DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have realized that some of the autoart millennium series have two kind of packaging, which one (a jaguar xj13) has the description of "milleninum collection" stated right under the autoart logo on the box, however, another box of the same car only has the name autoart on the box. So i wonder if there any difference in the quality of the models packaged in those two different boxes. (the green on the none "millennium" stated box seems to be ligher in contrast.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Welcome to DX :cheers

I have never been able to figure out all the different divisions that AUTOart has.
Very confusing to me.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer this one.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Welcome mumixpd to the DX Forum. I'm like Max Power & also don't have an answer for you. I'm sure someone will be able to enlighten you in due time.

I hope you enjoy this place!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:welcome mumixpd! You have a great question! I do not know either but some one will chime in and fill us in. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Millennium is the premium line under AUTOart, the rest are standard (except AUTOart contemporary, which is the cheapest line). From what I've seen, most Millennium edition models are packaged with a closed styrofoam box instead of an open window box. If there's a slight difference in box design, it might be possible that AUTOart did them twice at different times so the design is slightly different. As for whether there is any difference between the two, I'd say you should ask if you can open the box to inspect both before you decide which one to buy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed this when I bought my CE Corvettes.

The Convertible came in a Contemporary Box and the Z16 Z06 came in a Performance Division Box. The cars are the exact same with the only difference being one is a vert and the other is a Z06.

Not sure why the Z16 Z06 came in a Performance Division Box as its a street car.

:confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
thanks, i bought that model online, it has the typical AUTOart millennium packaging (styrofoam and all), but it just doesn't say milliennium on the box, i found that kind of strange cause i do see pictures of the box of same model with millennium stated on it.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I don't get the boxes either. Some come in the normal box and other come in the Milennium styrofoam box. The problem is some models that come in the regular box are as good as the Milennium line in terms of fine details.

I think the new styrofoam boxes are just a marketing gimmick, to justify the (normally) higher price of the Milennium edition models.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Welcome to DX!

Is it possible that the millenium models are limited productions? I know Minichamps have released the same models in difference packages and some are limited, some aren't. Maybe it's the same thing here?

The other possibility is that AUTOart did a re-run of the Jag. Perhaps the millenium packaging was changed and the model you have is from the original run.

Try sending Autoart (www.autoartmodels.com) an email about it. They may be able to set you straight on this one. If you get an answer let us know because this is a good question.

Delta_Farce

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Delta_Farce said:
Welcome to DX!
The other possibility is that AUTOart did a re-run of the Jag. Perhaps the millenium packaging was changed and the model you have is from the original run.
:iagree I think the model is the same in all production runs and just the printing on the box that is different. Someone at AUTOart was having too much fun coming up with all these different divisions. Perhaps the original box was printed before they came up with Millennium.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hot Wheels markets their models in different packaging. I know I have seen the Enzo and Viper SRT Coupe in different packaging, albeit, the model is the exact same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the only difference i recall is one of the box says "millenium series" and the other one doesn't, so i doubt they are intended different packaging
Plus, if a model is belong to the first series run, would it be more deisrable or less?
and what about value wise?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
If the model is exactly the same (which I think it is), I can't see why it would be more desirable.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ok, now we're getting into the nitty gritty of collecting.

To distinguish between models there are the obvious things like colour, detail etc between runs. Apart from those differences there are such things as model number and packaging.

If you have a model in it's authentic packaging and that packaging differs to that currently available, you have a different model. I think you should follow up with Autoart, check numbers (if there are any) and verify that you have the original packaging.

Ok, now the second part. If there was a re-run or packaging change and you have the original then it would be more collectible. This is likely to be because there are less of the original packages around. Also people who are fans of the car and serious collectors would probably be after both models (the new packaging and the old) - but I'm talking real die-hard collectors here.

Minichamps have released several F1 cars in different packages. You can buy the normal Minichamps F1 releases, the sponsor releases, and the 'collection' releases. All cars are exactly the same, but the box varies.

On a cynical note, methinks some manufacturers do it to sell extra units.

If Anders sees this I think he could clarify the situation more. EBBRO have done the same with some of their Skylines.

My advice would be to find out as much about the model as you can from Autoart or Biante (or any distributor). I think you might have a gem here.

The other possibility is that the packaging was a factory mistake. If this is the case then you've got a diamond. Factory mistakes are always the best models to have. Minichamps made a mistake on a Schumacher Benneton (1:43) and that sold on eBay for between $2000-$3000. Not bad for at all.

Delta_Farce

1 - 20 of 23 Posts