DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read with interest the recent comments about the sealed Autoart models and especially the DB9s.
Why are so many collectors against these types of models?
Is it simply because the price is the same as fully detailed models?
Do you display models with all the parts open usually?

Whilst I like models with opening parts, apart from unpacking them I rarely look 'inside' the model. My main concern is that the overall shape is properly and accurately rendered and that usually visiible parts, such as brakes and interior are of a good standard.
If it is a model I like the lack of an opening bonnet or doors causes few problems for me.

I am simply curious and want to see what others think and why you want the opening parts.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I collect 1:18 because I want to see detailed engines and interiors. If that isn't available then why collect 1:18? It's cheaper and easier to collect 1:43 then.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It's just my own personal opinion, but having a model that is sealed is like having a model that you open the hood and the engine bay is empty. I can still recall how crest-fallen I was when I got my Saleen S7 and when I was dismantling it found out it had no engine. Even a poorly done lump of something is better than nothing. I myself can't understand the appeal of a sealed or curbside model unless it is a car you really like and there is virtually no other company that makes it. If I had to choose between a sealed Autoart, or a Maisto with an engine, I would pick the Maisto every time. . . Just my :mine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If AUTOart is going to sell curbside models, then they should sell them at a lower price point. It could be their budget line. I guess I'm the opposite of Cobalt, if I had to choose between a sealed model that has the exterior detail of an AUTOart or a Maisto, I'd go for the sealed AUTOart... that is if they are at the same price point. I will not, however, buy a sealed model for $80. That's highway robbery.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I buy a model, I look for functionality. If a car has the ability to have opening parts it takes a lot more engineering to design than one that doesnt have opening parts. Same with steering. It takes more work and parts to make a car with opening parts and steering. More materials should raise the cost, and conversely, less materials should decrease the cost of production. If AUTOart is charging the same amount for sealed and un-sealed models, then they are definately making money on sealed models. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
AUTOart or any other company should make a profit but not at the cost of the customer who has made them what they are now.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have no problem with sealed models, but I would expect them to be cheaper than models with opening parts and interior/enging details.

What I do have a problem with is these models being the same price as opening ones, and new releases of opening models becoming more expensive. If a price rise can be justified by engineering costs (ie more detail) then fine. If there is no discernable difference in quality or costs to produce the model then I think it's a little unfair to ask consumers to pay more.

Going a little OT, had anyone noticed how all manufacturers seem to be creeping towards the top end of the market? In previous years there was CMC and Exoto in 1:18. Now BBR are there too and Autoart are launching a line of premium models with the 787B. Minichamps Millenium line seems to be aimed at the higher end of the market too.

I really hope that someone like ERTL or Maisto decide to fill vacancies in the "middle market" by producing slightly higher quality models because I can see there being low and high end models with not much in the middle. That would be a really pitty too.

Sorry to go OT,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I collect both 1/43 and 1/18 models.
I don't mind that the small scales have no opening parts; in fact, when they have, the wide gaps and crude joints tend to spoil the overall effect, and the details themselves would have to be so tiny that, unless we're speaking of VERY expensive models (BBR, AMR, etc), they end up not being very accurate. This is one of the reasons why I never collected Formula 1's in this scale.
In 1/18, on the other hand, I expect to have as much functionality as possible. This is the main reason why I collect them as well, together of course with the greater level of detail that they normally feature.
Yes, I display my models with doors and hoods closed but - call me nuts - I also like to 'play' with them: for example, while at the PC, it's good to have a model on my desk in front of me, so that I can now and then open a door, take out the engine cover, etc. Is this serious, doctor? :danbana
For me, a 1/18 without opening parts is almost as bad as a 1/43 whose wheels don't turn (and unfortunately I have some of these :ranting).
Of course, if a model exists only in curbside (e.g. AUTOart's Bentley EXP Speed 8), there's nothing we can do about it but, as many of you have already said, in this case the price should be lower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with the original poster- the overall shape and stance are more important to me than opening parts. In some cases the opening part has ruined a model for me- I have multiple AAs that are just a bit "off" in how well the trunk or hood closes, and it really reduces the enjoyment of the car for me. I agree that they should be less $$ than the opening versions, but given a choice (with mild price adjustment), the sealed version is the way I'd go.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree with everyone about the fact that a sealed model should be cheaper. However, I don't display my models open. I like the fact that there is an engine and openable doors on a model, but it's certainly not a must for me, especially not if it's a model I really want.
About the price, I think that the sealed Bentleys (haven't really looked at the Skylines well) have such a high exterior detail (much higher than usual AUTOart). I think that added detail also adds to the price. Better exterior detail would have priority for me above openable doors and engine cover.

By the way, I will get the Aston Martin DBR9, and if they bring out both participating in Le Mans, I will get both :badidea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the responses to my original post. :cheers
Some good views for both sides of the discussion :happy
I think price does seem to be major factor and I have to agree that models are getting more expensive anyway.

There is also an interesting post on Scale18 about the new DBR9s with a reply one member got from Autoart on why they are sealed.

Andrew

·
Loves Cars
367 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree

I also agree with the statement made about Maisto going upmarket a bit. Oddly enough, to this day UT Models are still my favorite... followed closely by Minichamps, but that's beside the point (almost). The UT model range offerred a variety of well detailed, desirable models at a reasonable cost. Granted there were very few opening trunks, and some sealed hoods... and lots of hot glue, but they were really onto something!

Back to the Minichamps... I have no problem paying the going rate for them, as I feel when I buy a Minichamps, I know what to expect... the the price almost always mirrors the quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts