DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my second white Skyline R34 GT-R. the first was returned due to quality issues.
now what was wrong on the first one, is good on this one. but this one comes with other issues instead.

the exterior and interior is all good, but when you look at the engine bay, you will notice there is something off with the paint.

on the strut tower on drivers side, the paint has a different hue as if it didnt get covered fully with the body color.
on the reinforcement bar that goes across the bay, at the bonnet holder, there is a spot that looks patchy, also as if it didnt get full coverage of body color.
also on the reinforcement bar, there is an uneven layer of paint going along the edge.

it can be a little tricky to see in some photos, but sitting with the model in my hands and shifting the light/reflections it can be noticed straight away.
for a model that costs about 250€, it should not have this kind of problem.

·
Registered
671 Posts
A good friend once told me that if you stick a model up your ass, it should polish the paint over time to a perfect finish. You should give it a go.
Also... Its a toy. Get a life mate.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
R34 engine bays aren’t even painted irl so it’s nice that they did the upgrade on the model. I can’t see any defects I’ll have to check later with my analoscope

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Honestly Alex its a hit or miss with AA these days. I've seen good results and then we've seen some shoddy QA that should have never left the factory. We've all knit picked the content beyond what it is but if you feel that its shoddy then sell it or try to get a refund. I can say most of our models are never displayed with the hood up sooooooo are you going to be displaying it with the hood up?

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like i said, i couldnt really get a good shot with the camera, but having it in my hands it is rather easily noticed. the bonnet is in the way to get a proper shot. or maybe a video might be the best way to capture it.

it looks like the paint was applied too thick and started running. the tower strut looks like the base paint layer is showing, and didnt get pearl paint.
it isnt a matter of black and white obvious, it is white on white and a pain to capture.
but apart from the engine bay issue on this example, it is a 99.9% home run.

i have had it for a just over a week, thinking about keeping it, but every time i look at this, it just notice this straight away, so im going to return it.
i hate to pay lot of money to get something that looks like it was rushed the last bit. im not going to reward companies for this.

slightly bigger photo

full size photo

Honestly Alex its a hit or miss with AA these days. I've seen good results and then we've seen some shoddy QA that should have never left the factory. We've all knit picked the content beyond what it is but if you feel that its shoddy then sell it or try to get a refund. I can say most of our models are never displayed with the hood up sooooooo are you going to be displaying it with the hood up?
i tried to justify keeping it thinking about it just like that, but it is just a bit too much. i dont display with engines open, but i occasionally takes out a model and look at it. including the engine.

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sure i have had far worse than this, but there is a limit to what i can accept. there is a few other but minor things too i can find, but they are things i can deal with. this paint i cannot.
buying a quality product shouldnt be about luck. Autoart claims their products are quality, so naturally im going to hold them to this, especially as their prices has tripled over the years.
with that said, i never expect a 100.00% perfect model every time, but there are things i can live with, and things i cant, this is something i valuate individually with each model.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Hi Alex,

I can see the effect you are criticising - already in the second batch of photos. Looks to like too much clear coat at the front end of this bar doesn’t it?

As it is only inside the engine bay I wouldn’t be too much displeased.

One thing I had to learn by my collecting that there isn’t such thing like a perfect model. Especially higher end models include so much manual work that at very close inspection you will almost everytime find some flaws. Not necessarily right after unboxing but maybe even years later or on close up photos.

Personally I am meanwhile a bit more relaxed and accept minor flaws in case I really like the model. However if there are flaws that prevent me from enjoying the model (i.e. annoy me each time I look at the model) then I return or sell it. Regardless how rare or gorgeous the model itself may be. CMCs Pullman with the wrong ride height at the front wheels is a good example.

In your case here I would join some other here and advise to relax. But from your words above I conclude that this flaw spoils your joy of the model. If so you should get rid of it…

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
The last set of pics quite clearly shows the part has been hand painted and unfortunately there is a paint mismatch. My R34 from the mid 2000s has a plastic piece that will barely pass as that part that is so well replicated here. Aa does plonk in a lot of details these Nissan cars.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Everyone dismissing this is only allowing these companies to get away with more and more. So many complain about not getting opening models these days but you're okay with paint in the bay looking this bad? Very weird to me

·
Registered
355 Posts
Personally I wouldn not care that much and keep the car, especialy since returning a model is way too expensive for me, if that flaw is in the exterior I would be quite mad.
That said, I´m with you that we are paying 250 usd or euros for a model and that level is not acceptable, so it´s good that you post it and let us know so Autoart gets a bit more of reputation damage for their lack of quality.
I hope you can exchange it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts