DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post in this entire forum and I am glad to have found a community of diecast lovers. I hope to learn as much as I can and collect as many as my budget allows.

On some of my older models I have a lot of dust stuck onto the windshield from the inside. I tried a can of compressed air, but there are still some stubborn particles left. How do you guys tackle this problem? I tried to use a cotton swab but there just isnt any room for maneuvering around. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
First of all welcome aboard!

Luckily since I made some large cabinets for my collection my models have remained dust free. However, I have had the problem you describe in the past. If the model was big enough I tended to try using a make up brush to dust from inside, but I did knock a rear view mirror off one car doing this which was annoying!

I think the best way I found to clean the inside screen was using a chamois cloth and one finger, but it wasn't always possible to clean the whole screen. :cheers

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
Hi Eddwin and welcome to DX :cheers

I think that Ronan covered the methods that I know of. The only other thing I have tried is using a piece of electrical wire instead of my fat finger :giggle

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Welcome to DX! :cheers I would also suggest a small make-up brush. You can go to WM or a drugstore and buy the cheap one that come several to a case. The GMP kit comes with some, so that is where I got the idea and they work for me.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome! :cheers

I also have this same problem and I use a paper tower, with the end folded into a trianlge shape and wipe inside the windshield area. Make sure you fold the towel so that its long enough for it to reach the other side of the windshield though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome aboard and glad to have you :cheers

Sometimes dust can harden and when that happens, simply wiping it will not suffice.

I dust my models daily, however, last year all of my models needed to be polished as they had a layer of dust built up on them. I believe it was due to the constant dust just being pushed around on the models instead of being brushed off the models.

Either way the models surface was rough and dull. After applying some polish, it was like they were new again.

If all else fails, you can take the model apart to clean, extreme, but it may be a alternative as the last result.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thank you everyone for the warm welcome and your suggestions. I will try all that has been mentioned and hopefully succeed!

Thanks again all!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Greetings, Eddwin.
to DX. :cheers

What Al have said, a small make-up brush work wonders - less chance of scratching delicate surfaces. And for stubborn layers, I would suggest using q-tip with a light wax application. That ought to rid build up from nooks and crannies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi im new here and this is gonna be my first post. Firstly I am glad I stumbled upon this forum, its good to see that there is a whole community of diescast nuts which I hope to gain a lot from. I used to collect as diecast models as a boy, but for some reason or another I stopped. Seems now that I have started again.

In regards to the problem of cleaning dust from the inside of the windscreen, one method I read about was to brush the outside of the windscreen over and over eventually building up a static charge, then dragging the brush over to the edge and off, it should pull most of the dust from the inside.

see here:
http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/...nuts.041002.asp

Hope this helps :giggle

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
This thread is a good argument for diecast makers to put 'glass' in all the windows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.