DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Wow, after all these years... that's very sad. How many centuries before people can move back into the region. One heck of a junk yard though... :scared

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Thanks for that post MB. I've only quickly skimmed through the first 6 pages. Chernobyl is now hauntingly eerie. I recall when the catastrophe happened and the people concrete encased the reactor.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Very interesting indeed. So sad how so many generations will pay for the mistakes of a few.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
StygianMax said:
Thanks for that post MB. I've only quickly skimmed through the first 6 pages. Chernobyl is now hauntingly eerie. I recall when the catastrophe happened and the people concrete encased the reactor.
:iagree It is a scary place, a "nuclear desert". What an awful thought. I remember when it happend too, our biology teacher in school (a tremendously ugly woman I seem to remember!!!) told us all about it the day after it happened and what the consequences would be.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
:iagree I weas in my teens when it happened and I could not believe when they were saying that the damage was forever.
It was a scary thought.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
*BUMP* With so many new members, I felt that this topic needed to be bumped. There have been several posting about it on DX as part of another topic.

Here is a direct link as I don't think the one above still works:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Wow awesome great, that must be one heck of a ride. There was a show on the History Channel I believe, that showed what the earth would be like, if the humans left, pretty amazing how fast everything goes back to wilderness.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I read the whole thing and I loved seeing so many parts I was captured by in Call of Duty 4. The game really looks like the real thing! I have just finished Call of Duty 4 on Veteran difficulty and the mission "One shoot, One kill" had me stuck in the town of Chernobyl for several hours.
There are so many things that I recognized immediately in these photos.

It's weird as it has a kind of "end of the world" beauty to it and I absolutely loved the levels that took place in Chernobyl.

That said, I would NEVER take the chance of actually visiting that place, never!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Thanks for bumping this one Al! I really enjoyed reading through the whole lot again. A shocking failure in design and of the soviet system where secrecy and covering up was more important than the lives of the ordinary people.

Like Thorst I too recognised lots of landmarks from Pripyat from Call of Duty 4, the authors of that game really did their homework. :cheers

G

·
I still enjoy that website today as much as I did when it was originally posted. I think she did a great job telling the story of it all.

·
Registered
764 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Her other site telling some of the story of the battle for Kiev in WWII is pretty interesting too!

PS: for those who don't know her story the kiddofspeed site was one of the most visited sites on the 'net in 2004 but she came under attack from people questioning everything from had she really been there on a bike to what her motives were in posting about it. There are some pretty good arguments supporting the view that her story is a fabrication.

Here's a link to a picture of Elena Filatova:

Edit: never mind the link - didn't realize that a tinyurl would get the DX Rocks treatment.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts