DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a ball park figure on production numbers by some of the manufacturers.

I see that Exoto has the Ford GT40 limited to 1966 pieces and the Sauber Mercedes C9 to 2500 pieces.

Maisto has limited the Mercedes SLR Vision cpe and rdstr to 10,000 pieces.

Just from the above examples, I gather limited pieces can vary in range of production. So now I'm tryig to figure out what are the numbers for mass produced models from other manufacturers. :?

I presume that a company like Maisto, Hot Wheels and Bburago have a considerably higher production than say an Auto Art, MiniChamps or Exoto. But I would like to know these companie production numbers for some of their non-limited models.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have always wanted to know production numbers for companies, i have to watch this thread.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I think production numbers for any given diecast can be very arbitrary. Take the example you mention, the 3 car 1966 1-2-3 LeMans winning GT40s from Exoto. 1966 sets have been made because they match the relevant year, in the same way I think Exoto plan to release 1989 models of the 1989 Sauber C9 LeMans winner with it's rolling chassis.

Often I think most of the higher end makers (by this I mean Exoto, GMP, Lane, and say CMC) seem to release between 2,000 to 3,000 of any given colour variety or model derivation. AUTOart, Kyosho and Minichamps may not necessarily restrict numbers released as some models if they are big sellers will end up being produced more.

In the case of the GMP 1970 COPO Nova, 3,500 in total were made, of which 700 were hugger orange (the other 2,700 being astro blue) which is an example of a limited edition within a limited run! The 1968 Lane Camaro Z/28 in blue had a total run of 2,000 of which 500 had a vinyl roof. Another example of a limited run with 2 variants.

Of course, if each colour/model variation is produced at least 2,000 times, the total use of the mould will be far greater than that as each maker will release several more examples to recoup their investment in the mould in the first place. So the same diecast mould may be used 10's of thousands of times to ensure repayment of the initial investement and to make money for the diecast manufacturer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ronan,

Thanks!!!

I have been researching this for some time now. I have found out the molds you speak of can be be instrumental in how a company does on the open market. A lot of companies who have limited production runs also make molds for other companies in the masses, which in turn ensures their pieces stay as limited production models. Even though they make the molds for other companies, they aren't making any other parts of the model such as the interior, tires and decals which distingushes the limited producton models from mass produced models quality and detail.

I'm amazed to learn new things about this hobby. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Ronan,

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:
No problem! :mrgreen:

I do know that 10,000 of any one particular release is alot, as I think Carosel 1 found out when it released 10,000 of each of it's Corvettes as a "limited edition", whereas editions of around 1,000 or so can sell out quite quickly. So for a limited edition I would guess the average is between 1,500 to 3,500 perhaps. Mind you, as I was saying I think the number set is very arbitrary and is just a way to fool us gullible collectors into buying NOW! and not waiting a while until wallets recover from previous purchases!!! ;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Considering I now have a Sauber C9 that is numbered 2574. Its safe to presume that those production numbers aren't concrete. :knutkck:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Considering I now have a Sauber C9 that is numbered 2574. Its safe to presume that those production numbers aren't concrete. :knutkck:
:iagr:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
: I think the only numbers that truly matter at Exoto have $ signs in front of them!!! :sad:

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Ronan wrote:
I think the only numbers that truly matter at Exoto have $ signs in front of them!!!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
: I shouldn't be so harsh! After all, aren't we all trying to make a few bucks in life!!! :angel:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I shouldn't be so harsh! After all, aren't we all trying to make a few bucks in life!!! :angel:
Harsh but still very true. :angel:
Yeah! I guess the main goal is to make those bucks without stepping on too many toes on the way, even though that isn't always possible!!! :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shouldn't be so harsh! After all, aren't we all trying to make a few bucks in life!!! :angel:
Harsh but still very true. :angel:
Yeah! I guess the main goal is to make those bucks without stepping on too many toes on the way, even though that isn't always possible!!! :mrgreen:
Sounds similar to something one of my teachers told me some time ago. In order to move where you want, you may have to step on some toes, he says. :angel:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:bump

Considering we have a ton of new folks and this was one of the very first posts on the forums and I'm still looking for a ballpark number, maybe someone possibly have the answer to this question.

I'll give an example(s)

How many units of the Diablo GTR did AUTOart produce all together.

How many units of the Diablo GTR did Hot Wheels produce all together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts