DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rare set of 1/24 scale Nascar-related decals, that I want to make a 1/18 sale model using them. I need someone who will scan, enlarge, and then print the image on decal paper for me.

If you know anyone who can, or if you have that ability, please let me know. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee.

Thanks!

:cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ibj40,
Hi,
i started a project awhile back where by i was going to enlarge a set of rare Renaissance decal set from 1;24th to 1;18th.
I only got as far as finding the clear decal sheets at a hobby store and then figuring out how big if an enlarging do i need.I think it came to 1.33 x or something like that.
I ran a few "tests" at a local Kinkos copis place and after a few wasted sheets i had a nice set of decals.I never however got around using it,and now i pretty much just collect.
I can tell you that it willl take a few tries to get colors and settings right,especially if the crew at Kinkos is clueless.Also,they didint offer assistance as thay thought it was copywrighted material.
One more thing is make sure you get the paper set right in their "industrial" copyer,they are pretty serious ,as far as set up.Take your time,they are user friendly though.
good luck brother,
Madhun
ps:clear sheets are at most hobby shops.also,the ink settings could be off at some places,as i really had to fiddle to get the "blacks" black.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I think the biggest problem you might run into is finding a print shop that has a printer with white ink. I know my local Kinkos doesn't. There is only one printer that was available to mass markets that I know of that prints white. It's an Alps MD-5000. There may be others, but this one was the only one produced in high numbers at an affordable price. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued for years. If you can find one on eBay, they go for about $1500!!! Even the ink cartridges can cost major coin!!!

If the model you are going to use is white, then you won't have a problem.

The other alternative is to buy white decal paper to have the decals printed on. This has it's own problems too, especially if there is white lettering with no background and you have to be really carefull when cutting then out to be sure you trim all the white decal sheet off the printed area. You might be best off using both clear and white decal sheets depending on the sponsor decal.

If you like, I can scan and enlarge the pics and send the enlarged file back as well as the original decal sheet. I just don't have a local resource that can print them.

Let me know!

Sean

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am going with Sean on this one. One can print out their own decals with (usually) good results, but it almost always takes a combination of clear decal paper and white decal paper. If your body color is dark, decals on clear paper are going to wash out, because ink jet printer ink is just not strong enough to stand out. If you are going to use the decal paper with a spray-on fixative, too much fixative will cause the ink to bleed and ruin the decals, and not enough will result in the ink bleeding in the water when you soak the decal, or come off on what ever cloth you are using to blot the decals once they are on the body. If I need two of a decal, I usually make 6, just to be safe.

It's touch and go, but it can be done. . .

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I have one of those kits where you can make your own decals from Testors. I have yet to use it though. It is for use with a bubble or ink jet printer. This requires that you spray a clearcoat over decals after they are printed. The one time I had made my own decals, I took it to Kinkos to print on one of thier laser printers. This doesn't require the clearcoat.

There are two types of decal paper available, one for bubble/ink jet and one for laser printers. Make sure you get the right kind.

I made the decals for the carbon fiber exhaust cans on a Tamiya plastic kit I built a while back. The 1:1 had two different colors of carbon fiber in a triangle shaped pattern. On this one, there was no white to be printed so it wasn't a big deal.

Sean

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've done a couple of 1/24 to 1/18 decal sheets . I usually test print it on a regular piece of paper to get the size right before printing on the decal sheets.
I sort of found a way to print white decals(lettering, etc) . I take white decal paper & surround the text (main subject of decal) with the color of the car I'm putting the decal on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. I have 1/24 scale decals that I need to resize to 1/18 for 3 project cars I'm working on. Can anyone tell me how it's done exactly, step for step? I don't have the actual decals sheets in question, only scans. I may be able to get the actual sheets though. I also would like to know how to create custom decals from scratch for race car drivers' cars that aren't currently produced? I am from Keokuk,IA and there were many talented drivers from my hometown who made a name for themselves in racing. Dick Hutcherson, who raced IMCA, USAC, NASCAR Grand National and also at LeMans. Don White who raced IMCA and was a two-time USAC stock car champ, Ramo Stott who raced IMCA, USAC and NASCAR and was on the pole for the historic 1976 Daytona 500, and Ernie Derr, many-time IMCA champ. I am working on Don White's 1963 Ford Galaxie USAC car and also his 1966 Dodge Charger USAC car. I am also doing Ernie Derr's 1969 IMCA Dodge Charger. I know these guys and I want to get these projects finished so I can share them with the guys before they are no longer with us. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and great site!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.