DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
So I hear it is good to get Scalecoat 2 Washaway paint remover. And Sir Gary has helped me with this last night. Get Non Acetone NPR. But one quick question. Is that the brand name or what it is? Also does Goo Gone, or WD40 work? Those 2 were the only one's I could find here at some local stores. And Sir Gary has given me good advice about how to go about this. Dip earswabs in the liquid and rub on tampos until loosened and remove with rag or something. And be careful not to get any of the liquid on plasctis. Or something like this. Is there anything else I need to know. I did alot of research on here but could not find much. Thanks for answering my questions. By the way, thanks for the advice Sir Gary.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Non-Acetone NPR is the name of the remover, there are several brands out there , but they all work the same. I've never used WD-40 , but have used Goo-Gone . I mainly use GG to remove sticker residue, it really isn't as strong as the NANPR . It might worth your time to practice on a "junk" car or even a Hot Wheels car. Be careful around certian edges of the car, where the paint might be thinner then the rest of the car.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Dont get WD 40 near your car. Its a neutral solution but you really never know what effect it will have on the paint if it seeps into a minute paint blister. I have used turtle wax to get back the shine after removing the tampos with NA-NPR.

G

·
Depending on the model manufacturer, N-A NPR works on some, while laq thinr works on others and yet methyl hydrate on others(usually tampos on some plastics, but still needing extreme caution).

I've used the NPR on my Action Paul Tracy(metal portion) and MH on the plastic sidepods. I've used laq th on both Hot Wheels 333SP's and amisto LMR's.

Oh yeah, fine cut polish works well in taking off tampos on windows. :cheers

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will be removing the tampos of the Maisto Porsche GT1 98. So hopefully Goo Gone will work on that. But do I have the steps down right?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this Non-Acetone NPR. I didn't think NPR was nail polish remover!!!! This is the right stuff right?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats not it. I bought the liquid type and already started on my project and its looking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm already half way done with my Mercedes.

G

·
mwrmt, what is "fine cut polish" and which do you use? Is it hobby product like Tamiya polishing compound? Auto product like Meguiar Fine-Cut Cleaner or Plastx clear plastic cleaner/polisher. Or something like general purpose Novus plastic polish? I've also seen Floquil Easy Lift Off remover at hobby shop, anyone know if this is similar to Scalecoat II remover and safe for plastic windshield? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts