DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well ,looks like nobody showed these 2 yet.

Just a couple of weeks ago ,DeAgostini launched a magazine called "Legendary Cars" in Romania.
This Legendary Cars magazine line is well known in other european countries like Italy ,Russia ,Poland. They offer historic cars info in the magazine ,each number concentrates on one car (offering history ,specs ,build info etc) as well as a 1:43 scaled miniature made by IST Models.

I bought the first 2 numbers ,both featuring the 2 iconic cars in Romania in the communism era.

The Dacia 1300 (mainly a Renault 12 but integrally build in Romania) and the ARO 240 ,Romania's answer to a 4x4 back in the '60s.

Priced at about 6 euros (about $8) here ,these are a huge bang for the buck.

Enjoy the pics:

Dacia 1300

ARO 240

And here's how they stack up against my 1:1 siblings from PMA.

·
Premium Member
12,931 Posts
The Dacia is nice, something new to me, I think. I love the variety of 43.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I would love both in 1/18!

That same Aro 240 was to be sold in the US under the name Crosslander not too long ago. Pretty rugged platform, too bad the factory/brand doesn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well ,for the Dacia ,there is solido's Renailt 12 L in 1:18 scale.
And yes ,i'd love the ARO in 1:18.

They where also made in Portugal (Called Portaro) and Spain (Hisparo) ,same rugged platform as the original Aro ,but they shoved all sorts of engines in them (from Fiat ,Renault ,Citroen etc).

·
Premium Member
12,931 Posts
Thanks, I checked a few out, may add one soon. I like it!

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
There is a collector at S143 that has been getting this set. It looks like a good one. Always interesting to see these types of cars as most were never in the states.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
They certainly look very good!
DeAgostini run some very good series.....I recently got a couple of the 'Warbirds' series -excellent IMO...

How many 'Legendary Cars' will there be??

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunno exactly ,but about 60 models (numbers) will be released in Romania :) Including some Volga ,Gaz, Trabant ,Lada...mainly comunism/soviet block cars.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
That is neat. My brother has an ARO back in the 70's and I remember riding in it. It was made in Bazil but assembled in Nicaragua. It was very underpowered and got stuck a lot.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha
cool story.
Tho i see that overseas models where pretty bad. In 1972 ,a british magazine gathered about 25 4x4s like Lada Niva ,Range Rover and so on ,including the romanian Aro 240 ,and guess what: the Aro came 2nd

We had no probs with them here ,rarely got stuck ,it had good ground clearance ,power was enough ,romanian versions had a 2.4L petrol engine had 68hp and the later diesel 2.7L had 87hp, bare in mind that in other countries where ARO was manufactured ,they had a wider selection of engines ,like the italian VM Motori 2.5L turbodiesel engine ,101hp ,or the 4.0 V6 Cosworth petrol engine with 207bhp

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what i found on Romanian ARO Forum:

Hi folks!

My name is Roberto Nogueira, and I live in São Paulo, Brazil.
I’m owner of an Aro 244, assembled in 2003, here in Brazil in a CKD program, basically using a local International diesel engine and a local Eaton transmission, and the other parts imported from Romania.
Here in Brazil the local name for the Aro 244 was Cross Lander 244, and the main objective to build this plant here is to export the assembled cars to United States, but as all you know, the project fail in the first moment because our local International diesel engine was reproved in pollution tests on USA, and in a second moment because the Romanian factory financial problems.
Unfortunately only a few units was build and sold here in Brazil (the dealer talk about more than 600 unities, but I think that no more than 200 are really running here). They start building cars on 2002 (a few ones) and the last ones was sold on 2004 (I think some of then as 2005 model, but without new improvements).
The local manufacturer website is already available, you can take a look on it, go to http://www.crosslanderbr.com.br/ .
Here, the great appeal to our local 244 is the International diesel engine; it’s a 2.8 liter, provided with a turbo compressor and intercooler, with 132 hp, and 32 kg of torque rate.
As we live in a very large country, the high autonomy is a great differential, and for example I already drive more than 1000 km with my 244 without refuel.
This engine and transmission was also used by another manufactures, mainly Ford (one of the biggest on Brazil) on their Pickups, and so, 244 owners can buy parts on any Ford dealer, for example.
If you like, I can write more about my country and my off road trips along it, and post a lot of pictures too.
Well, I think that’s a lot for my first message, and sorry by the bad English (here in Brazil we speak Portuguese), if anything isn’t clear, please let me know, I can try to explain better…
Tho he's talking about a 2003 244 model. It had quite a good engine ,2.8 6 cyl turbodiesel with 132hp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts