DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title indicates, I'm interested in removing the driver from a 1:18-scale HotWheels Ferrari F1 model. In its place I want to have just the empty cockpit.

Has anyone done this succesfully and can offer advice? (I'm a novice at modding.) Any tips or feedback would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Don't offer it a contract for next season, and he'll vacate the seat in an instant!

:giggle

Sorry, couldn't help it. Afraid I can't help you on this one, don't collect single seaters. Have you looked over the car to see if there are screws that can take the body/bodywork apart? Biggest issue I see after removing the driver is the lack of detail and seat belt/shoulder harness in the seat. Can be overcome with transkits, however.

Welcome to the world of modding 1/18 scale diecast.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
As Jim has said, there should be screws holding it together from the bottom. I've never had a single seater, but I would think they are similiar to other 1:18ths. Be careful if you are going to disassemble it and come to a part that doesn't want to yield. Hot Wheels likes to hide assembly screws under a piece that is sticky-glued or popped into place. Hot Wheels doesn't often use super glue but they use an adhesive that remains pliable. It's not difficult to get pieces glued on with this stuff apart with some patience, but it makes re-assembly a challenge. Good Luck!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drivers aren't screwed in, you've got to take the car apart to remove the driver though. The driver is glued/heat-melted into the seat at the mount point. So rather than just having a hole there, you're going to have a blemish you'll have to fix as well. I've done this on a few Hot Wheels Ferraris, so if you have any other questions, fire away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts