DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is here someone who makes his own model cars? i saw the Silvestri's Bmw and the Lancia Thema project

do you have pictures from a build? or what materials you use?

i really want to have a Lambo LM 002 in my collection, so i decided to make one from scratch...fully opened and so

but , it cost many time and the progress is really slow...and i dont know which year to make

i prefer the 1988 version

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've wished for years for the Lamborghini LM002 to be replicated in 1:18 scale as well. Hopefully, AUTOart will do it at some point but I wouldn't bet money on it. I guess our best best would to be to have one made out of resin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, resin would be the best choice
I tried to make my own model out of resin
But the master model it came from another 1:18 scaled model
The model I used is based from welly's Range Rover
It didn't turn out good haha

Since Lamborghini LM002 is quite boxy, maybe you could make it using tamiya's plaplate
But if you insist using resin, you should consider to make the master model
3D printing maybe?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have some good experiences with a pre-shape made from modeling clay - its good, you can made just with your hands any shape
than i make a one-use gypsum form (you must just watch the slight increase temperature in the gypsum, cause warm and modeling clay is not a good combination), ill take the clay out from the form, press the Milliput in the shape and when its hard, destroy the gypsum form and clean the master
than sanding, and cleaning a and (for multiple parts) a form from sillicone

milliput is limited to simple shaped parts, multispoke wheels i cant do, because i cant press it in the complicated form
and i use for clear parts (ligts, smaller windows) "liquid glass", a 2 component liqiud "stuff" :D like resin, good for multispokes and so

and for support parts (bigger parts, support monocoque) i used epoxide glue...its very hard and sticks not to the sillicone

but i dont know from what i have made rubber tires...i think about black sillicone pressed in a hard form

i never used resin

i had a problem with the tires on the LM002 :D...and i found almost the same sized back tires on my Ertl Ford 32 street rod :D :D :D...they dont have the Pirelli Scorpio pattern, but who cares? :D...so i "just" need to copy them :D

and then just make the support frame, body, opening parts, interior, a little bit of engine (a Bbugaro Countach must be enough), color the whole car, windows, small parts....:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
well ofcorse you can also try making a 3d design, then everything will come out perfect ad you can get it printed, thats ho i make my stuff, i could do it but i don't have enought time, only weekends if at all. And my first car that i will scratch design will be a 2009 Subaru imprza WRX. But you can also try using a hummer and putty it to the way you want it. that could work

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not good with computers...the whole life im doin all model stuff with my fingers

u know what? with the H1 its a good idea :) maybe some frame elements i can copy and use

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
[sup]I am planning on making my own chevy S-10 pick up because no one makes them. I already make my own parts and wheels and tires. I'm just building the truck from scratch using flat styrene and then I'll make a mold of it, and reproduce them in resin. [/sup]

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I would love a LM002 as well. Autoart is rumored to be making one sometime soon. I thought of making one using plastic sheet as they are boxy looking.

Another one I would like is a Toyota FJ40!

And Corrupted, I would love to see the S-10 if you get around to making one!

I'll definitely be getting a 3-D printer if I win the lottery!

There are websites such as Ponoko.com where you can send in a design to be cut from plastic, metal or wood sheets or get 3-D printed. Could be an option for some of this work.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I've been keeping my eye on 3D printers for a few years now. I'm not going to get one until it can carry the detail down to 1:18 or even 1:24 scale, and when you can't see the layers at all. Alibre has a basic 3D printer for $1200.00 or so, but I'm not sure it has any capabilities or uses that I could take advantage of. When I get one it'll be a connex.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
[sup]I am planning on making my own chevy S-10 pick up because no one makes them. I already make my own parts and wheels and tires. I'm just building the truck from scratch using flat styrene and then I'll make a mold of it, and reproduce them in resin. [/sup]
There was a s-10 model by revell in 1/16 scale

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
[/quote]

I will have to look for one of those. Was it the older one or the rounded one?

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
[/quote]

I will have to look for one of those. Was it the older one or the rounded one?
[/quote]They made both... but I was wrong. They were Lindberg 1/20 models.It sucks getting old, I can't remember stuff! I think there was this one, the sport side rounded s10 and the round blazer. I think!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts