DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to get one while they are readily available and glad I went when I did.
The only K B Toys around here had only a few left and only one in this color.
I just hope I don't end up seeing these at $15 a week from now :giggle (I paid $28)

This car is a great jump over the Yat Ming Cobra.
I have always understood that Yat Ming and Kyosho used the same mould with the Kyo having a bit better details.

The one thing that has always bothered me is the rear quaters of the YM/Kyo body were incorrect. Most 1:1 Kit cars have the same issue, its as the Cobra body is very difficult to reproduce. :confused

Most folks don't notice but to me it is like painting a mustach on the Mona Lisa so I have always been content with the YM for the $10 it costs Vs. the better detailed Kyo.

Finally, we have a better shaped 427 body! :yahoo
The back end is much more lifelike on the Shelby Collectibles 427, not perfect, but a whole lot better than what was available.
I had read elsewhere that this car was also using the YM mould but it is not the same at all.
Also gone is the 4x4 stance of the Kyo/YM cars. The Cobra is finally down on its tires like it is supposed to be.

Lots of neat details to this car including Fuel Lines in the trunk, realstic door latches in the interior, simulated rivets in the hood and electrical componets on the rear firewall.

The engine, while wired, is nothing to write home about and the chassis detail is pretty scarce. There is some moulded in details that will come alive with some detailing pens. The wheels are hardly better than the YM and I am not impressed by the soft plastic seats but will reserve judgement until I can get some semi gloss clear on them.

Also, thw tires do a nice job of filling in the wheelwells but look a bit "truckish" although they do have some nice GOODYEAR markings on them.

The paint is applied very well with no drips, runs or orange peel and is very smooth and with very good coverage.
Shut lines are very tight as is the rest of the assembly work.

The chrome is a little too bright (the wipers do have the wiper blade painted black) but for a car in this price range it is very well done.

My wife was with me at the store and I showed her the Shelby Collectibles version right next to the YM and even she was able to pick out the Shelby version as a much, much better model.

Yat Ming

In my opinion, this is the best Cobra to own, the Kyosho is more detailed but the shape, value and presentation of this Shelby Collectibles is the real winner in my book!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Jeff, what do you think about comparing it to the new release from Kyosho? Do you think it would score as high as with the old release?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
While I have not seen the new Kyosho in person I am sure the detail would be higher than on this one.
That being said, I can accept this level of detail for the price paid with a more accurate body shape a lot easier than I could accept paying twice as much for the higer detail but less accurate Kyosho.

I don't care how much detail a car has, if I cringe when I look at it on the shelf because of the shape being off, then it doesn't interest me.

At least when it comes to the 427 Cobra :giggle

G

·
Congrats Jeff.

It certainly is an improvement over the YM. Even at $28 it is still unbelievably cheap by UK standards and well worth picking up..

:cheers

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Congratulations, Jeff - that looks great!

G

·
Judging by the pics of the new Kyosho Cobra, they did modify the back end. It looks like the overhang is a bit longer and more pointed than the old and also has square tail lights. I just ordered it and should have it in a week. I hope I'm not disappointed. My only other Kyosho is their RX-7, which is far from accurate.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not so sure about that.
I have been trying to tell is they changed the quarters or just lowered the stance :confused

Please let us know once you get it :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I was under the impression that on the new one they did change the stance, but I'm not sure if the whole rear end was changed, ie, they used a completely new mold. If they didn't, it still will be a YM with carpet and nice engine.

G

·
Well, here is a pic from the auction that I won:

It looks different than the YM you posted, but I can't really tell if it's more accurate. Besides the back being different, the vent behind the front wheel is also different (it's now a cut out square with the vent being a separate piece fitted into it). So it does look like they made changes to the mold.

G

·
Oh , i'm gonna have to study my Yat Ming and Kyosho very hard tonight.
check out that back end :giggle
congrats Jeff..i've got to put this on the shopping list.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Congrats Jeff! :cheers

I saw these at KB toys outlet yesterday too, 28USD seemed a bit steep to me, so I didn't get it :help

I also saw the Shelby 350? I'm not too familiar with the cars, so I might have gotten the designation wrong :p

One thing I like on this Shelby one more than the Kyosho ones I've seen, is that there isn't the blank white circle on the blue version, which I find weird on the Kyosho :p

G

·

I really like the effort that this company has made on this car! For $28 it is a great deal. Way better fit and finish than Yat Ming, but maybe not as good as the twice as expensive Kyosho.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Yep...I will place and order too for the black with white stripes. :cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.