DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to build a 550 Maranello race car in 1:12 scale, but there was never a proper base to start from. When Top Marques brought their 550 out, I bought one immediately and started the build. At first, I planned to go for the Italtechnica 550 (First Racing, JMB, Dart Racing etc.), but I always had a soft spot for the Prodrive version. So I decided to make the BMS version from the 2002 FIA GT season:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

I started with the front, which meant to carve out a ton of resin and add styrene parts and putty:

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Due to the widened front, the openings on the wheel arches had to be built and attached to the body:

Brown Wood Rectangle Beige Font

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

The openings on the front hood were my biggest concern, as drilling through the hood and insert little wings wasn't possible due to the thickness of the resin. So I went for a fake version. Not totally satisfying, but ok:

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

A first layer of primer and a few first parts added to the cockpit made me pretty happy, as it looked nice altogether:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Steering part Hood Car Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Triangle

Hood Table Wood Automotive design Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

I then had the wheels built by "miy minimodels". They did a very nice job on the wheels: I sent pictures with some specifications, paid for it, and they built it within a few days literally. Awesome !

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

It is still a long way to go: The front light covers give me headaches, the cockpit is a den of carbon fibre and painting has never been my strength... . I hope you like it anyway so far !

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always wanted to build a 550 Maranello race car in 1:12 scale, but there was never a proper base to start from. When Top Marques brought their 550 out, I bought one immediately and started the build. At first, I planned to go for the Italtechnica 550 (First Racing, JMB, Dart Racing etc.), but I always had a soft spot for the Prodrive version. So I decided to make the BMS version from the 2002 FIA GT season:

View attachment 274728

I started with the front, which meant to carve out a ton of resin and add styrene parts and putty:

View attachment 274729

View attachment 274730

View attachment 274731

Due to the widened front, the openings on the wheel arches had to be built and attached to the body:

View attachment 274734

View attachment 274735

View attachment 274736

The openings on the front hood were my biggest concern, as drilling through the hood and insert little wings wasn't possible due to the thickness of the resin. So I went for a fake version. Not totally satisfying, but ok:

View attachment 274737

View attachment 274739

View attachment 274740

A first layer of primer and a few first parts added to the cockpit made me pretty happy, as it looked nice altogether:

View attachment 274752

View attachment 274742

View attachment 274747

View attachment 274744

View attachment 274743

View attachment 274762

View attachment 274763

View attachment 274741

View attachment 274745

I then had the wheels built by "miy minimodels". They did a very nice job on the wheels: I sent pictures with some specifications, paid for it, and they built it within a few days literally. Awesome !

View attachment 274777

View attachment 274779

View attachment 274778

It is still a long way to go: The front light covers give me headaches, the cockpit is a den of carbon fibre and painting has never been my strength... . I hope you like it anyway so far !
sheesh, what a work you have done I will also customize my classic mustang and will put it on an office desk, it will really look in my texas LLC office. any guide or suggestion that I should take care of..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts