DiecastXchange Forum banner
721 - 740 of 774 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Got my Supra(s) today. The white one arrived with the targa loose. Took it out and noticed a scratch on it. I don’t intend to ever display the car with the roof on, am I being too picky? I noticed a wheel chip but whether that’s related to the targa I don’t know.

My perfectionist streak says to replace it, but my realist side says that I could get into an endless loop of receiving flawed cars.

The red one looks pretty bang on.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood Automotive lighting
Finger Creative arts Wood Rectangle Metal
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
392 Posts
Why so expensive? They are about half the price here. I got mine for about AUD61 the other day from a local store which to my surprise also has it way before the big online stores we know, along with the white one.
Yes it seems expensive in number terms but Autoarts are AUD$400 now, GT Spirits are around AUD$240 and ACME diecasts around AUD$250, so a Solido at $120 looks like decent value. The Australian dollar is only worth US$0.70 and we have high transport costs due to being in the middle of nowhere. And if we order from overseas the exchange rate and shipping costs mean you're paying about the same anyway. I bought a Norev Porsche from France for 48 Euro, but by the time shipping was added and then currency conversion it ended up at around AUD$115 (there is no Norev distributor in Australia). Wages are pretty high in Australia though, so there's also "the capacity to pay" that comes into it - if you have a look at the price of a 1:1 Porsche 911 Carrera you'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Got my Supra(s) today. The white one arrived with the targa loose. Took it out and noticed a scratch on it. I don’t intend to ever display the car with the roof on, am I being too picky? I noticed a wheel chip but whether that’s related to the targa I don’t know.

My perfectionist streak says to replace it, but my realist side says that I could get into an endless loop of receiving flawed cars.

Congrats! I think you maybe right the replacement could potentiall have other flaws too if you can live with the minor imperfections may just have to put up with them. Kind of remind me of my past experience with many of Welly's models. Most tend to arrive MIB with some form of paint chips or tiny black mark on the paint. I once took one back for exchange (and it was easy because that was at a local Kmart) and the replacement had other defects too LOL.

Yes it seems expensive in number terms but Autoarts are AUD$400 now, GT Spirits are around AUD$240 and ACME diecasts around AUD$250, so a Solido at $120 looks like decent value. The Australian dollar is only worth US$0.70 and we have high transport costs due to being in the middle of nowhere. And if we order from overseas the exchange rate and shipping costs mean you're paying about the same anyway. I bought a Norev Porsche from France for 48 Euro, but by the time shipping was added and then currency conversion it ended up at around AUD$115 (there is no Norev distributor in Australia). Wages are pretty high in Australia though, so there's also "the capacity to pay" that comes into it - if you have a look at the price of a 1:1 Porsche 911 Carrera you'll see what I mean!
The scale models definitely on a steady increase here in the Land Downunder. When I first started about 11 years ago. Autoart Millennium averaged at about $150 to $200. Typical 1/18 Maisto sold at local Toys R Us were $39.99 and add another $10 more for Shelby Collectibles. Then prices slowly creeping upward fast forward to today they want $79.99 for a Maisto and an Autoart can easily set you back by $300 or more. But I suppose there are still deals to be had but they are few and far between though. If i remember correctly my last Autoart purchase at local hobby shop was back in 17, a black Mazda Cosmo Sports for $200 and the boss was complaining to me that the repeated price increases on these scale models are slowly driving collectors away.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
The white one arrived with the targa loose. Took it out and noticed a scratch on it.

Perhaps asking for just a replacement roof panel from the dealer or Solido itself.
Solido claim to be 'collector' focused, point that out if you want to try going direct.
Let us know how you get on - knowledge is power....:rolleyes:

·
Forza
642 Posts
The Supra arrived at at least one of the german big sellers. Ordered the red. Finally I can add an 1:18 mk4 to the collection 😎

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Kinda "odd" how some big retailers received the Supra the day after their 20% super-duper discount expired, lel.

On a more serious note: It's a model that we've grown used to expect from Solido - a Solid-budget offering with decent details and a whiff of budgeting. Perfect for modders though. If I had the skills and was a big fan of the Supra (i am a casual one), I'd definitely get several to mod.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The Supra arrived at at least one of the german big sellers. Ordered the red. Finally I can add an 1:18 mk4 to the collection 😎
ah shoot! missed it by a week plus... oh well if i hold on til now i will miss out on the 20% sale LOL. Hopefully both red and white will still be available the next time I order :) or good chance Solido will be producing new colour variants.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ah shoot! missed it by a week plus... oh well if i hold on til now i will miss out on the 20% sale LOL. Hopefully both red and white will still be available the next time I order :) or good chance Solido will be producing new colour variants.
If they do a black targa I’ll swap my white one in a heartbeat. A black manual targa is my first lottery win car.

I asked the seller if they can get me a new roof, see what they say.

·
Administrator
7,104 Posts

maybe it's possible to polish the scratch if it is not too deep. i have been able to polish out an scratch on the targa roof on my Autoart Maserati MC12.

·
Registered
221 Posts
maybe it's possible to polish the scratch if it is not too deep. i have been able to polish out an scratch on the targa roof on my Autoart Maserati MC12.
I believe it’s the base material coming through somehow as the underside of the targa has some of the same blue in the less finished areas. I cannot necessarily feel it with my finger, but I have to believe it’s related to coming out of the package in transit.

I’ve buffed many a model before to remove all kinds of junk but I’m waiting to hear back from the eBay retailer prior to going too crazy on it. My kneejerk says it’s not coming out.

For now it’s just sitting in my case with the roof off looking awesome. I don’t plan to sell them ever or display with the roof off so it’s not the end of the road I suppose.

·
Registered
221 Posts
wait, so the hardtop has side windows but the targa does not? hmm didnt even notice that until just now.
Correct. The fit on the targa is kinda "meh" to be honest. I'll never display mine with it on, so it makes sense to have the windows down. That's why I'm so torn on the roof mark. I'll never see it, but it's "there".

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Correct. The fit on the targa is kinda "meh" to be honest. I'll never display mine with it on, so it makes sense to have the windows down. That's why I'm so torn on the roof mark. I'll never see it, but it's "there".
Agreed. The fit isn't perfect but for $54 plus shipping I'm happy. Looks better than the Kyosho and no paint rash. The hood and trunk do not open. Would've been cool to be able to store the targa top in the trunk like on the real car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Agreed. The fit isn't perfect but for $54 plus shipping I'm happy. Looks better than the Kyosho and no paint rash. The hood and trunk do not open. Would've been cool to be able to store the targa top in the trunk like on the real car.
I have to believe if you get creative you could snake it in there. I know it fits behind the front seats.

I ended up accepting a 15% refund for my car rather than get into a damaged car loop. I shot Solido an email asking if they have any spare roofs for laughs.

A small part of me still wants a Kyosho out of principle but…

·
Administrator
7,104 Posts
I have to believe if you get creative you could snake it in there. I know it fits behind the front seats.

I ended up accepting a 15% refund for my car rather than get into a damaged car loop. I shot Solido an email asking if they have any spare roofs for laughs.

A small part of me still wants a Kyosho out of principle but…
the fitment of the body parts arent great on the Kyosho Supra, the Solido is probably better, not just because of the sealed bonnet & trunk.
i guess i should make an comparison of the two when i buy a Solido Supra :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Had a go at sitting it inside. It does fit! Not as nice / easy as a full feature / full open but it does fit.

721 - 740 of 774 Posts