DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One question I really find no joy in answering as a collector is: "How much did that cost you?"

Its almost comparable to asking a woman her weight.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
"Wow, so for that much money, you could have had a real one!"

From someone looking at one car in a 500 model collection, once you have disclosed the range of expense you have incurred to put the entire collection together. :dizzy

When I hear that, it's time for this: :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
"Do these earrings go with these shoes?" or
"How do I look in this dress?" (and we are already late)

Oh...we are talking diecast! :giggle

I have a brother in law that is obsessed with knowing how many diecasts I have and constantly asks. I fell like :smack him!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
"Don't you have enough already?"

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
All of the above. If a collector asks the price, its ok but not anyone else. The questions I like to hear is, "Can I get you this car/bike?"

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
For me the worse is "How much do they cost?". I can't avoid feeling guilty, because these toys ARE expensive here, really expensive. In fact, depending on who asks, I just say they're "kind of expensive".

At least everyone that comes into my office (where they are displayed) think the collection looks fantastic.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Surely everyone dreads that question coming from anyone outside the hobby. I wonder how much of a clue my family have, or whether they still think the models are costing me £20 a time!! I get the guilty feeling too (not that it seems to have any effect!), especially with all I could be saving for. That said, anyone that comes into my bedroom seems to enjoy admiring the cabinet, and my grandmother of all people still asks for a tour of my newest additions.

I suppose the other question is, as Justin said, "Why?!" How does one explain why they choose to spend their money on, as my gf likes to call them, "lumps of metal and plastic"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one i loathe the most always comes right after showing someone a modelcar i really want to get my hands on next, and is:

"-...ehh, why DO you collect these things?"

Like every ******* time :smack :giggle

/Rich

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
I hate it when someone asks how much they cost. Most people would us collectors are nuts when they hear of of spending $60+ on one model. They don't really understand how much satisfaction collectors get from the models.

I also hate hearing "another one? don't you have enough?" Some people just can't comprehend that these models actually are different and if you have one you do not have them all! :rant

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
That one is easy for me. I can cite the historical importance of each and everyone of my cars, giving them a value bigger then just being a miniature. I transform them in something of a tribute to a historical and engineering feat of man. So people who see my collection and "get the tour" have the impression that these are not just toys like a boy would collect, but something with much more meaning ("something serious").

And that's the way I see my pieces. "Every model can only be as good as the history behind it". That's what defines my collection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, has to be the "Why?" question. The "How much?" question is a close second too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.