DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...
I dunno if i am the first who post SLS AMG GTAutos model, but that's not important hahahaha...
My friend kind enough to lend me his models, there are two of them, red & white.

Pros:

- The model is heavy. If you hold them in your hands you'll feel that they're not cheap quality.
- The mold is nice.
- The shut lines quite tight.
- The front & rear light are in nice detail, you'll thinking there are diamonds in there :p
- The grills/meshes are all hollow.. except for inside front logo, it's solid.
- The photoetched parts are nice.
- The engine is simple, but the real one is simple too -,.-"
- The disc and brake calipers are cool.
- The rims are shiny but not cheap... but the tyre is ordinary.
- The doors open nicely... soft :)
- The interior is nice, with carpet.. but the carbon pattern is like chessboard :p
- The tiny prints on the interior are nice.
- The speedometer is very nice... i wish i could snap it better, but it's hard... maybe next time :)
- The details of undercarriage are very nice.
- The suspensions are working. Hmm what else?

Cons:

- The paint clear coat is somehow a bit white/cloud... not very clear. But it's subtle, u can polish it a bit.
- They are tiny2 glue residue here and there... but so tiny ;p
- The rear suspension is too high... but it's working suspension so u can lower it.
- What else??? i cannot think more cos too many Pros than Cons :p

So overall it's great model... it sure beat the hell out Maisto & Mondo version, and in term of details and proportion, it beat the Minichamps version. And i'm sure lots of people gonna be happy because the white one is more cool than Minichamps Museum Edition :p

Ok now, maybe you all wondering what is their little secret? ...just enjoy the pics and you will know later :)

*sorry for so many pics, i hope u all would be satisfied :p

Fiuuh are u satisfied? :p ...ok now here's their little secret:

Ring a bell?? ...curious? Surprise? LOL :p

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
So maybe CSM made this for Welly? The quality is indeed excellent. Thank God for the meshed vents and grilles!
Excellent fotos man! The red one is on my WL now.
Would love to get the white one, but I am not a fan of black wheels!

·
Administrator
33,850 Posts
They look smart, I didn't realise they were Welly (their GT line must be quite new) nice that the wheels can be removed. That aside I'm not a fan of the actual car, but do appreciate the details.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Geez, Welly is really taking their business seriously, which is great. So many new brands (and models) from them. Hope it continues this way. I though it was a Minichamps at first. Collectors have a range of different brands and budgets for this car. So no excuse not to have an SLS in your supercar collection :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
That looks quite good. They will also be making a SLS in Grey, as I've been told. Besides the SLS and the 5-series, GTauto's will also bring out an Toureg and a Pheaton.

What did this model cost you? If it's above 60 euro's I'm not sure if it can compete with the Minichamps. You can get the DE for 60 at a wide range of colours.
Is the white colour the same as the Mercedes Museum one by Minichamps, metallic white?

/me dreams away by the thought of an 1-series M Coupe by GTA

Edit: by saying it couldn't compete with the Minichamps, I meant they look quite the same (why pay more for the same quality?). So an applause for GTA / Welly!

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
The red SLS looks incredible. To an extent, even better than the PMA. No solid grille and metal (or metal like disc brakes) are a step up for sure. IMO, I still think the interior of the PMA better done. Maybe it is the carbon fiber texture that I don't like very much, but the red version has a pretty messy interior.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The red SLS looks incredible. To an extent, even better than the PMA. No solid grille and metal (or metal like disc brakes) are a step up for sure. IMO, I still think the interior of the PMA better done. Maybe it is the carbon fiber texture that I don't like very much, but the red version has a pretty messy interior.
Yeah maybe you're right... the interior is better on minichamps. Too bad i don't have the minich version, so i can't compare :) ...but still, this GTAutos overall details is better than minich version :)

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
wow...that looks great. The open grills up front make a huge difference. I've been tempted to pick up a higher detail SLS (have the Maisto)...hopefully this will hit the US.

