DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my little Renault Alpine, all dressed up with no place to go. . . :giggle Since experimenting with black-washing after Al's encouraging it so many times, it's addictive. I tried to black-wash my wife the other day but she got away from me. . . I used black-washing on the wheels and engine parts. This really brings out detail in these pieces even though you can't see the engine very well. . .

Entire album, before & after can be seen here: Renault Alpine

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Luc! The yellow fog light is an easy mod, but does involve removing the lights from the front. I cut off the heated tabs, popped them out, pulled the lenses out of the housings and then tinted the back of the lenses with Testors Turn signal amber, without mixing it up first. This gives you the translucent look. I didn't follow my own "test the fit" rule and the engine cover won't close all the way because my scratch-built distributor is in the way. . . :giggle

G

·
That's a nice piece of work on that model Eddie. You do work magic on your
models to make them look like real ones. :nicejob :nicejob Is there any way to
redo the distributor or to move it down so your hood will close all the way?

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I'm lovin' that model more and more Eddie! The black wash made the parts look so much more real-world.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Great job Eddie! I need to do some of that to mine! You are right about the black-wash! I go through the stuff like it's water! and you can't just do one model.
Some Wellys and Yat-Mings come alive with the stuff!

Q. Are the coil wires made from telephone wire?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Al, what I use most of the time is wire from a broken mouse. I find one at work, or a thrift store, cut off the plug and the mouse part, strip off the outer sheath and you've got at least four strands of different colored wire in there that is just the right diameter for spark plug wire. One of them is usually white, but it's easily painted with some semi-gloss black acrylic. A mouse will give you enough wire to do about 8 average cars. . .

I started using black-wash on the 300-SLR I did for Felix, and I've used it on everything since except the Talladega. Detail will pop right out. I wish I'd have started using it years ago, and I might have to go back and do it to some of my old ones. . .

G

·
another great job Eddie on my all time fav Renault, in fact the only renault :giggle
love the amber light detail :nicejob
how much time do you spend as an average on your mods? :cheers

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what Al uses Jeff, but I use the old little bottle of Testor's flat black paint. One brush daub in a little plastic lid and thinned down with about 15 drops of thinner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts