DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Also from some older photos I took. This is from a work-in-progress '69 Boss 429.
These are the wheels that come is the GMP wheel set or several vendors sell them loose. First remove the tire from the wheel. It is a soft tire so it comes off easy.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once apart, these are all the components. See the plastic stub where the screwdriver is pointing. That is where the wheel is hot-melted together and they need pried there.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Use an 13/64 bit to drill out the center. Make sure you drill it from this side because if you drill it from the other side, you will split the collar where the Ertl stub will "grab" on to.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will need to black out the SS emblems if you are putting the on a Ford or Mopar. :giggle Or you can print the centers on label material and use a cheap ($4.99 at HobbyLobby) leather punch to cut them out.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
The "unfinished" finished product. They roll and fit just as snug as the factory ones. Some day I will finish this '69 Boss 429, but probably Ertl will beat me to it. The wheels fit about 80% of the Ertls, specially the Chevelles and Cuda/Challengers.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks Eddie! :cheers Make sure you look it over before you buy it as the cheap ones are Chinese made (not that there is anything whrong with that) and some of the punches are not quite round. :giggle I had to look through about 5 of them to get one that was in good shape. The US made are about $20 and can be found in leather shops.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
No, the Campbell's is a '70. This started as an Evergreen black '69 Mach 1 with the stripes removed and the engine and hood scoop from a '70 Boss 429 that I parted.
There has not been a '69 Boss 429 made yet. Ertl is supposed to modify their '69 mold and release them later this year.

I agree, the GMP wheels add a world of difference. Mike's diecast usually sell 5 sets for about $25 shipped on eBay.

G

·
My bad, I actually read the '69' you posted, but then I thought theonly all black 429 that I have seen has been the Campbells version.

Thats a nice mod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts