DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Me gusta!
349 Posts
Okay, so here's not much of a disaster but more of a hindrance. Recently i purchased an AUTOart Toyota GT - One (#2 1999 car) and got the model yesterday. It was stated by the seller that the model had been displayed in a cabinet/case and everything was in order except for the model's original box which was missing. But as the model came to me yesterday, i found paint cracks on its nose:

http://i937.photobuc...11/IMG_0813.jpg
Now having read about this problem already, i know that this thing can happen as a factory flaw. But is there any chance the cracks could have been caused by the seller's bad maintenance of the model?
I'm very sad now that i've realised some other issues with the model like a loose wing and a small paint chip on the door sill. Though these are often negligible, i would be much more happy if he 'd mentioned them in the item description. I may not be seeking for any remedies from the seller, as he specifically said no return allowed; but can someone tell me is it normal for such issues to happen to this model?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would be slightly pissed to find that at what these are going for but I find similar imperfections every time I buy a model that isn't new in the box. This is especially considering the age of this model. I would definitely let him know that it wasn't as expected though.

·
Me gusta!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the GT - One is a at least 2-3 years old mold if i'm not mistaken. As for the feedback, the bad thing is that i only found out about the cracks after i'd left him a good feedback, so the only i could do was to leave him a message, which i just did 2 hrs ago.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Well the GT - One is a at least 2-3 years old mold if i'm not mistaken.
I think it's much older than that... I got my set of six cars back in 2003-04, and they had been released for a while even then. It's a relatively old model, so depending on how it was stored/displayed, some cracking COULD be possible. However, it should have been disclosed before you bought it. I'm sorry for your situation, but on the bright side these models are hard to come by and are still very nice.

·
Administrator
33,630 Posts
Crazing is common on older AUTOart models, especially white on red car - their Mitsubishi Evo's get it a lot too.

The seller should have mentioned it in the ad. See what they say, but as mentioned they are a very desirable model, so maybe you can negociate a part refund with the seller?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think you did the right thing by contacting him. Would have been nice to catch this before leaving feedback, but that's happened to me before as well. I don't check the model out closely enough - or with my glasses on - and it looks good to me! :-( I've learned my lesson.

Hopefully the seller will offer to do something for you. I've had good luck with people who don't deliver *quite* what they advertised giving me partial refunds. I hope you got the car for a decent price. It's still a sweet model.

Mark

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you paid using PayPal you can open a dispute on this no ?
i've had some very positive results with that, partial and even full refunds without having to send the car back. If the seller is a serious, honest one you should be able to get something worked out.

·
Me gusta!
349 Posts
Honestly, I don't think opening a dispute is still a viable option. The thing is, I bought/won the model like 1, 1.5 month ago and the interval was caused by the fact that the delivery actually took place in the US, not in my place Vietnam. I had the model hand-carried back to my place (to avoid some tax things ya know :) Anyway, i should have told the 2nd transporter in the US to check it more thoroughly. Guess handling a diecast model wasn't an expertise for a cologne guy. And now since i've only found the flaws back here in my place, probably 20+ days after the delivery, i doubt the dispute is still available.

Have just found the details on the purchase: item was delivered to an address in the US on the Sep 10th, and here is the description: "Autoart 1/18 scale Toyota GT One, TS020, LM 24-hrs T. Boutsen, R. Kellners, A Mcnish, #2. . Adult owned, was displayed in an enclosed cabinet, mint no box, $14 shipping in the US. International bidders, please consult for shipping rates & ignore the shipping calculator. " (Used condition stated by owner). And here is our short conversation: Me: "Hello, I've just found out that there are paint cracks on the front of the model. The whole area is covered with little cracks ! Please tell me if this is a default defect or has that appeared due to weathering???" Him: "To be honest, I do not remember seeing any cracks in the paint, otherwise, it would have been mentioned in the description. No you mentioned in you feedback something about the antenna being bent a little which is normal due to aging & sometimes they come like that new from the factory, also, what is the deal with the loose rear wing? is it broken or became un-glued? I know for a fact that there was nothing wrong with it when I sent it? Also, the model was insured & well packed, Was it damaged during the shipment? " Then I sent him the above photo and some others pertaining to the chip and the loose wing. Haven't heard anything else from him since (i think last friday). So should I or could I follow up this with any thing guys?

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
That model is almost 12 yrs old. To be quite frank, these kinds of things are to be expected. It's not a big deal and though I understand your disappointment, did you consider that the seller might not have even seen the cracks? I'd recommend deciding whether you want to keep it or not. If not, tell the seller that it was not as described and that you will return it for a full refund. Asking for partial refunds and opening PayPal disputes is not the way to handle this situation IMO.

·
Me gusta!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I won it at 122$ Craig. It was reasonable since the box was missing.
And yes i now think it's not a good option to raise a dispute against the seller; a few further explanations would still be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
You mean $122, right? Not 122$. Other than microscopic, nearly invisible cracks it looks to me like you got what you paid for. Please don't ever buy any models from me.

·
Administrator
33,630 Posts
I won it at 122$ Craig. It was reasonable since the box was missing.
And yes i now think it's not a good option to raise a dispute against the seller; a few further explanations would still be appreciated
Fair price considering it has no box. The rear wing is an easy fix - the two upright parts only pop onto the car (there are two parts that stick out on the uprights, which go into holes on the body of the car) so you'd be able to glue it & it'll be fine. Paint chip wise, if it bothers you just touch it in.
The crazing doesn't look too bad really & it's possible that he might not have noticed it (like I say, it is common for their models to have this, on red & white cars)

If the model really bothers you, stick it back on there, they are always sought after so you'll get your money back. Otherwise sort it as best possible & enjoy it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well the GT - One is a at least 2-3 years old mold if i'm not mistaken. As for the feedback, the bad thing is that i only found out about the cracks after i'd left him a good feedback, so the only i could do was to leave him a message, which i just did 2 hrs ago.
The model is probably more than ten years old by now. I wont say that it is okay to not list every single problem (I sold for $15 off a Kyosho Ferrari that had a box dented in one corner, something most sellers wont even mention) but everything considered, it is acceptable IMO.

Worst case, put it back on ebay, 90% of the buyers wont notice.

·
Me gusta!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You mean $122, right? Not 122$. Other than microscopic, nearly invisible cracks it looks to me like you got what you paid for. Please don't ever buy any models from me.
Ok i was expecting this to come up; ebay should've been a better place though. Sorry for having "provoked" you but don't you think you were, i don't know, childishly overeacting. I never revealed your name here and never opened any dispute via paypal. I believe to some extent you have misunderstood my intention when posting this on DX: i only wanted to share a live example of one huge issue with diecast i have been reading about for a while. As you can probably read from previous posts, i only mentioned the fact that i am confused as to whether the cracks have been a factory default or because of careless maintenance. I was happy with the model at that price, but was not with the description.
I won't be returning the model to ask for a refund - and this is definitely not because you showed up. I won't be buying from you either, cause i believe there are sellers with much more professional responses to issues than yours.
Have a nice day.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Johny, I don't think that is the seller. I might be wrong but I think he was just saying that if you're that picky, he doesn't want to risk selling any models to you. Again, I might be wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts