DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering if these images look properly colored on your screens, I don't know if I've properly calibrated my monitor to display true colors. Is the image dark, bright, too contrast-y, too dull, etc..?

Thanks in advance!

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:lol Thanks Cobalt. I took some photos last weekend and did some PS work before sending them to my friend, and he tells me that on his screen the highlights were too washed out and the shadows too black. And I thought, uh oh, have ALL my pics looked like this??

This proves his monitor sucks. :eek:k

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Eddwin, to my eyes it looks a bit too light. To me the yellow should be a tad darker, closer to what the front of the car is looking like. If you're having troubles getting the right color balance, try a GREY background.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Nothing wrong with those, eddwin - wish mine looked as good!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Eddwin, if that is truly white paper you are using for your BG, then it appears that you have a bit of a color cast, most likely originating from light reflections off the yellow surface of the car. You can fix that with an adjustment layer in PS. Also, you could add a bit more contrast overall using curves in LAB color mode... on second thought, if you fix the color cast the image will be just fine in my humble opinion... just a thought...

BTW, it's strange but true that what you create on your PC/monitor setup will most likely not turn out exactly the same on other folk's monitors. Mac monitors (what I have) display differently than PC monitors. Even different browsers render images differently. This makes life frustrating for us shutterbugs, don't you think? :pullhair

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really is frustrating! I think it's about time companies came up with a universal monitor calibration setting, especially with the latest LCD technology and super wide screens (I can't imagine what life would be like with a 30" monitor!).

I think the color cast is due to the brown box I am using as a light tent... I should get around to painting the insides white. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:lol I know how that feels, its like being snow blind! :lol

Now the pictures look great on my monitor :cheers Good saturation and they are lighter, which really puts so much more life into them! :eek:k

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see what you are talking about Luciano. The yellow seems more homogenous throughout. I think my problem is using three different sources of light: fluorescent, halogen, and tungsten. I seriously need to invest in some proper light fixtures.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I wouldn't be complaining if I came out with pics like that Ed. Not very constructive but they look pretty good to me.

Jeff, I have noticed a massive difference due to the fact that I usually work on a laptop. I create banners and edit photos on it, but having seen some of them on the home PC recently with a proper monitor they can look quite different.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
My dad has a printed color code, that the photography lab gave him. He setted his monitor to those exact colors, so though even if he thinks the color looks a bit wrong on the monitor, he knows that when he sends the arquives to be prented the colors will come out nice.

At least for me, using my Samsung SyncMaster 750v, when I correct colors of photographs to my eye on the monitor they come out as expected when printed. That's one reason that I'm not overly anxious to get a LCD monitor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.