DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about how companies decide on which cars to build? I am pretty sure it has
some licensing procedure, that they have to get the manufacturer's permission to create the diecast. Other than that, Do they have to be exotic model? Best seller model? International model? or unique model?

I currently own a Mazda 3 hatchback and would love to own the diecast replica of the vehicle. Mazda's are not common to be made such as BMW's or Mercedes'.
I believe if the car companies produce more of the street models, their sales will increase. Who wouldn't want to have a 1:18 scale of their car?

Also some categories are not common, such as Vans. A well built Honda Odyysey, or Toyota Sienna might be a good addition to collections. To make things more exciting how about a Mercedes 403 bus, or a Volvo Bus.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Of course finacial considerations are very important (like licenses, complexity of the model, market interest, etc). But one thing I can guarantee you is that NO diecast brand ever asked what I or any other collector that I know what I/we wanted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I too would like to see more everyday vehicles, including work horses & emergency/utility vehicles.

I think manufacturers often look at what's 'hot' and what they think most people fantasized about: exotics.

Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches are cool, but it gets tiresome after a while. Filet mignon is good, no doubt, but once in a while you'd want some pizza too.

Can't really blame them for choosing such subjects though because these'll most likely sell than econoboxes and minivans.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Ertl (pre-RC) DID have a pretty good record of keeping in touch with what the collector of the time wanted. If a model got a pretty good following or response in their old forum, it was a 90%+ chance that it got made. Once RC entered the picture, egos and profits took a front seat and the collector got thrown in the trunk (not even in the back seat!) :giggle

Ertl is trying once again under the new leadership. I don't agree of how they are approaching it, but they are trying. They have run countless polls at the PUB and I see the '70 Monte Carlo, the Cougar Eliminator, the Torino Twister, the Impala SS as a result of those polls.

Also GMP, to a smaller, degree has done it. The up-and-coming fox-Mustang convertibles are a result.

But you are right, as a whole, I don't think that the diecast companies do enough "homework".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
currently own a Mazda 3 hatchback and would love to own the diecast replica of the vehicle. Mazda's are not common to be made such as BMW's or Mercedes'.
The Mazda 3 is already available , although Im unsure if its the same as your 1:1 version . Check the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-18-MAZDA-3_W0QQite...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are lots of considerations when producing a car , Licenses , development times , predicted market sales etc etc .
I cant really complain though as AUTOart has already done my daily driver , or at least my old one . Im happy :happy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Getter 3 said:
Can't really blame them for choosing such subjects [eotics] though because these'll most likely sell than econoboxes and minivans.
To take that one step further, it is also the fans of these cars that tend to be a bit obsessive, so you can make 50 different Porsches, Lambos, or Ferraris and there are alot of people that will need all 50, where as a Ford, Honda, and other fans will likely be really interested in only one or two cars (ie, I like the Mustang and Ford GT, but, I dont give a rats bum about a Taurus (unless it's an SHO!) or SUV).

So without the "rabbid" fans to buy them, it is really hard to make every 1/1 a company makes, and thus you get only the really "interesting" stuff that most manufactures make...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I also think that if a model has a rich racing heritage, proving to be the dominant force in racing for a period of time and won a champoinship or one of the world's biggest races (Le Mans, Indy, etc.) then that makes it appeal to a lot of people because not only is it a car, but it is a piece of history, and that intrigues people.

I just wish someone would release the dominant Peugeot 905 or maybe the Jaguar XJR-14 in 1:18, now THOSE cars were blisteringly quick. :cheers

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would only hope that some companies see what real cars get people excited. Supercars will always to this, and with so many older cars from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati, Lotus, etc..., that have not been made into diecasts, the list is very extensive on what to come out with. Plus you always have the newer supercars, that are in the pipeline. I for one would fall over in excitement, if a diecast manufacturer came out with small volume cars like a Noble M12 GTO 3R, Koenigsegg CCR and a B Engineering Edonis :happy . Since these are cars I'll pretty much never see, but would absolutely LOVE to have in my collection. Plus it wouldn't hurt to come out with some classics, like a BMW M1 Street (Wating :giggle ), or a Ferrari 275 GTB/4 (you hear me Exoto :giggle ). Only time will tell what the manufacturers will do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts