DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For along time, I had struggled with taking good photos of red cars. For some reason, when I go to compress the images down to <60kb, the surface of the car would look blotchy. Those photos were taken with two halogen lights. Moreover, the red paint appeared pinkish. That sure baffled the heck out of me. :confused

Yesterday, I had taken a few pictures of various cars in diffused sunlight. The improvements are pretty noticeable to me. When I do my colour correction, I can get the red accurate to the paint colour on the car.

So here are the photos for you to compare

(using 2 halogen bulbs .....ick :help )

(in sunlight)

The focus seems a lot better too using sunlight. The edges appear crisper overall. I'm not sure how exactly the focussing meachanism works but I'll say I'm starting to like this thing called sunlight. :giggle

(click for 800x530 pics, ~110 to 140kb)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Felix, the color changes are JPEG artifacts from excessive compression...

http://www.scantips.com/basics9j.html

When you compress a file, you throw out data (which includes colors). I have experienced the same effect when I prepare images for the Web. If you use Photoshop, and experience color changes when saving for the Web, check out this forum thread. Seems that the issue involves carrying the photo's color profile into the save process...

http://www.dgrin.com/archive/index.php/t-4410.html

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Felix, I assume you are using a reflective mylar board for your base, but what about the background? I used black a matte board base and a piece of black poster board for the back ground today and was not happy with the results at all. . .

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link Dr. Jeff. I'll have to read that in detail.

Do you have any insights about why my red car showed up with pinkish hues? I thought **maybe** the red got overlit by light and the red tones got washed out. Would that make sense?

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Shoot, I missed answering your thread earlier! :shipwrecked

I use one single sheet of reflective poster board. It measures approx. 70cm x 100cm. I can just get one 1:18 car onto it but not two. (That's why I couldn't pull off a shot with the 300SLR AND the CLK LM cars.) The secret is curving that back 1/3 of the board in such a way to eliminate all reflections from the light sources. This is really the key trick.

(Here's my typical set-up with the halogen lamps. The one aimed towards the ceiling is always turned off for my photos.) I turn the light to full brightness so I get the widest spectrum of light possible. Half-brightness seems to cast a slightless yellowish hue on the car.

I had tried a matte black post board in the past but find it ends up looking slate gray. One of my kids have since used it as material for their school project. :giggle

(example)

And here's some nasty glare from the sun coming throguh the window in my piano room. The window faces south. I've concluded I cannot take diecast photos in the room using sunlight because I cannot angle the cars in such a way to eliminate that ugly reflection from most cars.

The room I shoot my "sunlight" photos in is my kitchen which faces north. I have vertical blinds there to diffuse the light which makes all the difference in the world.

G

·
There's a set up that I would like to try...

Basically, I'm going to use only one light source and bounce it around, while using the darkness as a background in order to minimize unwanted reflections. This is going to be done at night, of course. :cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts