DiecastXchange Forum banner

"She just need a little work" Unrestored '67 Mustang *complete

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  boss4LIFE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have read this story thousands of times"

"For Sale, 1967 Mustang GT. Restoration started but lost interest. Lots of new parts, New driver door, trunk, new grill, steering wheel, brake booster and much more. Slight damage to the rear drive side from a minor accident, but pass side has been fixed. She runs, but smokes a little. Interior is all there but a little dirty from years of sitting and will need the seats redone. Wheels do not match and need to be replaced.
Make your own Eleanor or Bullitt. Best offer and will take interesting trades"

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
In reality, I got this Millenium Mustang as a contest gift from John (Custom Diecast). It was a parts car from John's junk pile so it was missing lots of parts. I had originally planned to "restore" it but I decided to make it a weathered car as the side scoop was missing and I could not match the metal finish.
I took it completely apart, added carpet, seat belts and ripped seats. I also added wires to the engine and detailed the engine. Then I bashed it up a little then I weathered the entire thing.
Since the driver side was missing the door panel, I made an interior door skin and made some tracks and a simulated window rolled down. The gas cap was replaced with a "*******" gas cap-and oily rag. The exhaust tips were hollowed out.
Mismatched wheels were added and weathered.

The front end was scratched made from aluminum as the one from this car will be used on another project.

Here is what is started:

#5 ·
You're right, it's a '67.

Here is the underside:

While I was there haggling with the owner, another guy pulled in wanting to have a look. :giggle

#9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Now, why would I want to be pointed out to a dealer that makes them, when I can clearly can make them myself for myself? :confused :confused :confused

I am well aware of Doc's great work at JYJ btw.

#8 ·
Dang, Al! Another sweet mod!!! Looks great!!

Sean

#12 ·
Here is the interior/engine/chassis

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks Ric! :cheers
Some of the cosmetic items are:
67s don't have side marker lights, 68's do.
67s have the twin lower side scoops, the 68s don't have the lower side scoop and the indention continues from the door.
The 67s have a (chrome) "bar" across the grill, 68s don't.
The '67s have a add-on look AC (like the 65-66) and the '68s have it in the dash.
Door panels and seats patterns are different.

Ertl did a pretty good job replicating the differences.

#17 ·
Thanks Bug! :cheers

Believe me, I have seen them. I have been (and lived) south of the border and it is mind-boggling how some vehicles are on the roads.

#18 ·
Superb job acisne :10 As Bugattitude said it must have taken more work to weather it than to restore it but the end result is astonishing :cheers

btw You really need to wash it :giggle

#20 ·
Actually, I have a Bullitt or two in my junk pile :giggle They were a dime-a-dozen at W-M a while back and the wheels were very popular in other cars.
Jammie, I was actually inspired by the Sunstar '71 Mustang that you did, so I did this one.

#24 ·
As the add says: "Slight damage to the rear drive side from a minor accident, but pass side has been fixed." :giggle

You can buy just a patch panel to replace rust or an accident. Typically, those panels come in primer or you primer them and spot weld them.
The model represent work that was started and not finished.
Here is what a 1:1 panel would look like for a Mustang (not this one in particular)

Attachments

#25 ·
Some one was asking if you could "dent" diecast. I used a ball-pin hammer to dent the rear 1/4 panel on this one.

#26 ·
THAT WAS MEEE!!!! Thank you Acisne for clearing that up
That stang looks so amazing

And i hope you dont mind 2 more questions:
How did you weather the model so realisticly, here is my attempt at making an unrestored model. Not so good

I did get some dents in with a hammer on the fender:

Also how did you make the road on that diorama too. Thanks again Acisne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.