DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have been inspired to remove the decals from a Porsche 911 GT2 by the recent rogue Ebay auction. I always wanted a 911 GT2 EVO but they are now commanding silly prices on Ebay so i see this as a cheap alternative and i hope it will look nice next to my 911 GT3R.

I was wondering if anybody knew if an idiots guide to removing decals from diecast models exists or failing that would anybody be able to share some tips.

I know that the recommended method it to use nail varnish remover. However can this be used on things such as windshields or will it damage them. Does too much varnish damage the paint. It is silly things like that that I need answered. It is a nice model so i don't want to ruin it.

Thank You

David Nicholson

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Hi Dave, welcome to the forums :thumb:

I asked the same question a while back and the answer I got from the top guys in customizing was that yes, you can use fingernail polish remover (FPR) to remove decals by using it to soften the decal and use your fingernail to scrape it off.

The FPR will damage the windshield and it can damage the paint if you put too much on.

When I use it I keep a wet washcloth near by and apply the FPR with a cotton swab, dabbing it on and then immediatly wiping it with the water soaked washcloth. I take my time and do only small areas at a time.

There are folks here with WAY more experience than I and they may have much better and clearer advice than I can give you
so I would see what they have to say also.

Once again, :thumb:

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Be very careful with acetone (fingernail polish remover).

I also wanted a white GT2 EVO but didn't want to pay the ridulous prices. So I picked up the #98 GT2 and removed the decals. The #98 GT2 is the best canidate for the conversion because it is so close to the GT2 EVO.

I used actone and applied it with a Q-tip to the painted metal parts only. It was a long process, several hours. I only did a small part of the car at a time being careful not to get any acetone on any of the plastic. After I applied the actone to dislove the decal I immediatly took a damp cloth to clean the area, then I re-applied the actone to further clean the area.

For me the windshield decal came off very easily with no effort. I was able to just peel it off after light scraping it with my fingernail.

Do not use actone on the rear spoiler, it will melt. I still haven't done this part yet. I haven't found a safe way to remove those 3 decals yet.

Before

After. (I think everyone's seen this by now. ;-) ) ps. I had to use Photoshop to remove the decal off the rear spoiler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you :mrgreen:

I used the FPR and it worked for me fine. I did get a little worried as the car began to build up a haze while applying it...so what do I do after going into panic mode, I applied more FPR :sm: I guess it was my lucky day as the shine of the model slowly began to reappear. :knutkck:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome Dave. :thumb:
Be sure to post some before and after pics if you can, and if you attempt this mod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought I would chip in here. I've tried finger nail polish remover to get the tampo decals off and had horrific results, essentially turning the car into a spare parter only. Tried various waxes and paint scratch remover/polish with no effect.

Tried undiluted rubbing alchol - this is easier to work with than FNP but will still cook your paint if you rub too hard with it.

The thing that worked the best for me? TOOTHPASTE! Yep, toothpaste. Recently I acquired a 1/20 Tamiya Collectors Club Benetton B 193 of Michael Schumacher. It had the cheesy non tobac decals all over it, some were water slide decals some tampo. The decals are easy enough to scratch off after using a little Micro-Sol. The tampos were a mystery - as I've said I have not had much luck removing them. Tried a little bit of toothpaste on a damp paper towel as an experiment - and WOW! With some rubbing it strips the tampo layer right off and leaves the paint underneath untouched! Couldn't believe it!

It worked for me on this diecast, haven't tried it on another yet, but thought someone else might benefit and save themselves some work by giving it a go! :yahoo

·
Registered
764 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
The key bit of information that always seems to be left out is that it is non-acetone nail polish remover that is required. Acetone will eat through almost any finish!
The non-acetone stuff can still damage some paints so always test first!
The "goo-gone", "goof-off" and other similar products can also damage paint.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just noticed this thread is more than 4 years old. I hope he got the decals off without damage (or maybe that's why he hasn't returned) :giggle

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well...now that this topic is alive...

I´m planning to remove the white stripe of an FXX Elite that has been ordered, but I have been told that the rear flaps or aero elements are plastic, How do you remove tampos from a plastic surface?

·
Registered
2020 BMW M2 Competition
92 Posts
If you plan to remove small decals, like the emblems, Scotch Magic tape would also work. I accidentally removed a decal off of my Lexus GS400 model during a cleaning process.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could also try eucalyptus oil as well, I know it works well for removing residue left on road cars when you take the badges off and it doesnt damage the paint in any way so I assume it could work with models as well..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts