DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to dabble in 1:43 for a little bit just because some cars that I want aren't being done in 1:18, and when they are, they're sealed anyway. What I'd like is maybe your ranking from best to worst as far as quality goes. One of the ones I'm eyeing is the Pagani Zonda made by Spark. Is that any good? I'm starting off green with no presumptions or bias for any brand in particular. Thanks. :cheers

I just saw Felix's post on the silver Zonda. Thanks Felix. Oh BTW, this 1:43 thing is largely your influrence. :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spark's are good, but I wouldn't go mad on them.

My favourite is Minichamps, usually around £20 and one of the best manufacturers around! They release new models everyweek and have a very good following of collectors, not one of them is wrong collecting these fantastic models!

AUTOart are also good, but don't release as many releases as M/C. There are other 1:43rd manufacturers that make hand-built models, but the prices are very high, as expected.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I only have about 30 or so 1:43 Tom but I am a big fan of IXO for their value for the $.
Not as good as M/C but at half the cost :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Hey Tom....sorry to be a bad influence on you my friend. :giggle :giggle But if you want someone to "blame" for this whole sealed models thing, blame Autoart. :wink :badidea

I should point out that Spark Models makes them in resin, not diecast out of zamac. The Zonda is well crafted in terms of criteria like:
- paint quality/smoothness
- windows
- smoothness of body lines.
- photoetching on rear of car.

I thought the one weak point were the wheels. Under close scrutiny, you can see the uneveness along the edge of the rim. You can see slight indentations in the photos. But as I've got the car in front of me for another face-to-face look under regular room lighting, the imperfections aren't all that noticeable. The left set of wheels also look ever so slightly misaligned. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but little things like that really stick out for me.

So if I have one recommendation, it's that if you can check the specific model first in person before buying it, that's the best approach. I suspect it's a consistency problem that Spark has because I have a number of their other race cars and they look really top-notch.

As for 1/43 brands, here are some of the more common names. (I'm sure Kelvin (kkwhung) would have a lot more info than I in this area.) I'll list them from low-end/budget models to high-end:

- IXO (budget)
- Autoart (mid-range)
- Minichamps
- Spark
- Ebbro
- Red Line (high end)
- BBR

If you have any more questions, fire away and I try my best to to shed light on the "dark side". :tempted :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have lots of Minichamps 1:43's and they are fantastic. Prices are mid-range I guess for 1:43; about $45-$50US each for the "regular" ones.

I have one RedLine and one BBR. Both are great but I'm not sure if I'll buy any more.
The RL are around $110US from online retailers. I think we all know that BBR's are big $$$.

I am eyeing the LookSmart F430; I believe they are on par with Red Line as the prices are nearly identical.

I have the Onyx Nissan R390 GT1 and love it, but I'm not too familiar with their other models.

Lastly, I have a 1:43 Golf V GTI by Norev and the detail is very good in my humble opinion for a 1:43. I think EWA is the NA supplier of 1:43 Norevs. I would say the average price is about $45US but that may vary.

I'm also eyeing a couple Spark and IXO models but don't have any right now.

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi all if by any chance you might have you had a look at classic carlectables and or biante these are very good models but they are australian models the 1/18 are very good indeed . i am not real sure they go in usa or any where or if the yanks like them there are a couple of places over there .
i have got heeps of them 1/18--1/43--1/64.
anyway just my 2 cents worth cheers barry down under

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Personally I would recommend the Ebbro range of 1:43s, as they generally are very sharp in detail and quality. I also have a few of the Minichamps 1:43 models, and they are generally also quite well detailed, but some of the older models or rereleases (ie. the old Mclaren F1, new-release BMW E30 M3) lack some detail around the brake/ wheel area, although interiors by PMA are very precise.

Autoart also have a detailed range of 1:43s, with generally sharp detail, but somehow these seem a slight bit less desirable than the more niche brands, albeit they are built well.

Anyways here are some quick pictures of an Ebbro NSX model, an older release, for reference and for you to judge the quality of :cheers .

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's a sweet NSX model. To imagine pop-up lights in 1/43 too! Very cool! :nicejob :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom, I would recommend iXO as well because the models they make are really nice, especially all the Le Mans winners available. You cant go wrong with the price either.

:cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the inputs guys. I'm going to spend considerably more time in the 1:43 section next time I'm in my local hobby shop. I'll let you know if I come home with anything. :cheers

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My 1/43 are limited to Autoart and Minichamps (and one Herpa). I tend to prefer Autoart, though. The Bentleys from Minichamps - especially the Flying Spur I got - don't impress me much. The Spur has a few quality control problems. Anyone esle notice this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I like iXO and Kyosho. I think iXO gives you the best value for your money. They make a very impressive NYC taxi that I can't stop looking at!! I just picked up an X3 made by Kyosho around a week ago and that impressed me as well. The detail was amazingly accurate for that scale. The only thing is it will cost you a bit more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
iXO is currently working on releasing all the LM winners, so you are in luck! Spark is also apparently releasing most of the LM cars for 05 this year, including some of the Porsches as well.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I've looked at a few more photos of the '94 and '95 LM Ferrari F40s. I'm undecided if the quality of those two cars is quite up to snuff for my liking. For those cars to be ~$27 and ~$32 (respectively) on eBay, they seem a tad expensive. I think I'll check them out in person somewhere before deciding whether I want them or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem with iXOs is that they have a cheaper line released, so the mould is essentially the same with the cheaper ones except it has a little more details and decals. iXOs can be really good when they are good, but they can also be really bad when it's bad. I'll give you a heads up when they become available (which is soon I believe). :wink

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Must stop looking at Le Mans 1:43's.... :giggle

Got my eye on a couple of Spark cars :tease :pullhair

1 - 20 of 25 Posts