DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at my Kyosho Daytona yesterday and was shocked to see this. The right rear suspension seems to have sagged. I know it's a heavy model but it shouldn't result in this. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't know how I'm going to repair this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is from the first production run. It's been sitting in a display case. I guess this answers the question whether the model's weight have any affect on the model itself over the long run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None at all Felix. I see springs there but I can't compress it at all on neither the good nor the bad side. Does this thing supposed to have workable suspension? There's nothing bent as far as I can tell but the spring on the sagging side looks to be more compressed than the good side. I'll have to take it apart when I have some time and enough patience. I just don't know how it can get that way just sitting there untouched. :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible that someone in your household dropped the Daytona without letting you know? :confused

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
I just took a look at mine, and mine seems to be alright. Note that I purchased mine not too long ago (5-6 months ago) and it's been in the box since then...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It looks like the front is sagging worse than the rear. If it is a weight issue bending one of the suspension pieces, and it has working suspension and there is enough room between the springs and the spring mounting pins, you could cut the right size aluminum or plastic tube and slip it over the pin that the springs ride on and that would carry the weight and not allow it to sag. The suspension would no longer work, but it would keep the ride height correct on all 4 corners. . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the idea Eddie. That is what I will try and do. I'm not really a big fan of working suspension on these models. Rolling wheels is good enough for me.

Chris - I'm pretty sure the models hasn't been touched.

The topic of displaying models slightly raised so that the wheels do not touch to prevent this very sort of thing was discussed before. I'm going to check my other heavy models. The Minichamps M3 GTR's come to mind. Those are probably the heaviest I have.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
When I read this I got worried and just checked mine (with a ruler): the headlights' corners are at the exact same height.

Tom, was, by any chance, the car kept in storage for a long time? I don't remeber if the Competizione comes in the regular see-through box or if it comes in the styrofoam one. In the styrofoam the wheel could have been compressed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I got one just last month and it's fine. The car has a working rear susoension but it is so stiff that I can't imagine how it could sag from just the weight of the car. :confused

LUW- it comes in the typical see-through box but it is mounted on a platform so the wheels take no weight in storage.

My guess is there is either a broken suspension part, likely the lower mounting point of the strut, or a production error. :confused

Good luck, let us know the problem when you fimd it.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
If I'm correct, left front spring compresses more on the banking at Daytona, so you need more travel to make sure the chassis doesn't bottom out. Maybe yours is right, and the rest of ours are wrong?

Mine has a pretty flexible front setup, but the rear springs are pretty stiff and barely compress any. Does sit pretty much level, though. One would think that an adjustment is available, however I haven't had one of these apart (as I have other AutoArt, UT, Kyosho, et al), so not sure about the details.

Good Luck!

:badidea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was never in storage. I displayed it in the case since day one so it's been over 1 1/2 year that it's been sitting on it's own weight. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and see if anything is bent. I hate messing around with a model that's hard to replace. :scared

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that's fairly bad

looks like some sort of production fault, you flipped the car over and see if everything near the front is "symetrical", if something that loks bent thats not supposed to be , i guess that's the cause of the problem

hope you can fix it :cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts