DiecastXchange Forum banner
121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Yea i got the 2nd release from Ottomobile comes equipped with the "M-Parallel" wheels. I also received the silver E39 M5 few months back and both compliments each other well.
Oh yeah I was tempted by that OttoMobile release and I'm sure its value will rise above retail once its sold out, but I had to maintain my closely-followed collection parameters.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Yes I saw that you have a very impressive BMW and Rolls Royce collection, you should post share more of your collection. For the models that I will actually display properly as part of my main collection, I have set a hard limit of only 24 Ferrari/Aston Martins. Anything outside this would be classified as non-core and would unlikely be displayed properly.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Thanks! I've acquired few more BMWs since beginning of the year but I only managed to snap some photos of the E39 due to lack of time. I received my order of MCG E12 and 2002 Turbo. And bought a Kyosho E92 and E60 pre facelift in the past month from local sellers. Also bought a cheap Motormax 745i on eBay eventhough I already have an identical one from Kyosho (just couldn't resist the price LOL) but the seller thought it was a good idea to ship it in a bag with no protection whatsoever. Needless to say arrived damaged with smashed bumper and broken wheels. Surprisingly the side mirrors were intact largely due to the fact that they were made from diecast and not plastic. At least the seller did the right thing by refunding the purchase.

I think I only have 3 Astons so far. All budget models. a very nicely done DB9 by Welly, Sunstar's DB5 and the James Bond;s Die another day V12 Vanquish by Beanstalk. I quite like to get the Maisto's DB7 and have been on the lookout for one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I see, the Maisto DB7 looks quite decent from a quality/price perspective. That being said I'm trying to focus my Aston Martin collection on either limited production/hypercar models or those that are either in some form associated with 007. I've also been trying to focus more on quality vs. quantity and have thus been trying to pick up a few pieces from CMC. You can take a look at my collection list in my original post, which I keep always to try to update.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yea that is the main reason why I am keen on the Maisto's DB7 for being a rather well built budget underdog. The very same reason why I was drawn to the Porsche 550 Spyder and 356 No1 both also made by Maisto. Modern Aston Martin isn't exactly my core theme so I am willing to settle for cheaper alternative so long they look good with sufficient details all round and proportion and scale are correct. The scale models have gone up in prices while my minuscule disposable income still remain stagnant I have to start compromise quality over price tag LOL. I accumulated about half a dozen CMC 5 or 6 years ago when they were still within reach price wise but I no longer have the appetite for the new CMC releases or even most of the older releases which have also appreciated in value.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Yes prices have gone up several fold over the past decade, but so have my other interests including certain brands of watches. That being said, as I only plan to properly display no more than 24 models, I can afford to splurge on the ones I really want that are within my carefully planned list and stomach the pain. I think half a dozen CMCs are already plenty, so I understand your lack of appetite for their new releases.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
It has been approximately a year since I revisited model car collecting as a hobby. A decade ago, I mainly just bought whatever I liked, but since then I have been far more focused, as a result of limited space and have sold some lower quality non-core models. Eventually, I plan to properly display no more than 24 models in a custom display cabinet. As a result, the parameters of the main collection include the following: 1) the most beautiful Ferrari road cars across different eras mostly in red, 2) Aston Martins associated with James Bond mostly in silver/grey and 3) historically significant or limited-run supercar Aston Martins.

Since last year, I bought 18 models, of which 13 belong to the main collection, and sold three, partially financed through stimulus money. This relatively quick pace of acquisitions can be seen as "catching-up", especially to acquire certain models before they get too expensive. However, the pace of my acquisitions will slow down from here onwards. The updated complete list of my models can be found in my first post. Here is an update of the main collection thus far.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Nice selection and a stunning diecast parade!!

I also started last year to reduce and refocus my collection - roughly 40% of my models sold.
Meanwhile it becomes more and more difficult to identify models that I wouldn't regret to let go.
But as there are still tempting new models announced I need to free up space for storage...

BTW I always have only one model on display - swapping after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Thanks for the kinds words! I try to maintain a level of colour coordination so it is easier on the eye from afar.
Red and silver works very well. I too have bit of silver and red theme going although it was completely unintentional at the beginning. I bought the Autoart's 944 Turbo in red, R32 GTR and 190E in silver at the beginning and then I decided to pursue the rest of them to sort of making a trio out of them. Picked up Autoart 924 CGT and Minichamps' 924 all in same shade of red. And later silver R33 and R34. Also got the 190E EVO2 in silver but I am not unable to get the 190E 2.3-16 in silver. Only hope now would Norev if they decide to make one.

By the way, after looking at the picture of your fine collection of Ferraris and Aston Martin that inspired me to move my display around a little. I now put the Die Another Day's AM Vanquish next to my other Aston Martins. I used to park it next to the rest of the James Bond movie cars. I also just remember that there is another "cheapie" AM I would like to get, the One-77 by Mondo Motors. They used to be plentiful but now they are bit hard to come by.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the kinds words! I try to maintain a level of colour coordination so it is easier on the eye from afar.
Red and silver works very well. I too have bit of silver and red theme going although it was completely unintentional at the beginning. I bought the Autoart's 944 Turbo in red, R32 GTR and 190E in silver at the beginning and then I decided to pursue the rest of them to sort of making a trio out of them. Picked up Autoart 924 CGT and Minichamps' 924 all in same shade of red. And later silver R33 and R34. Also got the 190E EVO2 in silver but I am not unable to get the 190E 2.3-16 in silver. Only hope now would Norev if they decide to make one.

By the way, after looking at the picture of your fine collection of Ferraris and Aston Martin that inspired me to move my display around a little. I now put the Die Another Day's AM Vanquish next to my other Aston Martins. I used to park it next to the rest of the James Bond movie cars. I also just remember that there is another "cheapie" AM I would like to get, the One-77 by Mondo Motors. They used to be plentiful but now they are bit hard to come by.
[/quote]

Those are some very tasteful models, the AutoArt 190E and 924 CGT. Glad to have inspired your collection reshuffle, the Die Another Day Vanquish indeed displays very nicely on the shelf. The One-77 is also on my wish list but I am waiting patiently for the AutoArt grey one below retail price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
The Ferrari 458 Speciale was introduced in 2013 as the high performance and somewhat limited variant of the 458 Italia. The car featured a more aggressive frontal intake and bumper, aerodynamics package and a highly distinctive "NART" racing livery. The engine was revised to deliver 597 hp, from 562 hp in the standard 458 Italia, which helped launch the car from 0-60 in 3.0 seconds. This engine was also Ferrari's last naturally aspirated V8. In my opinion, the 458 Speciale was one of the last beautiful Ferraris, as a result of Ferrari's 2017 decision to terminate its longstanding partnership with design house Pininfarina, who have been responsible for most of the Ferraris designed since the 1950s. It's no coincidence that I was never a fan of the designs of the LaFerrari and 812 Superfast. A few years ago, I had the pleasure of sitting inside a 458 Speciale in this exact configuration while its owner expertly weaved through traffic at a speed high enough for the tracking control warning light to continually flash.

This particular model is made by Hot Wheels Elite ("HWE") and was also one of their last before their license was terminated. The model is generally well made with decently-sized rims; the same cannot be said of the HWE Ferrari F430 & F430 Spider. While there is realistic opening mesh in the bottom frontal grill, bonnet vent and engine bay, I would have preferred the same to be true for the frontal headlight and rear vents.

And together with its predecessor, the Ferrari F430 Spider

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A 458 in a gym suite, still a pretty car, I have yet photo mine, but a pretty car congrats.

I agree is is a huge shame that Ferrari are styling their own cars now, they still nice but they are largely just variants on the last gen cars styled by PininFarina. Most of the current cars are based on a designs that are a decade old or more and the new stuff, like the sf90 is the usual business of striking yes and nicer than say their Maclaren rivals..but are they pretty..I don't know.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
A 458 in a gym suite, still a pretty car, I have yet photo mine, but a pretty car congrats.

I agree is is a huge shame that Ferrari are styling their own cars now, they still nice but they are largely just variants on the last gen cars styled by PininFarina. Most of the current cars are based on a designs that are a decade old or more and the new stuff, like the sf90 is the usual business of striking yes and nicer than say their Maclaren rivals..but are they pretty..I don't know.
I would love to see more of your HWE Ferraris, especially that silver F12 with the 250 GTO TdF livery. I quite like the design of the SF90, but so far it is the exception in the post-PininFarina era of Ferrari rather than the mean. I agree that the 488 and F8 Tributo are still too reliant on the decade-old 458 design, almost how the 328 is compared to the 308. Given my preference for 1960s Ferraris and the 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso, I am trying to like the Roma, but I'm still not there yet.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I quite like the Ferrari 458 Speciale and you are right about this being well made, one of HWE's last model before they exited the 1/18 Ferrari scene. I remembered this and the LaFerrari HWE were quickly sold out the moment they were released. I have been thinking about getting a hard top version of 458 for quite some time now as I only have the spyder version and the GT2. The GT2 was a gift and there was a choice between a cheaper 458 Italia Alonso version and the GT2 but i got the GT2 instead. In hindsight the Alonso one would be much better since I focus my collection on road going cars and the pearl white 458 Italia is hugely popular and price reflects that.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Congrats with the Speciale! I got it too recently.
It's the very last HWE Ferrari, released in 2014 if I remember correctly.

@Jazzy, the red HWE 458 Italia has dropped significantly in price (from ~180 euro at the top to ~100 euro currently). So go for it!

121 - 140 of 156 Posts