Does it have a working suspension? if so, wonder if it can be lowered...as the red & white ones do ride very high. The stance on the Minichamps is awesome, IMO.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Awesome pictures and review! Thanks, complete believer in the GT line.. and the wheel adapter I think you're right on the manufacturer.... this means also that the aftermarket wheels available for the EVO CSM can fit on the SLS ;)

Gavin, he mentioned working suspension. So I wouldn't be worried about that if it can be compressed a bit.

The real main issue about this model is its accessibility to the market, or lack there of. Hopefully that changes soon.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I never knew this existed. The SLS AMG is the prime reason why I don't like Minichamps. They took lots of shortcuts on the SLS AMG. A car with such a huge mesh grille having solid grilles on a 1/18 model....coming from Minichamps? Stickers for the brake lights above the rear window? Bad mold flashes along the wheel wells? I didn't expect any of that from my Minichamps model. On mine, the "6.3" photoetch by the side grill is also slanted at ~20-degrees. Totally uncacceptable for a $110 model. The fact that Welly is able to provide open meshes for all of the grilles further makes you wonder whether collectors should take Minichamps seriously. As for the solid grille behind the Mercedes logo, this is accurate because having seen a couple videos of the SLS AMG, they appeared solid to me.

My original plan was to buy the Minichamps Porsche 2.7 RS after receiving the SLS AMG. I was really upset with their SLS AMG so I just decided to get Autoart's 2.7 RS.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
These are really tempting. I have the silver Minichamps SLS AMG because I bought it at a great price. I still think I like the interior better on that model, but the detail on these is equal to that of the Minichamps in many aspects and it surpasses the Minichamps in a few categories.

If I could sell my Minichamps at a price close to what I paid for it, I'd be tempted to pick one of these up. Still, I don't think I'll sell it, though, because it's still an excellent model with a lot of heft, and it's the classic silver with red interior color combination.

If this SLS AMG, the F10 BMW 5 Series, and the Aventador represent the quality we can expect from Welly in the future, well, the future of diecast collecting just got a bit brighter!

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Gavin, he mentioned working suspension. So I wouldn't be worried about that if it can be compressed a bit.

The real main issue about this model is its accessibility to the market, or lack there of. Hopefully that changes soon.
Thanks, man...was so excited to see the pics, that I completely blew past his pro/con list.

agree on your main issue...took forever for US retailers to get the Bentleys & I thought I read that neither the high-end version nor the Aventadors are going to make it to the US.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you for these wonderful photos!! I would like to upgrade my old mondo to this model if it is under 75 bucks and available in the US, but I have no idea if these are in the states, TO EBAY!!!
You're welcome :) i hope it would available anywhere fast... it is a great model, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I never knew this existed. The SLS AMG is the prime reason why I don't like Minichamps. They took lots of shortcuts on the SLS AMG. A car with such a huge mesh grille having solid grilles on a 1/18 model....coming from Minichamps? Stickers for the brake lights above the rear window? Bad mold flashes along the wheel wells? I didn't expect any of that from my Minichamps model. On mine, the "6.3" photoetch by the side grill is also slanted at ~20-degrees. Totally uncacceptable for a $110 model. The fact that Welly is able to provide open meshes for all of the grilles further makes you wonder whether collectors should take Minichamps seriously. As for the solid grille behind the Mercedes logo, this is accurate because having seen a couple videos of the SLS AMG, they appeared solid to me.

My original plan was to buy the Minichamps Porsche 2.7 RS after receiving the SLS AMG. I was really upset with their SLS AMG so I just decided to get Autoart's 2.7 RS.
Yes lots of minichamps models with solid grilles, it's so freakin annoying. So the mesh behind the logo is solid in real car too? really? i didn't know that... thanks :)

[/quote]

Here is a link to a good picture that makes me believe the grille behind the logo is solid: http://www.mibz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Kicherer-Present-SLS-AMG-Black-Edition-07.jpg

I also checked out a Mercedes in our work's parking ramp, and it also had a solid grille behind the Mercedes logo. Hopefully, I'll get to see a real SLS AMG in person sometime in the near future.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts