DiecastXchange Forum banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have it in yellow, but it looks just as good in red! The one thing I don't like on the HWE Speciale is the stance, if it wasn't so difficult to lower the HWE, I'd have done it already.

Now the F430 Spider, I've been looking for either the one in gray or the "Seal" one (in black). They're very nice, I don't mind the size of the wheels at all. That one and the 458 Spider are maybe the only roadsters I like.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A 458 in a gym suite, still a pretty car, I have yet photo mine, but a pretty car congrats.

I agree is is a huge shame that Ferrari are styling their own cars now, they still nice but they are largely just variants on the last gen cars styled by PininFarina. Most of the current cars are based on a designs that are a decade old or more and the new stuff, like the sf90 is the usual business of striking yes and nicer than say their Maclaren rivals..but are they pretty..I don't know.
I would love to see more of your HWE Ferraris, especially that silver F12 with the 250 GTO TdF livery. I quite like the design of the SF90, but so far it is the exception in the post-PininFarina era of Ferrari rather than the mean. I agree that the 488 and F8 Tributo are still too reliant on the decade-old 458 design, almost how the 328 is compared to the 308. Given my preference for 1960s Ferraris and the 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso, I am trying to like the Roma, but I'm still not there yet.
[/quote]

I am still undecided on the sf90 as well. I am a sucker for the 60's Ferrari too, especially the 250 Lusso though I like the new Lusso and would have a model of one if they weren't so pricey. I like to see more of my F12's too, I was waiting for a few more pieces for the Silver one and just haven't gotten to shooting it, the cmc 250 GTO Tour De France, and now the blue F12. But it takes me a while to do a photo, I have the blue F12 shot..but am still working through Ecto 1 photos but I am getting there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I am still undecided on the sf90 as well. I am a sucker for the 60's Ferrari too, especially the 250 Lusso though I like the new Lusso and would have a model of one if they weren't so pricey. I like to see more of my F12's too, I was waiting for a few more pieces for the Silver one and just haven't gotten to shooting it, the cmc 250 GTO Tour De France, and now the blue F12. But it takes me a while to do a photo, I have the blue F12 shot..but am still working through Ecto 1 photos but I am getting there.
Yeah despite my criticisms, I'm still a Ferrari fan, relative to the recent extreme designs from the likes of McLaren (Senna, Speedtail), Bugatti (Chiron, Centodieci) and Lamborghini (Egoista, Sian).

·
Registered
722 Posts
The HWE 458 Speciale is a very nice model, no doubt about it. BTW, great line-up, F40, Enzo, GTO, 512, 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso... my kind of garage!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like your focus and your aspiration to a discipline! Been there - at first I was limiting myself to 10, then to 15 (of the very VERY best!!), then broke through my own self-imposed limit and now stand at about 42. In fact been at 42 for years, as I step away from models for three-four years at a time. Still, I find that - finally - my 42 models cover just about the entirety of my interest in automotive design! As to why 42 - I tended to joke that it was because of "42" being the "ultimate answer to the universe" (from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), but it was really simple - my ikea cabinet has 7 shelves, each holding 6 models...

Re. Ferraris - I always thought that besides the 250GTO and F40 both of which you already have, the other best one was 375Plus (BBR made a great diecast model of that spyder years ago) - I actually prefer its design over 250 Testa Rossa 'pontoon' spyder. Then there are the Ferraris that are not Ferraris by name - like Lancia Stratos which was equipped with a Ferrari engine from Dino. Another great diecast Ferrari model was made by BBR years ago of 1979 Ferrari 512BB in a presentation red livery (with empty white circles) from LeMans. A transitional brute with a shape somewhere midway 288 and F40, yet meaner than both! In real life, its engine is the most beautifully sounding Ferrari engine ever!
Lastly, I am sorry but I personally cannot take Aston Martin's seriously; It is a poseur car that looks good on TV and cinema, and, frankly, does not hold a candle to Ferrari "real McCoy" racing performance... Cheers!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I really like your focus and your aspiration to a discipline! Been there - at first I was limiting myself to 10, then to 15 (of the very VERY best!!), then broke through my own self-imposed limit and now stand at about 42. In fact been at 42 for years, as I step away from models for three-four years at a time. Still, I find that - finally - my 42 models cover just about the entirety of my interest in automotive design! As to why 42 - I tended to joke that it was because of "42" being the "ultimate answer to the universe" (from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), but it was really simple - my ikea cabinet has 7 shelves, each holding 6 models...

Re. Ferraris - I always thought that besides the 250GTO and F40 both of which you already have, the other best one was 375Plus (BBR made a great diecast model of that spyder years ago) - I actually prefer its design over 250 Testa Rossa 'pontoon' spyder. Then there are the Ferraris that are not Ferraris by name - like Lancia Stratos which was equipped with a Ferrari engine from Dino. Another great diecast Ferrari model was made by BBR years ago of 1979 Ferrari 512BB in a presentation red livery (with empty white circles) from LeMans. A transitional brute with a shape somewhere midway 288 and F40, yet meaner than both! In real life, its engine is the most beautifully sounding Ferrari engine ever!
Lastly, I am sorry but I personally cannot take Aston Martin's seriously; It is a poseur car that looks good on TV and cinema, and, frankly, does not hold a candle to Ferrari "real McCoy" racing performance... Cheers!
Yes, hopefully I have the discipline to keep my collection fairly small, below 40... I am also not the biggest fan of the "Pontoon Fenders" of the 250 Testa Rossa, so I prefer the revised version that Sir Michael Kadoorie bought back in 2012 (s/n 0728TR) which unfortunately is not made in 1:18.
Personally I think your criticism of Aston Martin is a bit harsh; for an independent car company in this day and age it is very hard to compete against the R&D budget and shared platforms from the likes of VW Group, Daimler AG, BMW and FCA Group. I also don't think that racing performance/pedigree is the sole determinant of road car legitimacy. However, I do think that they need to better communicate their branding and price point, particularly in the US market where they rely heavily on the 007 association. Unfortunately, the ultra high-end One-77 and Vulcan were too limited to make an impact on the brand. I hope the DBX proves to be sales success which can help them fund the other promising projects like the Valhalla.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I like Aston Martin as a brand, mostly because of the timeless beauty the DB9.

Regarding the DBX, both the exterior and the interior are promising, but that aging entertainment system is really a shame. They are using the last generation Mercedes interface with no touch screen, right? I would imagine people buying such a SUV really prefer a touch screen.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I like Aston Martin as a brand, mostly because of the timeless beauty the DB9.

Regarding the DBX, both the exterior and the interior are promising, but that aging entertainment system is really a shame. They are using the last generation Mercedes interface with no touch screen, right? I would imagine people buying such a SUV really prefer a touch screen.
I also agree that the DB9/DBS has a certain timeless beauty not matched by any of the modern Aston Martins.

Yes the DBX, as well as other Astons, are still using the previous generation Mercedes interface. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but having lived with touch screen Teslas for years, I still prefer the previous generation Mercedes control wheels, but I know this is a turn-off for a lot of buyers. Initial reviews seem to praise the DBX for good driving dynamics and a spacious interior. But the DBX always looks smaller than its dimensions; I'm not sure how appealing this attribute is to the US/Chinese market where consumers tend to prefer vehicles that have presence.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
The BMW Z8 was produced between 1999 and 2003 as a homage to the iconic 1956 BMW 507 roadster. Designed by Henrik Fisker, the Z8 combined both modern and vintage inspiration and to this day remains a timeless classic. The V8 engine was modified from that of the E39 M5, which yielded 395 horsepower, launching the car from 0-62 in 4.7 seconds. The Z8 was featured in the 1999 James Bond movie “The World Is Not Enough” and was the culmination of a three-movie product placement deal with BMW which began with the 1995 BMW Z3 in “GoldenEye” and later featured a 1994 BMW E38 750i in “Tomorrow Never Dies”. I always thought the Z8 was underrated given its relatively limited production of 5,700 units, level of hand finishing and a lack of successor, much like the one-off Lexus LFA. As such, I'm not surprised that values of the Z8 have started to appreciate in recent years after a trough in the early 2010s.

Here is a video showing the BMW Z8 in action in "The World Is Not Enough".

And along with another high-end BMW of the same era.

And beside other cars driven by 007 in the Pierce Brosnan era of James Bond.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Nice JB inspired theme going on there! :whistle: Too bad the Z8 didnt get to see much action in the "The world is not enough" before get sliced in half 😫 almost like a static product placement. TheZ8 is indeed a somewhat underrated classic I too didn't pay too much attention to it at the beginning. I only got a Maisto version of it and would love to get the Kyosho one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Nice JB inspired theme going on there! :whistle: Too bad the Z8 didnt get to see much action in the "The world is not enough" before get sliced in half 😫 almost like a static product placement. TheZ8 is indeed a somewhat underrated classic I too didn't pay too much attention to it at the beginning. I only got a Maisto version of it and would love to get the Kyosho one.
Yes, it's a shame the Z8 action scenes were so limited in the movie. I have two Z8 models in different colours, both of which are from AutoArt. I believe others on this forum have been quite critical of the 007 Kyosho one.

Very nice model, I really enjoy reading your post and love the James Bond car collection!
Thanks for your kind words. I mainly stick to Aston Martin Bond cars but I made an exception with the Z8.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
The Ferrari 410 Superamerica was produced between 1955-1959 as a large grand tourer and was among the world’s most expensive cars. The car featured 335 hp from a Lampredi V12, derived from the legendary 375 Plus race car. In total, 35 units were made, most of which adopted the elegant bodywork from coachbuilder Pinin Farina. Given the original price tag of the car, ~3x that of the Mercedes 300 SL, the first owners of these cars were among the most high profile, including the Shah of Iran, Emperor Bao Dai of Vietnam as well as leading industrialists of the time.

This particular model made by Hot Wheels Elite (“HWE”) is among their finest and most detailed. Highlights include photo-etched grill, wiper blades and side vents, precise interior and engine bay, tight shut lines and a lack of dog-leg door hinges.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
The Ferrari 365 GTB/GTS Daytona was produced between 1968 and 1973 and facilitated a change in Ferrari’s design language from the rounded designs of the 1960s to those characterized by angular shapes. The Daytona name derived from Ferrari’s 1967 1-2-3 finish at the 24 hours of Daytona race. Of the ~1,400 units produced, only 122 of them were Spiders, making the open-top version more desirable among collectors.

This is my first KK-scale model which I am fairly satisfied with, given the “budget” price point. Although the flooring lacks flocking, the interior is rather detailed and captures the essence of the Daytona-style seats, which are to this day a highly popular option among modern Ferraris. That being said, it's still unfortunate this closed diecast model doesn't have pop-up headlights.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I really love the BMW Z8. I'm not much of a fan of the brand but the Z8 is undoubtedly one of its best-looking productions and definitely an instant classic. You mention the engine was modified from the BMW M5 unit but I don't see no modifications, it is exactly the same aluminium S62 4941 cc 400 hp engine as the M5...

As for the 410 Superamerica, I have to say it's probably the best Hot Wheels Elite ever. The engine is highly detailed, the metal wheels look pretty nice and the bodywork is full of details and chrome elements that add a lot of sense of quality. Really, rally nice.

Finally the 356 GTS/4 by KK-Scale, fora a sealed model, looks to be also quite a nice option. The mould appears accurate and the interior colour combination is spot-on for the body colour you opted.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I really love the BMW Z8. I'm not much of a fan of the brand but the Z8 is undoubtedly one of its best-looking productions and definitely an instant classic. You mention the engine was modified from the BMW M5 unit but I don't see no modifications, it is exactly the same aluminium S62 4941 cc 400 hp engine as the M5...

As for the 410 Superamerica, I have to say it's probably the best Hot Wheels Elite ever. The engine is highly detailed, the metal wheels look pretty nice and the bodywork is full of details and chrome elements that add a lot of sense of quality. Really, rally nice.

Finally the 356 GTS/4 by KK-Scale, fora a sealed model, looks to be also quite a nice option. The mould appears accurate and the interior colour combination is spot-on for the body colour you opted.
Yeah the Z8 is visually quite unlike any other BMW which is probably why I like it so much despite not being that big a fan of the brand itself. As for its engine, you are probably correct.

I have recently been adding a few more of these silver/grey vintage Ferraris as one of my collection parameters, which I hope to upload onto this threat later on.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts