DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flat black background just didn't allow the colours of the Benetton car to punch out so it was back to the glossy black one.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Your photos are fantastic, 'glossy' backgrounds always look better 'flat'

Hope you don't mind, but I pinched your picture and put it on a glossy blue background
(blue always has been my favourite bg)

It is only blue perspex 'tabletop', blue colorama paper at the back, lit from under the table and masked off to create shading at the top

http://photobucket.com/albums/v346/kenrobi...t=bennetton.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Some very well thought out pics Felix! Love black in gloss!! always will :) :nicejob :nicejob :cheers :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,936 Posts
LUW said:
Outstanding pics Felix! :cheers
Thanks for the kind words Luciano. :cheers I like how everyone here has different styles of taking pictures. The variety makes this place a real gallery of diecast pictures that's always fun to "walk through". Your (& Richard's) bathroom shots are no doubt in a fine class of their own. :cheers :cheers

RGUNZ & G3: Thanks for your kind words. Don't get dehydrated from drooling okay? :giggle :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,936 Posts
kenrobinson6 said:
Your photos are fantastic, 'glossy' backgrounds always look better 'flat'

Hope you don't mind, but I pinched your picture and put it on a glossy blue background
(blue always has been my favourite bg)

It is only blue perspex 'tabletop', blue colorama paper at the back, lit from under the table and masked off to create shading at the top

http://photobucket.com/albums/v346/kenrobi...t=bennetton.jpg
AMAZING!!!!! I do love what you've done with the background Ken!! Could you please explain how you did that?



Funny you mention about the blue. One of the reasons why I stayed away from getting this #55 car for so long was because its livery is heavy on the green/yellow/red content. Me, being blue freak, thought something is missing from this car. The "Portugal Telecom" logos are the saving grace in splashing some blue on this car. So, your choice of a blue background is just smashing!! In my opinion, it really balances out the colours in the way this car is presented visually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Domin8 said:
Some very well thought out pics Felix! Love black in gloss!! always will :) :nicejob :nicejob :cheers :cheers
Thanks Stach for your kind words! :cheers Gloss black certainly does make lighter coloured cars punch out more.

Jeff & ALI G: Many thanks for your compliments. :cheers :cheers The glossy board does scratch so one needs to be very careful when moving the car over the board. All it takes is some gritty dust particle under the tire to scratch the surface. Before shooting my pictures, I always dust the surface with a soft cloth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
StygianMax said:
kenrobinson6 said:
Your photos are fantastic, 'glossy' backgrounds always look better 'flat'

Hope you don't mind, but I pinched your picture and put it on a glossy blue background
(blue always has been my favourite bg)

It is only blue perspex 'tabletop', blue colorama paper at the back, lit from under the table and masked off to create shading at the top

http://photobucket.com/albums/v346/kenrobi...t=bennetton.jpg
AMAZING!!!!! I do love what you've done with the background Ken!! Could you please explain how you did that?



Funny you mention about the blue. One of the reasons why I stayed away from getting this #55 car for so long was because its livery is heavy on the green/yellow/red content. Me, being blue freak, thought something is missing from this car. The "Portugal Telecom" logos are the saving grace in splashing some blue on this car. So, your choice of a blue background is just smashing!! In my opinion, it really balances out the colours in the way this car is presented visually.
Basically,

I have got a Photoshop Graduated Blue background file,

Layered behind your car picture (ie 2 layers),

Cut out the black from the horizon upwards cutting around your car picture,
leaving the car reflection on the bottom half

Duplicated the graduated blue layer, placed it over the car layer (ie 3 layers)
changed the opacity from 100% (ie solid) to 50% (semi transparent)
so you could see the car reflection in the foreground

Then carefully erased the blue graduated top layer allowing the car image to show through
but the reflection still having a blue tint

Phew - its easier to do it than to type !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
StygianMax said:
The glossy board does scratch so one needs to be very careful when moving the car over the board. All it takes is some gritty dust particle under the tire to scratch the surface. Before shooting my pictures, I always dust the surface with a soft cloth.
Further to the above quote, why don't you try coloured perspex

I am sure that you will be able to get any colour you want, it will also be more scratch resistant then glossy board
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kenrobinson6 said:


Basically,

I have got a Photoshop Graduated Blue background file,

Layered behind your car picture (ie 2 layers),

Cut out the black from the horizon upwards cutting around your car picture,
leaving the car reflection on the bottom half

Duplicated the graduated blue layer, placed it over the car layer (ie 3 layers)
changed the opacity from 100% (ie solid) to 50% (semi transparent)
so you could see the car reflection in the foreground

Then carefully erased the blue graduated top layer allowing the car image to show through
but the reflection still having a blue tint

Phew - its easier to do it than to type !
Thanks for that detailed step-by-step set of instructions Ken. I think I understand the basic jist of it. Now I'll just have to try it out for myself. What version of PhotoShop do you use? I've recently got my hands on ver 7 so I even haven't tapped into 98% of its features.

:cheers :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kenrobinson6 said:
Further to the above quote, why don't you try coloured perspex

I am sure that you will be able to get any colour you want, it will also be more scratch resistant then glossy board
Even in the arts supplies store, the colour choices are very limited. Is that the type of store where you buy your perspex from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
Because I do a lot of Exhibition Graphics at work using files supplied by our clients, I have use a Mac with OS9.1 and a lot of the older programmes, I used Photoshop 6.01, not so much of a learning curve. But I wish I had the Patch and Healing tool from newer versions (they alone is worth the upgrade cost!)

If you wish I could email you the graduated background Photoshop file (its 640x480 pixels and a 36k compressed JPeG)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
StygianMax said:
kenrobinson6 said:
Further to the above quote, why don't you try coloured perspex

I am sure that you will be able to get any colour you want, it will also be more scratch resistant then glossy board
Even in the arts supplies store, the colour choices are very limited. Is that the type of store where you buy your perspex from?
We got it from an Exhibition mounting board supplier in the UK
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top