DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Hiya all,

I found a Guiloy Mercedes Benz C111 model locally, and was wondering if it's worth the 40CAD (around 32USD). I believe it's a dark metallic blue or green colour.

1) is the model in 1:18 scale? Cause I know guiloy is known to produce 1:20's?

2) Any problems with the model that I should aware of? paint probs, etc.

3) a quick review of this model would be great! Thanks in advance!

4) compared to Maistos, is it better? Worse?

Thanks in advance for your help! :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I would say an average Maisto would be a little better then it. And about the price, it depends how much you like mercs.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I'll try to help you...this is my first model review....so guys, if you think I'm wrong on some points, add some comments please....

1) yes it's 1:18 scale and I think $40.00 CDN is the maximum you should pay;

2) few body adjustements needed like the rear hood and doors doesn't close properly;

3) I think the model is not so bad if you keep the hood close. It's good looking but it would have been better if Maisto made it. But since Guiloy is the only one producing the C111, I think it's a respectable car to add to a collection;

4) Compare to Maisto, it's a notch under (quality and detail speaking) but higher... in cost :giggle

Here's some pictures of mine....hope that will help you making up your mind....

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
and...

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
and...

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
and...

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
and the last one...

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have it and I do like it somehow :confused :giggle
The quality is not exactly great, but then again, it's a pretty old model.
And I have to agree with Jeff, $40 CDN is the most you should pay...
I really bought it for subject matters and for that I like it.
I'd say, if you like the car, get the model! :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Lu, Jeff, and BVR for the feedback!

Jeff, your pics are amazing! I can see what you mean by the non-flush doors...

I have no clue as to what the 1:1 is, and capable of doing, guess I'll have to do some research first :giggle I only liked this model because it looks kinda weird for a MB :p

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Looks like it would have been better if Hot Wheels would have made it :giggle

It does look very cool in a 70's sort of way :cheers

Great pics and a nice write up, Jeff :nicejob

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Thanks for your nice comments guys :cheers and here's something for you "gundam40"......hope you'll find in there all the infos you need......

1970 Mercedes C111, 4.8L V8 500bhp, 200+ mph

"The two-seat C111, complete with gull-wing doors. The engine was placed mid-ship. Sixteen prototypes were built.

The MB C111 had three- and four-rotor engines, first shown in 1969 and 1970, respectively. The three-rotor could generate 280 bhp and move the car 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds.

The four-rotor developed as much as 400 horsepower, though it was usually tuned for the street at 305 horsepower. The engine had a displacement of 2.4 litres. There were interesting innovations such as a variable length intake and an anti-lock braking system (ABS). The car weighed 2900 pounds, but was capable of 185 mph. When tuned for 350 hp it did 0 to 60 mph in under 4.8 seconds. The body was changed from the previous year by adding air scoops in the front and cut-aways in the rear roof.

The project was headed by Dr Hans Liebold. It ultimately fell victim to the oil crisis and a timid board with a "not-invented-here" attitude. This was a shame because the cars were unfailingly reliable and wonderful at holding the road. At the high-point and termination in 1978 it set speed records of 403 km/h (250 mph)."

G

·
Gary,

I have seen the car in person myself, and to be honest - I wouldn't pay more than $19.99 USD for one.

The model is unique - one that you don't see everyday - but the quality is not so hot, even for a budget brand.

But if you like it, hey, why not. :cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jeff, for the write up! I would never have guessed that this car was made in the 1970's! :giggle

Thansk Gunther for the pics! That concept car looks a bit different tho. I think the production (?) car looks a tad better

Thanks Souky for the feedback! I saw this model, and found it kinda quirky and an okay price (thought Guiloys were expensive, look at their Suiza model! :help) , that's why I was inquiring about it. I guess I'll have to take a look at the model again in person before I make a decision. But if it's worse than Maisto OR Hot Wheels (!? :help) I think I'll have to pass... It's not as if I'm running outta things to buy :giggle

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Well you thought right.....Guiloys are expensive....but they really improve their quality. The C111 was, like I said, not so bad but you must see the C112....WOW!!!

And talking about the Hispano-Suiza HS-21 GTS....If you wanna see some picture of it, you'll see the big difference between the C111 then and the Hispano now. I've post some picture in this topic:

http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/index...showtopic=23417

And here's some picture of my C112:

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
more...

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
more...

·
Registered