DiecastXchange Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Can a model have simply no faults? If there isn't such a model, the AA Porsche 959 is very close. When i took the time to take this pictures i started to think of any faults i could point out in my usual mini review, but i could not think of one. Maybe the front trunk could have some more detail? The rest of the model i have no complains. Beautiful engine details with decals, the exterior is perfect, the wheels too. The interior have 3D gauges that look real, the seats are textured and coloured. Cloth seatbelts. My 3rd favorite car of the 80's made almost perfect. Oh those good old days...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree, the model gets better the closer you look, little mesh inserts in the right places, engine bay decals, great brakes. The engine bay finish should be more of a champagne colour rather than silver, but that's about the only thing that stands out to me as being not quite right.

·
Administrator
33,294 Posts
It's a shame that AutoArt didn't make the Sport version of the 959 too. That would have been cool!

:love::love::love:

It's a great model from them though!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I agree, the model gets better the closer you look, little mesh inserts in the right places, engine bay decals, great brakes. The engine bay finish should be more of a champagne colour rather than silver, but that's about the only thing that stands out to me as being not quite right.
Spot on. And it would be an easy fix(for them).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Autoart Audi Quattro 1988. For some reason, it's not as good as others AA Milennium of the same period. It has some good details though, like chrome photo etched emblems, Quattro inscription on rear window, chrome detail on door handles and beautiful paint finish. And a very solid feel overall. One of the most important cars of the last 40 years, so it was a must have in my collection.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
The first of my small 1/12 scale section of the collection, Minichamps Mclaren F1 in dark blue. I call it a controversial model this one, at least to me. One of the most important supercars of all time, i had to have it in 1/12, but unfortunately, only Minichamps made this with full access. Well, one thing that is curious is that this model has some details that are worst than the 1/18 version, and it's somewhat disappointing that a car this important received this little attention from Minichamps, specially in the bigger scale.

I will list some of the low points of the model:

• The biggest sin by far is the lack of carpeting in the interior. This is a big one, it makes the model feels so cheap, and in fact it is not cheap. 300+ for a scale model is never cheap, even in 1/12 scale.
  • The doors don't stay up, don't have any struts. And it's not like they just won't hold up, they are completely void of any resistance. Like a residence door. Horrible.
  • Poor engine details and plasticly looking exhaust system.
  • The paintwork is not shiny enough.
  • The side trunks are ridiculously shallow compared to the real car.
  • Small side mirrors.
  • Poor headlights; if the real car are not good, they made it worst.
  • The carbon fiber bits are made worst than the 1/18 version.

Well, it's not all bad (old)news, since the model have some positives, like the (really)great looking wheels, tires and brake system, the exterior has a very good stance and proportions, the front trunk is reasonable detailed, as is the interior. The battery detail and fuse box on the left side is something even the Autoart version lacks. Oh, and those brown seatbelts look amazing.

Overall, for those who don't know the model, i can say that this model is not worth the price at all. To me, i bought it more for the importance of the real car and the exterior appearance. If you must have one, go for the silver, i think it looks a bit more special.
After revisiting the model and the pics for this review, it seems to me that just a bit more attention to detail it would make this a really incredible model.
In the end, it makes a nice display next to the others 1/12 supercars.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts