DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wanting to know anyone ever used this site before. Seems like he only sells through Facebook. We'll I was ordering a model through them. There shipping was excessive but I was happy to pay it rather than argue then when he invoiced me he's now added PayPal fees to my order of 30euro. Now I think this is totally out of order given the model is full retail price (in fact a bit more expensive then it should be) and as a seller that's his responsibility not mine as I already get shafted on currency conversion by paypal anyway....legally he should also remove the tax as I'm in the UK but said they don't and would mark as low value which again I was happy with to make the transaction easier... but im sure he would fiddle it his side to gain the extra £££ in there pocket. Seems like this seller wants his cake and eat it. Have others had similar experience? I'm thinking of telling him to stuff his model and buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Alert paypal.
Many years ago they introduced a rule which forbade charging extra when paying with their service.
Before the rule was introduced it was commonplace to see sellers advertise a 5% surcharge.
As regards VAT deductions, it only applies to registered businesses - if this is a private seller it doesn't apply.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Asking to cover the Paypal fee is a fair and common practice and I always ask whoever is buying my models to do that. He could be a bit better at telling people that upfront. I noticed he only told me after I sent him the reserve fee. Shipping is excessive everywhere now unfortunately

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think it's just wrong. I don't go in to a shop and then be asked to pay more as I'm using a credit card. Nor do any of the other online sellers charge more for using PayPal. Seems like this person is a 1 man band and is just greedy rather than intrested in building repeat business. £600 for a model car is already a ridiculous amount with out them pushing more fees in top.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
His prices tend to be better than any of the other shops which tells me he relies on high volume to make a profit. So a paypal fee for a £600 model is £27 at the 4.5% rate. That's a big chunk to lose when your profit is 5-10%. But to repeat my previous statement, he should definitely state that before the customer sends the payment. He didn't do that with me either. Granted my model is "only" $180 in comparison to your £600 but still would have been nice to know. Mention it to him

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luckily all turned out OK in the end. A ebay seller just listed the same model 50euro cheaper and no paypal fees like rare 118 tried to scam me on (so I saved 80euro). Each to there own but I will avoid this seller from now on, selling via Facebook isn't the most professional set up anyway and really don't agree with how he does business hiding costs until the last minute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey AN02EWC!

I wasn't expecting to see a thread related to that store here, but once upon a time (until last Christmas), I was a very regular customer of Rare118modelcars. The shop owner was an old acquaintance of mine, and after my favorite shop closed its doors, I've started buying many model cars there (mostly Ottomobiles).

Well, it eventually got to the point where the guy who runs the show plainly refused to open the boxes of the last batch of models I had ordered him to check their condition (including a Bugatti EB110 Supersport from AutoArt, even though I was giving my full permission for him to do it), claiming that he wouldn't take the responsibility of eventually defective models from Ottomobile or AutoArt, because their chances of having some sort of issue were very high and he couldn't take the blame from something that wasn't his fault.

Of course, that Bugatti, as well as the other stuff that I had ordered at that point, never reached my place, because I couldn't and wouldn't transfer any more money to someone that provides such a miserable customer service, no matter the cost of my purchases.

I guess my advice is, check other stores before engaging in some purchases with this one. There's always an alternative. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
100% that's exactly his attitude. Don't worry I won't be using him I could see his arogent attitude coming through in the messages I shared with him. Basically said if it turned up damaged something small like broken wing mirrors he would expect me to fix them and it's not his issue..... on a £600 model crazy.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know Tiago frow a while ago, exactly from the same "place" as @Supercharged_92 and I admit I have bought him a few models in the past (in hindsight, I didn't make much if a great business either) and back then he was "strangelly affable"... the click happened when he stopped dealing budget models and enbarked in more profitable segments. That's when his arrogance came afloat and that's a way of being I can't tolerate. We are not buying first-need products so we have to "deal with it", it's collectables, hobby pieces so we don't really need this. That's why, at this point, he could be the last model car seller on the planet and I wouldn't buy him a bolt if it was free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts