DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized the other day I don't have any American cars in my collection. I'd love to start adding some and am looking for recommendations for the first. These are the ones I'm considering; any comments welcome:

Autoart Ford GT (probably the red with white stripes)

Autoart 50th Anniversary Corvette (in the awesome red color)

Or maybe an AUTOart C5R?

Autoart Cadillac CTS-V racecar (Sealed; I know :( )

Ertl 1967 Corvette 427 convertible

Ertl/HW61 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (maybe the "Phantasm" one?)

:tempted :shipwrecked :help

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with any of those :cheers
Well, maybe the Ertl vette, it is very old and not up to their current standard. The Cudas are very nice.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I agree with Julza, go the Ford GT!

I'm waiting for one to come in for me at the moment, it is a stunning car and from what I've seen from Justing and Jeff (Cuda Jeff) it is also a stunning model.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those cars though.

Mark

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
F50-GT, what's your collection theme? Do you do street/race cars?

in my opinion, I'd get the AUTOart C5R, since it's cheaper than the FGT, and it's just as well made, more "bang for buck". The FGT is too expensive...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can never, ever go wrong with a Corvette or a C5R as your first American car :happy :cheers :nicejob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I say either the CTS-V race car or the C5-R. Both are great models, even tho the CTS-V is sealed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would recommend the HW61 Cuda .

Proper American Muscle and at $40 a go , they come with a price / detail level that is very hard to beat . :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd go C5R...that was my first American racer (an old Yat Ming Cobra, and Mira Mustang were my first 2 street cars, but that's before I would've considered myself a "collector")

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I to believe you cannot go wrong with any of those choices.

But consider some of the newer releases from Ertl before commiting to a choice.

Look at their Boss 429(1 of 2500) and 69 Camaro(1 of 2500).

Highway 61 new Boss is a gem as well.

As much as I like the Corvette heritage and character, no American Muscle collection is official until late 60's & early 70's Chevelles, Mustangs and Camaros have a spot on the shelf :happy

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I would go with the 'Cuda (specially the redone Ertl) as they are found at a good price. Better yet, I would go with a GMP GTO or a Lane Chevelle or an Authentic Mustang! It does not get any more American than that!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Yes go a Chevelles, Mustangs, Dodge or Camaro, Would be the best way to start, looking forward to seeing which one you chose.

:cheers

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Of those you listed, I'd have to go with the GT. Probably the greatest bang-for-your-buck supercar in a very long time and a really fabulous american car. If not that, the Cuda. I might have to say that the Cuda is my favorite american muscle car. Watch out for ERTL models though, they are usually bottom of the line 1:18 models, quality wise. Hot Wheels at their worst is better than ERTL at their best.

Above all though I'd recommend the AUTOart Callaway C12 Corvette. It's a gorgeous model, excellent quality, and it looks wicked. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good choices to choose from. But I'll suggest you get the C5R as your very first American car. :cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I don't agree at all! :pullhair What rock have you been under? :lol Have you seen the Authentics line? Or the P-100 line? because those are Ertls!!!!!!!!
I do agree that there are some lowly Ertl, but they are consistant with the price point and the time they were released! I have hundreds of them, and I hardly never paid over $20 for any of them. I wasn't expecting more than what $20 should buy me!

About Hot Wheels, the one they made 13 year ago have not evolved at all. The same cr*p they sold then, they are still selling now with hardly no improvement. I know as I I have over 100 HWs.

Did you see the re-tooled Cuda that Darrick posted? What other sub $25 diecast has carpet, wires, seatbelts and realistic hood and door hinges? For crying-out loud you would have to pay 3x that much to get an AUTOart to have those features and even then it might have doglegs! and it might be sealed! :giggle

Sorry to go on a rant! Nothing personal F1 Guy, but nothing gets my goat than when someone uses a broad brush stoke to discribe a whole company.

An I am by far not defending Ertl, as they are on of my favorate companies to bash (as I do in other forums) but only when they make bone-head decissions!

Again sorry F50-GT, I did not want to high-jack you post. What ever you get, make sure you post pics! :yahoo

1 - 20 of 28 Posts