to be done by Exoto

1979 Porsche 935 K3 (no announcement yet, but surely one that either Exoto or Carousel 1 will do)

1981 Porsche 936 (like the '76 winner shown by Exoto in prototype form about 2 years ago)

1982 Porsche 956 (announced by Minichamps but held up I think by licensing issues with Rothmans)

1983 Porsche 956 by Minichamps

1984-5 Porsche 956 (same car both years) announced I think by Minchamps

1986-7 Porsche 962s (surely to be done in the near future by either Minichamps or Universal Hobbies?)

1988 Jaguar XJR-9 by Exoto Motorbox

1989 Sauber-Mercedes C9 by Exoto

1990 Jaguar (possibly again by Exoto in the future?)

1991 Mazda 787B by AUTOart

1995 McLaren F1 GTR by UT/PMA

1998 Porsche GT1'98 by Maisto

1999 BMW LMR by both Kyosho and Maisto

2000, 2001, 2002 Audi R8 by Maisto

2003 Bentley Speed 8 by AUTOart

2004 and 2005 Audi R8s to be done by Spark

2006 Audi R10??? I'm sure we will find out soon!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:idisagree (Respectfully of course!!! :giggle ) most of the above are out or at least have been seen in prototype form. But there are a few that may never arrive (such as te '59 winning Aston which Exoto seem to have announced as a future release for years now without so much as a prototype model to show).

But the 956/962 winners are essentially variants of an existing model, so they are the most likely perhaps to come out in less than 5 years! :lol :cheers

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Just an interesting point OT about the 68/69 car. For those who absolutely were adamant about completing a collection of winners, manufacturer and cost aside, would you have the same car twice in #6 and #9 livery? Technically you would need both to cover every year of the race, but on the flip side, it is the same car, and did not exist in double, so how could you have a replica of two of it? If that makes sense?

Do you buy two versions for completeness, or do you have one, to reflect the fact that the very same car was succesful in both years?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.