DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to go about it :giggle

Just looking through the forums last night, I ran across a few models that hard to find, rare or however you would like to descibe that elusive unicorn.

Is there a method to the madness on how to predict whats going to be a "future must have, but can't be found anywhere" model.

I would think that LE models would be a foregone conclusion, however, there is always that one model that gets tagged with the aforementioned status.

A few that I know off the top of my head are "Shamu", "The Naked Lady", "The Last C4" and "The McF1 Madness".

Notice how all of those models can have names :lol

What other models that have been recently released will join these models in that "Hard to Find" category? And is there a way to predict whats going to possibly become rare?

I wish I could borrow Marty McFly's Delorean and go into the future and pick up a diecast almanac of sorts.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
We may not like it, but it's very possible that the Merceds 190E becomes a HTF item, once it was corrected. I would also cite the '53 Vette from AUTOart, most of CMC models, "Bullet" Mustang from AUTOart, the Pink Pig, the Monte carlo Mini Cooper S from Kyosho, Minichamps's M1 line, some of the liveries of the 917/10.

These are the ones I can think of now. but will they become HTF or even rare? Who knows. :shipwrecked

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
haha..yea, maybe, the Merceds 190E
my guess would be the rest of the UT Line of cars once they all sell out.

The blue Minichamps Volvo 1800ES seems be harder to find now

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I would go with the ones that can not be made anymore are going to be rare. Specially the ones that the molds get damaged like the Ertl '40 Fords or the ones that have the mold changed to make another model. Like I have read that there will not be any more 'vert Shelby GT500/350's because Ertl modified the molds to make the fastbacks.

Also, the ones that can not be licensed anymore like the F1's.

I would be leary of predicting that ones that were just stopped being produced would become rare. The UT Corvette Pace Car is HTF, but AUTOart could at any time get a license from Greenlight and run another batch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Schumacher 75 wins is becoming non existent in tores. 5000 made of which 500 were snapped up by Michael himself and 500 by Ferrari for charity promotions. Only 200 came to Canada and I had to get mine from the U.S.A. myself. With the piece of the real uniform from the race tthis model will become impossible to get as the days go on. The 10,000 limited edition championship car in red chrome will be a good one to get too. Both feature figuries of Michael. :mine

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Maisto's Mercedes DTM cars alog with the Audi R8s. I still cant find the 2000 Original Teile Mercedes. Seen the first and last example way back in 2001.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It is difficult to say generally. For example, Opel GT/J by Minichamps is very hard to find now but who wants this model except of me? And there are many such examples of models which are hard to find but are not "in" as for interests of all collectors.
From the new model, I think that 996 GT3 RSR by Minichamps will become hard to find item too. I do not know that but I think that it will be a limited edition, similarly like BMW M3 (E46) GTR by Minichamps. As (almost) everybody likes Porsche and quality of the model will be perfect (I have already orderred it), I think that the model will be soon sold out. But maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I bet that the Lancia Delta Integrale "Final Edition" by Kyosho will become quite a rare model. I can't find it anymore at any German site now! (I ordered the last one from Modelcarworld.de :lol)

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I think there is always some sort of "situation" that causes a model to become rare.
It can be anything from L/E Status to a design/manufacturing error, to slow sales which would lead to a small production run, high sales of a small production run, License runing out, on a race car one of ther sponsors might demand their name sis not allowed on the car or like Al mentioined, a case where the car just won't ever be produced again.

I think sometimes, a car will be released and not sell well in the beginning so the MFG won't order another production run, then a year or to later it becomes a "must have" and the remaining inventory get bought up rather quickly and it becomes HTF.

Its funny, Luciano mentioned the 53 vette and the Pink Pig, I got them both for about 50% off list as niether were selling well at the time. (Pig for $60 and Vette for $35)

I also got the Bullit at a hefty discount because I waited. But not TOO long.

UT's are going up because there is no more UT.
Ditto the Mac

Naked lady was available very cheaply 3-4 years ago

Shamu was another that seemed to be around cheaply and nobody rushed to get one, then all of a sudden there were none left. I think there were not that many of them made?

Last C4 could be explained by the limited production and the unlimited spending by the Corvette crowd :giggle

I think to, some models that our out of production all of a sudden become coveted by new collectors that were not in the hobby during the inital release and the car becomes very sought after. I wonder how many collectors were even thinking about diecast when the Macs were first released?
The hobby was a lot smaller then and I would imagine, the production runs were smaller as well.
There are a lot more mouths to feed now :giggle

Look at the James Bond Aston Martin by AUTOart, there will never be anymore made so the price is high.
There were lots of them made but now there are more people that want them, partly because there won't be anymore and partly because its a great car.

I sure wish I had a crystal ball but I can say ine thing, there are a bunch of guys in the FM/DM world that have boxes of cars stuck under their beds and in their linen closets that thought they were going to get rich and instead are hoping for 80% of their investment :giggle

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
It also depends on the brand, of course. We know that AUTOart will not produce more Bullitts or CLK LM, so they will easily become hard to find. Exoto on the other hand, with it's 238 variations of color for every model, has a lot of models that are in theory limited runs, but no one thinks of them as going to be HTF (because of all the colors and Standox variations). Take the 935 X-Ray as an example, where in theory, only 1976 were made. But because of the infinite color variations, no one thinks of it as a future HTF model.

I also think that if only one variation of a model is produced, and specially if it comes out by only one brand, it's easier for that model to become scarce. The Pig and the '53 Vette would fit here. Minichamps's M3 GTR, with all the variations, are hot items now, but I don't think they should become rare in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.