DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share it with us because I am annoyed at how my pictures always come half blurry. A camera basic is that you have to reduce the F Stop to get better DOF, but it has not worked for me so far (why??) I have a Minolta Dimage Xt (a microcamera), and I'm still learning to use it.
Thanks in advance.
Ivan

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I'm sure VR will explain this better than I can (I've received a ton of great photographic advice from him over the past couple of months) but apart from setting a high value to the f-stop, you need to eliminate camera shake as the shutter speed is slowed down. To do this effectively I bought a tripod (about $40-60 for a good one) and a remote shutter release switch (again about $40-50 I think) to avoid you jarring the camera ever so slightly when pressing the shutter release (you can also set the shutter control to timed release, but this becomes a pain after awhile as each photo takes 20sec or so to take!).

I also have the same camera as VR (the 6.3 MP Canon Eos/Rebel 300D) which is a joy to use!

Here are some of my results using the above technique:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent shots Ronan, thanks for the tips.
I wonder is there is an adaptable remote shutter release for my camera. One good thing is that I can control the timer in my camera (great, I won't turn purple anymore when I take my pictures).

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Ronan: If I recall correctly, the max F-stop on your camera is 22 right? In contrast, my Canon S30 (3.2Mpix) is only 8. :crying

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ronan makes some very good points... :nicejob

I do not shoot in automatic mode...always in manual, or at least in a mode where I can control the aperture setting. I shoot at the highest setting I can, and I try to focus in the middle of the car subject (half way back). That way, there is the greatest chance that the entire car will be in focus. Depth of field is sort of a misnomer... there is only ONE point where everything is perfectly in focus, and a range of points in front of and behind that one point where there is a lesser degree of focus. At high f stop, that range is larger than at smaller f stops.

If you can't set your camera to manual mode, the next best thing is to make sure you have a lot of light illuminating your model. The more light, the larger the f stop your auto camera will choose and the larger DOF you will get.

Also, I've found that with my Nikon Coolpix 990 (my other digicam), which has a 'macro' mode, I don't get very large DOF when using macro. It allows you to get up close, but at a price.

Good luck with learning your camera! :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
StygianMax said:
Ronan: If I recall correctly, the max F-stop on your camera is 22 right? In contrast, my Canon S30 (3.2Mpix) is only 8. :crying
I think that is correct SM!!! (f=22 is the max as far as I can remember!)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Ivan d. said:
Excellent shots Ronan, thanks for the tips.
I wonder is there is an adaptable remote shutter release for my camera. One good thing is that I can control the timer in my camera (great, I won't turn purple anymore when I take my pictures).
No problem Ivan!!! Glad you like the pics!!!

Yes, if there isn't an available remote shutter release for the camera then you will get equal results with the timer release, without the associated hypoxia of the brain!!! :lol :lol :lol :cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts